PlayStation 3

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

PlayStation 3

Post by Dale »

Bought one for $2500 from a guy in front of BestBuy. Got it home and it has a place to pour in kerosene. Looks a lot like a space heater. Have I screwed up AGAIN??
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

A guy here in the office was bragging that he got his brother to buy one for him in Maine today. It will be here in Denver in time for his boy to open it on Christmas morning.

I was reading several reviews on the X-box 360 PS3 and Wii yesterday. I would actually conisder laying out the scratch for one of these systems if I actually had the time to sit and play it.

Of course now most games seem to be first person shooters involved in defeating demons in hell or reinacting the Normandy invasion... I'm not sure that would be a healthy mental diet.

what ever happened to pong?
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Congratulations

Consoles are only good for racing games and fighters. All other games should be played on a computer.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Congratulations wrote:Consoles are only good for racing games and fighters. All other games should be played on a computer.
I dissagree.
Well, I agree that racing and fighting games are superior on console, but I would say pretty much all games that are the same for both computer and console are better played on console. Why bother with installations, system requirements, cd-keys and on-line registration, bugs, lagg, and all that kind of stuff when you can just put in a disc and go nuts from your favourite armchair. These days you can play online on all consoles as well.

The only genre I can think of that I really prefer to play on the computer are strategy games, but that has more to do with the game developers than anything else.

BTW, I'm going for PS3, but not yet. I'm not standing in line at the release. I plan to get it maybe a year or so after it's been released, just like I've done with both Play Station and PS2.
I trust the brand name. Sony has been unbeatable the last couple of years. It doesn't matter what anyone tell you about preformance and technical details. 60 million sold PS2 consoles, the worlds most popular home electronics product of all times say it all. PS3, just like the previous consoles will have better games and it will last a lot longer.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

There was a woman on the radio today who was actually happy her high school son skipped class to stand in line to buy one of these things that he's probably going to turn around and sell on Ebay, "because it teaches him how he has to work hard to get something he really wants" (Oh, and she loaned him the money to buy the thing, too). :boggle:
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Congratulations

Henke wrote:BTW, I'm going for PS3, but not yet.
Yeah, you should probably wait until they release some games for it.
Congratulations

I just saw on the news that there have been shootings over these things. :-?
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

Henke wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Consoles are only good for racing games and fighters. All other games should be played on a computer.
I dissagree.
Well, I agree that racing and fighting games are superior on console, but I would say pretty much all games that are the same for both computer and console are better played on console. Why bother with installations, system requirements, cd-keys and on-line registration, bugs, lagg, and all that kind of stuff when you can just put in a disc and go nuts from your favourite armchair. These days you can play online on all consoles as well.

The only genre I can think of that I really prefer to play on the computer are strategy games, but that has more to do with the game developers than anything else.

BTW, I'm going for PS3, but not yet. I'm not standing in line at the release. I plan to get it maybe a year or so after it's been released, just like I've done with both Play Station and PS2.
I trust the brand name. Sony has been unbeatable the last couple of years. It doesn't matter what anyone tell you about performance and technical details. 60 million sold PS2 consoles, the worlds most popular home electronics product of all times say it all. PS3, just like the previous consoles will have better games and it will last a lot longer.
The articles I read tended to come to many of the same conclusions.

360 - best graphics and already a year in on development of games at this level. Readily available, best graphics, best online service, mid priced.

PS3 - best backward compatible (almost all PS and PS2 games will work) widest user base, latest drive type able to play in HD and discs holding 5Xs the data of a standard DVD. Very limited release, mid level online services, Very High cost.

Wii - Unique controllers, worst of the three for online services, most innovative games, huge "family friendly" library of titles. Least expensive.

Interestingly, they mentioned that the new breed of consoles are able to run real-time strategy games previously relegated to PCs.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

rebl_rn wrote:There was a woman on the radio today who was actually happy her high school son skipped class to stand in line to buy one of these things that he's probably going to turn around and sell on Ebay, "because it teaches him how he has to work hard to get something he really wants" (Oh, and she loaned him the money to buy the thing, too). :boggle:
I boggle with you! We weren't allowed to miss school unless we were actually throwing up. And it wasn't good enough to feel like you were going to. You had to do it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Henke wrote:
I dissagree.

Oh, that's silly. :P
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:
rebl_rn wrote:There was a woman on the radio today who was actually happy her high school son skipped class to stand in line to buy one of these things that he's probably going to turn around and sell on Ebay, "because it teaches him how he has to work hard to get something he really wants" (Oh, and she loaned him the money to buy the thing, too). :boggle:
I boggle with you! We weren't allowed to miss school unless we were actually throwing up. And it wasn't good enough to feel like you were going to. You had to do it.
You had to do it more than once, too. And just having a fever wasn't enough, either. You had to have spots along with it.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

The hype about Playstation 3 and the continuous news coverage about the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes wedding seems a little . . . dare I say . . . frivolous? Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Dale, don't be upset. A space heater is far more useful . . . the playstation 3 only has a thirty minute burn in the fireplace. The Cruise/Holmes marriage won't last much longer, either.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Except for these:
http://katamari.namco.com/

Totally strange and amazingly addictive. Huge amounts of fun!

Oh, golf games are fun on the console too. I particularly like Outlaw Golf on my PS2. The gameplay is not as good as the Tiger Woods games, but the players are more interesting:
http://www.globalstarsoftware.com/outlawgolf2/

Terrific soundtracks to both games, BTW
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cynth wrote:I boggle with you!
Finally, a game I have heard of.

Any one here play Go?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."