A great night

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

A great night

Post by carrie »

Tonight I had the pleasure of a long anticipated, oft delayed celebration of having received the master/apprentice awardwith my whistle teacher, James Conway, from the Illinois Arts Council--unbelievably four years ago now. The celebration had always been planned to be at a wonderful restaurant, La Donna, on Chicago's north side, and there indeed we finally met tonight. Our regular whistle lessons stopped about three years ago and our meetings were few and far between in these last years, what with new children arriving for Jim and his wife--including little Lila, born just last month--and the usual host of life's preoccupations and responsibilities.

But what a joy to finally get together! I know many of you have enjoyed Jim's CD, Mouth Box as well as his occasional contributions to the board. Just wanted everyone to know he's doing great, full of new music and great ideas, still playing with The Sprigs and forming new partnerships as well. He showed me, btw, the HB-40 harmonica that has had some discussion on the squeezebox forum...it's big!

If you saw me this afternoon, stuck at my computer writing a lesson on reflective essays, weary and worn, you would not recognize me now after such a thoroughly uplifting evening. Whistles have been the foundation of our friendship, and I owe Jim so much for both his excellent teaching and his inspiration. I don't know another whistler with a sweeter sound, nor another musician with a sweeter personality. Just wanted to share the joy!

Carol
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Thanks for letting us share a bit of that joy, Carol! :)
Alan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Thanks Carol. Nice to hear of Jim again.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Completely nifty. Congrats.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

congrats to you both! :party:
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Wonderful, Carol! The chat room folks want to know the most important thing of all, though: what did you have to eat? :D

Susan
carrie

Post by carrie »

Ah yes, Susan, the essentials: risotto pescatore for il maestro and a spinach roulade for il acolyte. Delicious.

Jim is showing alarming symptoms of "losing your marbles because you have kids" syndrome. After the waitress told us the day's specials and left so we could think it over, he said, "What did she say? While she was talking I was wondering if I had remembered to put the custom harmonicas out of the kids' reach..."

Carol
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

You've spurred me on to getting in touch with him again. He's THE harmonica maestro in ITM! He'll be getting a big Christmas card this year! :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Congrats!
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. And Steve, let me add another voice urging you to come to the SPAH convention next summer in Milwaukee, same time as the Irish Fest. I really enjoyed the Irish Fest there this past summer.

Carol
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Congrats-ski!!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?