OT: A quick question about people, their feet, and guns.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-09-17 11:44, Karina wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it common for high schools to have their own rifle ranges? Oh well...
Not anymore, unfortunately. I had marksmanship/safety training in seventh grade in Colorado. It wasn't a part of the ordinary curriculum but was run after-hours at the school. It was called a "hunter's safety" course and was required to get a hunting license.

John
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

On 2002-09-17 11:25, burnsbyrne wrote:
At least no one has pulled out the "nazi" card. It used to come out regularly on the flamenco board I was on.
Mike
Dare I ask what the "nazi" card might be?
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2002-09-17 14:04, garycrosby wrote:
If a usenet flame war goes on long enough, someone will eventually end up calling someone else a nazi, or make comparisons to Hitler. Thus, the Nazi card. It got to be so prevalent that eventually "Godwin's Law" was created...a thread is officially dead when nazis get invoked.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

On 2002-09-17 14:04, garycrosby wrote:
On 2002-09-17 11:25, burnsbyrne wrote:
At least no one has pulled out the "nazi" card. It used to come out regularly on the flamenco board I was on.
Mike
The "nazi" card goes like this: In a continually escalating flame war the first one to call the other a nazi looses the flame war, automatically, no matter how good his argument was. I have seen the nazi card come out many times. Also just-barely-acceptable substitutes like calling someone the thought police or culture police, etc.

Mike Burns
(edited because...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burnsbyrne on 2002-09-17 15:03 ]</font>
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Thanks for the clarification Mike and Greg :smile:

[Edited to add Greg to my thanks]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-09-17 17:33 ]</font>
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I really want to know how a couple of women can shoot a whole town in our collective foot!
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2002-09-17 15:57, garycrosby wrote:
Thanks for the clarification Mike and Greg :smile:

[Edited to add Greg to my thanks]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-09-17 17:33 ]</font>
And here I was, about to get all offended-like :wink:
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

And here I was, about to get all offended-like :wink:
I'm just trying to avoid getting sued :wink:
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2002-09-17 17:58, Anna Martinez wrote:
I really want to know how a couple of women can shoot a whole town in our collective foot!
How about a VERY large shotgun?
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
BigTex

Post by BigTex »

My Grandaddy gave me some advice when I was eleven that has served me well over the years....

1) Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

2) Never take to sawin' on the branch that's supportin' ya, unless you're bein' hung from it.

3) When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

4)There's more ways to skin a cat than stickin' his head in a boot jack and jerkn' on his tail in public.

5) Be sure to taste your words before you spit'em out.

Big Tex
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-09-15 02:42, Walden wrote:
On 2002-09-15 01:34, madguy wrote:
The reason is simple...... guns shoot people in the foot, not people!
I do not believe in so-called gun control laws. But some people don't behave very responsibly. An old classmate of my father's tried to commit suicide with a handgun, once. He's still living, but has no nose.
So this guy with no nose? How does he smell?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Like he could use some Right Guard under his left arm too.
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-09-14 20:08, DaleWisely wrote:
Why do people shoot themselves in the foot?

It's not a riddle. I really want to know.

Dale Wisely
Chiff & Fipple HQ

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-09-15 10:02 ]</font>
Easy one. Two very likely answers:
1. carelessness
2. stupidity

I don't think this one bears further analysis. Oh, I suppose there is one extension of (2) - The Darwin Factor. Except that in that case, it'd be a shot to the head.
Think Nice Thoughts...
Bill Whedon
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-09-15 10:19, DaleWisely wrote:
On 2002-09-14 21:22, StevePower wrote:
I doubt that your question was actually about guns, in any 'real' sense, was it Dale? As usual, it appears that you are being subtle. I'd prefer you to come out with 'all guns blazing'.

Steve
No. I'm afraid I'd shoot myself in the foot.
Taking the question literally, you're obviously right Dale. Taken metaphorically, I'm not sure why you're so worried. We all have different reaction thresholds and I think this just adds welcome ironies to the human condition. It's not bad to shoot yourself in the foot if you can laugh at yourself later along with everybody else.

Let me elaborate a little. I got accused on another thread recently of shooting myself in the foot. I doubt very much whether I actually did this but, IMO, I did something much worse. I went off half-cocked. I made a post when I was angry. To be sure, I segued quickly into mock anger and then downright blarny but in those two sentences I'd said something that hurt another human being and I regretted it immediately I realised that I'd had that effect. So I just apologised—I hope it's been accepted. (I also resolved never again to post in anger.) How do they put it at the end of Sth. Park episodes: I think we've all learned something today. So what I hated was going off half cocked. I shot someone else and in a more painful place than the foot. If I also shot myself in the foot (unlikely) that's just incidental.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-09-17 15:02, burnsbyrne wrote:

The "nazi" card goes like this: In a continually escalating flame war the first one to call the other a nazi looses the flame war, automatically, no matter how good his argument was. I have seen the nazi card come out many times. Also just-barely-acceptable substitutes like calling someone the thought police or culture police, etc.

Obviously a useful resource. But one thing puzzles me. Do you automatically lose if you call someone a Nazi if they are openly and explicatly endorsing Nazi views? Seems a bit harsh to me. Of course, you wouldn't need to do that if you had good arguments but wars like this get tiresome. Logic books tend to treat all arguments against the person as fallacies but I think they do have a (very limited) rational use. If someone buttonholes you at a party, browbeats you with stupid arguments and opinions, won't listen, won't stop, won't take any hint you give however unsubtle, is it unreasonable to make a blunt personal remark at some stage? Sometimes abuse is just the tired person's shorthand for saying 'enough is enough'.