Little Black D mouthpiece on a Feadog body?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Does it fit? Has anyone tried doing this and liked the results? I'm just full of questions this evening... :razz:

Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Just to clarify... I'm trying to find a way to make my Feadog body "work". I've tried tweaking to no avail.

Andrea ~*~
psychih

Post by psychih »

On 2002-09-27 15:34, aderyn_cyrdd wrote:
Does it fit? Has anyone tried doing this and liked the results? I'm just full of questions this evening... :razz:

Andrea
Yep, it works and fits snugly. Sounds more like a Waltons...but a little different. I've got to get around to tweaking my Feadóg.
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

I've found that the most important part is the fipple end. The body doesn't make as much difference. A Waltons fipple on another body will sound somewhat different, but it will still have that characteristic pop to it.

I have almost every inexpensive whistle model from the Whistle Shop and a few Cillian OBriain(sp?) Improved models. I've mixed and matched them all. Currently I'm liking the head off of a Clare nickle one piece and a nickle Generation body. Another good combination has been a Generation fipple on a Clare two piece body.

I always fill in the cavity of the whistle with Sticky Tack. That seems to help.

Enough rambling. Hope this helps.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Yeah, it works well, and the resulting whistle is, I think, better than either the LBW or Feadog in their original form. A little piece of scotch tape on the tube makes a nice snug fit.
Last edited by tin tin on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I'm with Micah. I hated the tuning (or lack therof) on my little black. My feadog was in tune but miserably raspy. The hybrid is better than the sum of its parts. Mine fit together perfectly - no teflon tape needed.

The leftover parts made an ugly looking and sounding whistle that my 4-year-old son just loves.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The leftover parts delight my cat...he bats around the fipple and the tube independently. Last night, as I was trying to get him to attack something other than me, I heard myself say "Milo, where's your fipple?"
Gary
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Gary »

The Walton LBW head on a Feadog tube is a common tweak. It makes an excellent, in tune, whistle. Of my 26 whistles, the "Little Black Dog" is my favorite.

Do a search of the forum. The's lots of info on this.
Tantus

Post by Tantus »

I've tried something a little different. I took the head off my Feadog (the first version) and put it on an Oak body. I've yet to come across a finer cylindrical whistle than that. Good luck finding an original feadog though... The current ones are buzzy like an oak and are inferior IMO. Also a blue generation head on a Feadog body is really nice sounding as well.

Nick