Bass/Baritone Bb Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bdh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Bass/Baritone Bb Whistles

Post by bdh »

Hi all,

I'm in love with Lúnasa's recording of "Inion Ni Scannlain", and so I'm keen to find out more about the bass/baritone (or "low low") Bb whistle. I've been told that Sean plays an Overton/Goldie whistle for this tune. My question is are there any other whistle makers making whistles in this key?

Cheers,
Brett.
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
arnie

Post by arnie »

Recently I read in a thread that the Overtons are the only ones, But John Sindt makes them, Phil Hardy (Chieftain) makes them, Susato has one for the price of $39,- ( http://www.susato.com/Susatowhistles.htm ), and I my guess is that there are more. On Colin Goldie's Overton-website there's a picture of Colin and Bernard Overton playing a low Bb (huge instrument that is!). On the website of Sassagroves you'll find all important makers and their website and you can find out yourself whether there are more low Bb and where to find them for what price. Succes!
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

arnie wrote:Recently I read in a thread that the Overtons are the only ones, But John Sindt makes them,
Sindt?! I have never heard of Jon Sindt making Bb bass whistles, regular low A whistles (almost an octave higher!) being the lowest, as far as I know.
Phil Hardy (Chieftain) makes them, Susato has one for the price of $39,- ( http://www.susato.com/Susatowhistles.htm )
The Susato on that page is definitely a regular Bb whistle. The lowest being offered on that page is a low-low C whistle, priced at $139.90.

You're right that Phil Hardy at least used to make bass Bb whistles (Chieftains) - I have one myself, as a matter of fact. Don't know if he still makes them, though. And yes, Colin Goldie makes them too (or at least he used to).
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I don't think Phil makes them anymore - perhaps he might have a spare tube to fit on a low D if you ask him? I am sure Daniel Bingamon could make one.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

. I believe Alba makes them ...but you have to contact Stacy (whistle is not listed on the alba site)
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Alba does indeed make them. I have a bass Bb/C set that she made me a few years ago, and it's a good one. Totally different character than my Overton Bass A, with the one slight drawback being the Alba takes TONS of air - almost no backpressure at all. But it results in this big round low sound. I love the Overton for the character of its sound - I love the Alba for the roundness of its sound.

Potato - Po-tah-to... they're both sweet whistles. :)
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll do a more thorough investigation, email some of the makers, and report back with my findings. Otherwise, if there are any makers reading this I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,
B.
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

FWIW, Sean doesn't play a Low Bb he plays a regualr Bb after the bridge section and the thing you here playing at the begining is Kevin's Bb Flute.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Unseen122 wrote:FWIW, Sean doesn't play a Low Bb he plays a regualr Bb after the bridge section and the thing you here playing at the begining is Kevin's Bb Flute.
If you look at the credits on the album it says "Sean plays Colin Goldie Low Bflat whistle" and on that track Kevin also plays a Bflat flute. On the album you can hear also a higher pitched whistle as well as the other two. But when we have seen them play live it is only the Low Bb flute and Low Bb whistle.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
bdh

Post by bdh »

Unseen122 wrote:FWIW, Sean doesn't play a Low Bb he plays a regualr Bb after the bridge section and the thing you here playing at the begining is Kevin's Bb Flute.
In any event, why should the flautists get all the fun? *I* want to play from the beginning! :party:

Quick update on the Low Low Bb:
1. Mack Hoover is going to experiment and get back to me.
2. Michael from Susato has suggested that while a Low Low Bb is something that they might consider in the future, it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
3. Have sent an email to Daniel @ Jubilee.

Are there any other makers willing to have a go?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Well, how many Low Bb's do you need? I had a lovely one by Bernard Overton but let it go, keeping the low low C and the bass A. Gorgeous. (If I needed a low low Bb again, I would stick with Overton's, whether Colin's or Bernard's. But then that won't come as a surprise, I guess.)
/Bloomfield
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bloomfield wrote:Well, how many Low Bb's do you need? I had a lovely one by Bernard Overton but let it go, keeping the low low C and the bass A. Gorgeous. (If I needed a low low Bb again, I would stick with Overton's, whether Colin's or Bernard's. But then that won't come as a surprise, I guess.)
It is in good hands. I also have a bass A too. Now where is that G? :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

I have it :D !!

Talbert St. Claire
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Those bass G's are outrageous! I think it would be really cool though cause nobody would know what the heck your playing.
bdh

Post by bdh »

Update:
1. Mack has improvised his low C mouthpiece on a 30" tube to get a baritone Bb note.
2. Daniel can make whistles in baritone Bb for the same price as his low C.