Noob Intro

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Scampi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Also in Salem!

Post by Scampi »

Hey Fightin', I'm also in Salem and a total newbie to the whistle. I pick it up here and there, and sometimes practice more than others, but things get busy with kids and work, etc., and so I remain a newbie. Catching up with others who are learning has helped.

I had a bit of WhoA a while back, which has subsided... a bit. I ended up with a Water Weasel in D, two wonderful Hoover Whitecaps (one a Feadog, what a difference that Whitecap made! -- the other one is my favorite whistle, a Clare), and an old Sweetheart wooden whistle in D that has a wonderfully warm and full sound. Perhaps one of the best whistles I have is a wide bore Walton in D. Warm, Mellow, I truly enjoy this one when first learning a tune. I have a relatively new (used very very little) Dixon D that I just can't seem to make work. I don't know what gives with that one. Never returned it, never use it. The others are just no good and I haven't bothered tweaking them: an Acorn and an Oak. Both are just screechy.

In any case, if looking for others interested in the whistle in Salem, let me know. I'm near Willamette Univ.'s campus.
The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers, -- Basho
Fighting For Air

Re: Also in Salem!

Post by Fighting For Air »

Scampi wrote:Hey Fightin', I'm also in Salem and a total newbie to the whistle.

I had a bit of WhoA a while back, which has subsided... a bit.

In any case, if looking for others interested in the whistle in Salem, let me know. I'm near Willamette Univ.'s campus.

Very cool... thanks for the reply. I'd love to meet up with some local whistle folk... just to talk whistle, get some tips... whatever. I live over on the West side but work up in Keizer.

By the way... what does "WhoA" mean ?
- Robert
shadeclan

Re: Also in Salem!

Post by shadeclan »

Fighting For Air wrote: By the way... what does "WhoA" mean ?
Whistle Obsessive Acquisition disorder. See this link:
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whoa.html
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Welcome; do not fight the darkness of WHOA; it envelopes all who reside here... :twisted: Ok, just kidding, about the evil darkness thing, not about the WHOA!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Fighting For Air

Well... I don't have the full on "Whoa" yet... I'm pretty content with the 3 that I've got right now. I'm noticing many differences between each one and how they all play just a bit differently.

The Sweetheart Dynmondwood is definitely the easiest to play and seems to me to sound the cleanest. The Burke seems to have a much more "airy" sound especially on the lower notes and requires much more air up high.

Even though the Feadog is the hardest for me to play cleanly, I still like it too cause I can just toss it in my truck, take it with me wherever I go and I'm not worried about banging it up.

I think if I can find a good low D that won't be too difficult to play and won't break the bank... that should pretty much round out my whistle desires for the time being.

Working on Donegal Reel right now and it is taking me a while. Still working on getting those first 30 or so notes down cleanly. These faster tunes are going to be giving me many more fits than that slower stuff I've been playing up until now.

Ciao...
- Robert
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Aanvil wrote:Great bunch of folks the CnFers are (hmm... that don't sound right :D )
Wouldn't be the first time I've been called an F-er. :D

Welcome!

Keep practicing Fighting For Air.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cynth wrote:Hello! It's nice to meet you.

I have heard of people talk about software that will slow down music without changing the pitch. People seem to find several types (I know some are free) of this software helpful for learning tunes. You would probably still have to play the part over and over. I don't really know anything about it or how you would get the tune from your DVD onto the computer. Perhaps you already know about this. I'm sure someone can give you more specific information if it is something you are interested in. Also, I think I have heard of things that will play a phrase as a repeated loop, so you don't have to keep manually setting it to start at a particular spot. Obviously, I am not very far beyond pushing a stop-start button myself :lol: .

It sounds like you are doing really well.
I use the Amazing Slow-Downer, and I love it! It is incredibly useful for me for learning tunes, as I have to repeat things a lot before I can get them, and it allows me to control the speed, pitch, and even the start and end points of the section I'm listening to. And yes, you can loop. It's a bit pricey, but others have said the free types are good too. I would definitely recommend getting one.

Oh, and WELCOME! :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Fighting For Air

anniemcu wrote:
Cynth wrote:Hello! It's nice to meet you.

I have heard of people talk about software that will slow down music without changing the pitch.
I use the Amazing Slow-Downer, and I love it! It is incredibly useful for me for learning tunes, as I have to repeat things a lot before I can get them, and it allows me to control the speed, pitch, and even the start and end points of the section I'm listening to. And yes, you can loop. It's a bit pricey, but others have said the free types are good too. I would definitely recommend getting one.

Oh, and WELCOME! :)

So... what's the price for this "Amazing Slow-Downer"? Got any names for any of the freeware and/or where I can find them or the "slow downer" software?

Thanks.
- Robert
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Hello and welcome.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"