Newbie trying to choose a new whistle- need advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which is best?

Susato SB
5%
Susato VSB
3%
Syn Soprano D
43%
Jerry Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog D
49%

Total votes: 37

davey@nozen.net
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newbie trying to choose a new whistle- need advice

Post by davey@nozen.net »

Hi all,

I currently have a tweaked clark sweetone and a Dixon soprano D. I like the sound and feel of the Dixon but I have great troubles with overblowing the D. It's either underblown and wavery or overblows. Yes, I'm a beginner and maybe it's just me but it's frustrating. The only way I can get it not to overblow is just kinda sigh with my lips partly parted. I do like the quietness as I live in an apartment and don't want to subject my neighbors to my attempts at playing.

The sweetone is much easier to play but the sound isn't as nice- kinda raspy and airy. I understand some find this desirable but it grates on my nerves. Just my preference.... not wanting to start any arguments! Also the small metal tubular construction is a bit rough on the fingers. I play it a little to work out a tune then am back on the dixon asap.

So... with a mild case of WHOA I was thinking of buying something else. With the nice sound and feel of the dixon yet with the easy playability of the sweetone. Any ideas?

From some research, the top contenders are:

Susato SB or VSB D

Syn Soprano D

Jerry Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog D

At the extreme end might be a burke but it's had to justify the $$$ being just a beginner.

With my untrained ears, I can't tell a lot of difference with the mp3's I've heard online.

Thanks for any feedback!

Davey
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I've tried all of them but the MellowDog. I liked the Syn the best. Surprisingly close to an Abell, actually. I don't really care for Susatos at all.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Congratulations wrote:I've tried all of them but the MellowDog. I liked the Syn the best. Surprisingly close to an Abell, actually. I don't really care for Susatos at all.
Same here. Susato's are hell for beginners too.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Those Susatos are going to sound thin and reedy. I third the notion to avoid them.

The problems are going to clear up with time and practice. That isn't saying you shouldn't get another whistle now, but just that you'll go back to these two whistles in 6 months and they'll seem just fine.

Try to avoid the idea that you only get to buy ONE whistle and that you have to find the perfect whistle to buy.

WhOA exists because the whistle is a delightfully imperfect instrument. They are all unique and wonderful in their own way, but all are imperfect. In the quest to experience the spectrum of whistle imperfection . . . the essence of whistleness . . . we need lots and lots of whistles. Fortunately, they're cheap.

My advice is to keep playing both those whistles and to buy a slightly less cheap one.

I have a Burke that's about the least imperfect whistle I have. A Black Diamond D and C are also hardly imperfect. They're worth the money.

If you get something like that, you'll spend a little more on it, but you'll know it's a good whistle. That alone will keep you from searching endlessly for the perfect whistle. I think you'll be satisfied with working with that one whistle until you get a bit better. In that respect, the more expensive whistle will be less expensive in the long run than a slew of chud-whistles.

Can you describe the problem with the Clarke? It's rough on the fingers? Do you mean the metal is rough? Mine isn't.
Cotelette d'Agneau
KATaylor5

Post by KATaylor5 »

Aye, I am a newbie as well...though you couldn't tell by collection...soooo many whistles so little time.

I have a Susato SB D, a Syn D, and Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog (plus many others I don't want to admit too:)

Out of the 3, the Syn is the best for what I'm currently using it for,...playing a solo in a Christian band. The sound is pure, not airy like the clarke sweetone (which I also own)

The tweaked Mellow Dog IS a nice whistle though!...the problem, can't really tune it easily. Jerry works on the fipple but must glue it back down cuz mine doesn't move...he did weld some metal onto the end of the tube to make it longer and play more in tune.

It has a nice sound but it's a quiet whistle....good for practicing. When i need more volume I use the Syn. Last week, I wanted even more volume with my band so I thought I'd try the Susato. It was louder of course but wasn't as consistently in tune as the Syn and the band noticed it right away. Granted, the tune I'm playing is a slow solo so, I'm staying with the Syn. If i were playin something fast and loud I may use the Susato.

The Susato doesn't bother me all that much because I'm a professional clarinet player so I'm used to using a lot of air. but I agree, it is not advised for the beginner.

hope that helps! I dont' think it would hurt to have both the Syn and the Mellow Dog.

I bought a C/D/Eb set and contacted Erle for a Bb body. He sent one out and it only cost me $15 US (for the Bb body, not the whole set:) Luckily, the one he sent did fit my headjoint.

Erle was so nice. He treated me like I was buying a $300 whistle even though I was only buying a $15 body. Quick response to email. Real nice guy and great service. I was surprised he had time for lil' ole me:)
markbell

Post by markbell »

I've not cared for the two Susatos that I have owned. I can't personally speak to either of the others, however. I hear lots of good things about the Syns from folks who have them.

I have a Dixon non-tuneable that I played just a bit when I first got it, then put it away. I have lately played it more, and it's a pretty nice whistle for the very modest price.

My all-time favorite is the Clarke traditional, with the thumb-mashed windway tweak. I'm a cheap whistle freak.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Burke!!!
davey@nozen.net

Post by davey@nozen.net »

So far the Syn's have it. Is a burke worth 3x as much as a Syn??

I know, get both and try them! :wink:

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Davey
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I am not been that fond of my Susato, or the other ones I've tried.

I have, and love, my Freeman Tweeked Mellow-Dog.

I've not had the opportunity to try a Syn.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I you want a Susato, get a recorder. They sound the same but the recorder is chromatic.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

davey@nozen.net wrote:So far the Syn's have it. Is a burke worth 3x as much as a Syn??

I know, get both and try them! :wink:

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Davey
Ha! My vote makes the MellowDog and the Syn neck and neck (8 votes apiece)! :twisted:

I haven't tried the Syn, but I really like my MellowDog.

Jerry also tweaks SweeTones. Maybe you'd like one of his.
Wormdiet wrote:If you want a Susato, get a recorder. They sound the same but the recorder is chromatic.
re(hack)cor(cough)der(wheeze)?! :shock: :boggle:
Steer clear of recorders - no really!
Their destructive power is legendary!
Last edited by shadeclan on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Davey, check your pm's (private messages)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Wormdiet wrote:I you want a Susato, get a recorder. They sound the same but the recorder is chromatic.
That's such a crock - Susato's are a fine whistle when played by someone who knows how to play a whistle properly - Sean Ryan uses one as his main whistle and he is one of the finest whistle players in Ireland today.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

KATaylor5 wrote:The tweaked Mellow Dog IS a nice whistle though!...the problem, can't really tune it easily. Jerry works on the fipple but must glue it back down cuz mine doesn't move...he did weld some metal onto the end of the tube to make it longer and play more in tune.
This is very strange.

I don't glue the mouthpiece. I've never found them hard to move. Try twisting and pulling. They tend to be among the easier to tune of the plastic whistlehead type whistles. If you can't get it to move, please send it back to me so I can figure out why it isn't acting normally.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Susatos don't sound like recorders to me either.

Here's a simple experiment:

Kevin Crawford playing Island Paddy on a Susato:
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movies/Lun ... _2005a.wmv

Andrew McKee of the Brobdinagian Bards playing a Yamaha recorder
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... ?ref=nosim

They just don't sound the same to me.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║