Stephen King has Jumped the Shark

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Stephen King has Jumped the Shark

Post by Tyghress »

This is the book that's done it. Lisey's Story. I've gotten through 20 pages and decided that Stephen King has passed on into the realm of self importance that has rendered his books utterly unreadable.

Done.
Fini.

And glad I didn't buy it.

He's pulled out every Kingism in his repertoire from 'pet names' for his characters to imagined conversations, 'tantalizing' hints at what is happening, mid-paragraph changes in time/place.

I have better things to read, and more cogent authors to spend my time with. I'm sure there are King fans who'll love it, but this copy is going back to the library tomorrow.

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I can't comment on Stephen King but I do congratulate you for deciding not to read a book that you have started. That is something I have a very hard time doing and I always end up kicking myself when I finish a bad book for the very reasons you give---I could have spent my time reading something much better and life is only so long.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cynth wrote:I can't comment on Stephen King but I do congratulate you for deciding not to read a book that you have started. That is something I have a very hard time doing and I always end up kicking myself when I finish a bad book for the very reasons you give---I could have spent my time reading something much better and life is only so long.
I have a policy: if I make it half way through a book and I don't enjoy reading it, I don't. I have done this with many books.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I remember I quit reading his books about the time I was halfway thru It. No more.

It's unfortunate, since I rate The Shining and The Stand as 2 of my favorite reads of all time.

Anyway, I often quit books if I don't like them after a few chapters.

I am having a tough time getting through The Living Blood right now, and I am not sure I am going to stay with it.... anyone else out there reading that one?

There are lots of books out there. I no longer read stuff I don't like in the hopes that it will "get better" further on into the story...

M

:party:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Christine was the death knell for me. That and those that followed seemed wooden and formulaic. The Stand, however, was the exception.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Umm, does this mean we'll have to rescind his invitation to guest-author a chapter in our serial novel?
Cotelette d'Agneau
missy

Post by missy »

I tried three times to read "It" - just couldn't do it.

I think I began to loose interest in his books with "Pet Cemetary". The book was going along great, kept my interest, and then it seemed like "Opps- we have 500 pages here, better end it NOW". So everyone dies and comes back to life, and the book ends!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I've always preferred King's short stories to his full-length ones - with the exception of The Stand, which is on my all-time favorites list too.

I used to have a hard time not finishing a book I started, but I have gotten much better at it. Now I have no problem just putting it down, or sometimes throwing it against the wall. With 100 or so books in my to-be-read pile (really a bookcase) I always have something else to read.....
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

It would have been better - well, lots shorter, anyway - had King not typed every syllable of the stuttering child's dialogue. (That was in It, wasn't it?)

Can anyone explain the turtle? I never did get what the turtle was about.
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Stephen King has Jumped the Shark

Post by Tyler »

Tyghress wrote:This is the book that's done it. Lisey's Story. I've gotten through 20 pages and decided that Stephen King has passed on into the realm of self importance that has rendered his books utterly unreadable.

Done.
Fini.

He's pulled out every Kingism in his repertoire from 'pet names' for his characters to imagined conversations, 'tantalizing' hints at what is happening, mid-paragraph changes in time/place.

I have better things to read, and more cogent authors to spend my time with. I'm sure there are King fans who'll love it, but this copy is going back to the library tomorrow.

Tyg
Finished Lisey's Storey over the weekend...it's definately not his best effort, but my copy was a gift, and at the speed I read, I'm not out anything... :D
He's pulled out every Kingism in his repertoire
Would you rather he pulled out Hammettisms, Ruleisms, Robbisms, Connellyisms, Gonzoisms, Tolkienisms, Lovcraftisms, Adlerisms, Andrewsisms, Asimovisms, Crichtonisms, Cusslerisms, Baldwinisms, Cardisms, Koontzisms, Zindelisms, Wolfeisms, Williamsisms, Ellisisms, De Vriesisms, Brownisms of all sorts, or, heaven forbid, Hemingwayisms?

Kings books have been predictable (more or less) for decades (yet I still keep coming back, hmmm... :P ).
You's knew what you's was gettin' into! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I third "The Stand" and "The Shining" as two of my favorite novels. I also could not get through "It". My wife read it though.

I'd still like to read "The Cell" but I'm waiting for paperback.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've read most all of his stuff up until more recent novels, The Stand and The Shining being my favorites. I agree that the later books are not quiet as good as some of the earlier writings. I did read "It" but don't remember much. I think the last one I read was the Buick 8 book, and while it was entertaining, it was way too predictable.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
The Weekenders

Re: Stephen King has Jumped the Shark

Post by The Weekenders »

Tyghress wrote:This is the book that's done it. Lisey's Story. I've gotten through 20 pages and decided that Stephen King has passed on into the realm of self importance that has rendered his books utterly unreadable.

Done.
Fini.

That's why I love the library. I don't buy fiction, period... I know the publishing industry hates me, but, oh well...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Weeks, you are a parsimonious git. I'll bet you begrudge every tissue you pull out of the box. :wink:

By the way, I'd never encountered the phrase "jumping the shark" before. Sounds like a highly xtreme, to say nothing of illegal, romantic encounter.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Nanohedron wrote:Weeks, you are a parsimonious git. I'll bet you begrudge every tissue you pull out of the box. :wink:
They say I am conservative, after all. I mean, really. You read it once, unless it's LITERATURE. And King ain't that, right??? I willingly, well, gladly, I mean, carefully, buy books on the subject of Calif. history. I have a lot too! Best part is, most are used!! Mwahahahaha.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?