Frankie Kennedy Winter School 2006-7

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Frankie Kennedy Winter School 2006-7

Post by bradhurley »

Details for this year's Frankie Kennedy Winter school arrived this morning. They don't list all the flute instructors; they'll probably have them on the website shortly (http://frankiekennedy.com/).

This year’s Frankie Kennedy Winter School will take place from Wednesday, 27th December 2006 until Tuesday 2nd January 2007. All the events will take place in Gaoth Dobhair, Co Donegal. We will be using 2 principal venues during the school, the Dunlewey Lakeside Centre in Dunlewey and Ostan Ghaoth Dobhair in Magheraclogher.

Classes will be provided in the following:- flute, fiddle, uilleann pipes, tin whistle, bodhran, button accordion, sean nos singing, house dancing and accompaniment (guitar/bouzouki). Classes are not suitable for beginners. Students are encouraged to bring recording devices to the class.

The fee for classes is euro 85. You can book for the classes or book tickets for any of the concerts by contacting the Frankie Kennedy Winter School at: Phone: +353 87 930 9656 or email: beanana@eircom.net or by post to: The Frankie Kennedy Winter School, An Chrannog, Derrybeg, Letterkenny, Co Donegal enclosing payment in full by draft, cheque, postal order or credit card.

Early booking is advisable as class sizes will be restricted and all bookings will be on a first come first served basis.

Weather: please remember that this is a Winter school so be prepared for the weather, good or bad.

To mark the 10th anniversary of the school in 2004, we published a CD of flute music called An Gaoth Aduaidh/The North Wind, which will be available this year at a special price of €15.

Getting Here

The venues are Ionad Cois Locha, Dunlewey, and Ostan Gaothdobhair, Bunbeg. These are both in the Parish of Gweedore, on the coast, in the north west of Donegal (the top left hand corner of Ireland)
on a map look for Bloody Foreland (on the sea) and work your way south for about 3 miles.

Driving - via Letterkenny or Donegal Town take road number N56

By air - there is a daily flight to Carrickfin Airport (5 miles away) ex Dublin

By bus - excellent daily services by private operators from Dublin, Galway and Belfast direct to Gweedore
ex Dublin (about 5 hrs) - call Mc Ginley Buses at 074 - 35201
ex Galway (about 5 hrs) - call Feda O Donnell Buses at 075 - 48114
ex Belfast (about 4 hrs) +- call O Donnell Coaches at 075 – 48356

Schedule

Dé Céadaoin/Wednesday 27.12.06

08.00pm Oscailt Oifigiúl/Official Opening le Robbie Hannan Teach Huidí Beag, Bunbeg

Déardaoin/Thursday 28.12.06

10.00am Clarú do ranganna / Registration for classes Ionad Cois Locha €85
11.30am Tús leis na ranganna / Classes begin Ionad Cois Locha
16.00pm ‘Flute Blow Out’ / Na Flutes Ostan Gaothdobhair €12
08.30pm Coirm Ceoil / Concert : Ionad Cois Locha €15
Paddy, Seamus & Kevin Glackin

Dé hAoine/Friday 29.12.06

11.30am Ranganna / Classes Ionad Cois Locha
16.00pm Na Fidealacha / The Fiddles Ostan Gaothdobhair €12
08.30pm Coirm Ceoil / Concert : Ionad Cois Locha €18
West Ocean String Quartet
le Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill

Dé Sathairn/Saturday 30.12.06

16.00pm An Damhsa/ The Dance Ostan Gaothdobhair €12
(le Connie McKelvey & Ann Connaghan;
Seosamh O Neachtain agus Roisin Ni Mhainin)
08.30pm Coirm Ceoil / Concert : Ionad Cois Locha €15
Téada

Dé Domhnaigh/Sunday 31.12.06

16.00pm Matinee: Marcas Ó Murchú & Cairde Ostan Gaothdobhair €12
10.00pm Ceilí an Scoil Gheimhridh/Winter School Party TBA
(for participants & contributors of the Winter School)

Dé Luain/Monday 01.01.07

16.00pm Na hAm hráin / The Songs Ostan Gaothdobhair €12
le Cór Thaobh a’Leithid
08.30pm Coirm Ceoil / Concert: Ionad Cois Locha €20
Altan #1

Dé Máirt/Tuesday 02.01.07

08.30pm Coirm Ceoil / Concert: Ionad Cois Locha €20
Altan #2
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Ah, I ache for the chance to be there! Can you imagine welcoming the new year among fellow flute players and other ITM people on one of the most remote and storm-lashed of coasts in a warm, cozy pub? You can have your Willie Clancy's, Ennis Trad Fest, Ballyshannon's. If I could afford it , I'd be in Dunlewey come December 27.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Are the dates always about the same? We have a family wedding in Dublin next winter, and we were thinking about not going until I read your notice. Maybe it's time to start saving!

Jennie
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Jennie wrote:Are the dates always about the same? We have a family wedding in Dublin next winter, and we were thinking about not going until I read your notice. Maybe it's time to start saving!

Jennie
Always roughly the same, starting a few days after Christmas and ending a day or two after New Year's.
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Think I'll give it a miss this year.

Line up doesn't interest me in the slightest. Same old new old.

Impossible place to get a nice session.
Hotel is like a big Carribean Cruise Ship and Hudies is always bunged with plonkers beating guitars and bodhrans.

Sorry for sounding so negative. Anyone feel the same?

Sean
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

seananfheadog wrote: Hotel is like a big Carribean Cruise Ship and Hudies is always bunged with plonkers beating guitars and bodhrans.
And what exactly is wrong with that?

Oh wait. You didn't say "plonkers beating up on guitarists and bodhranists". Never mind.
cocusflute

Sessions

Post by cocusflute »

You know, if you're after small sessions with friendly people then the time to go to Ireland is during the off season - and not during a festival week. There are always lots of sessions in Cork, Dublin, and Galway. Every night of the week is Saturday night at MM's in Westport. These are great sessions with three or four accomplished players. When TGO sits in, as he often does, it's even better because he is so relaxed and supportive.
But if you're set on going to a festival in Ireland the Frankie Kennedy week is probably a great one.
I went to three sessions in Ennis for the Trad Fest and two of them were too crowded, too noisy, and too commercial for my tastes.
But then the question is - "What is a session all about?" It's got to be about more than the music or one might as well stay home and play along with recordings.
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Yikes! Don't ask that question here. There's more than enough of that discussion over on the "Session" board. Let's keep this one like it is.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Dear Friends,

Please hereby consider yourselves invited to the release of my new solo CD "The Night-Rambler's Companion".

The CD will be officially launched by Derry fiddler Dermot McLaughlin at the opening ceremonies of the Frankie Kennedy Winter School this Dec. 27th commencing @ 8 pm.

The CD features flutes with, and without, piano accompaniment and guest appearences from fiddler Paul O'Shaughnessy and piper Emmett Gill.

I'll post more details of the CD nearer the release date if it is appropriate.

The reason I'm touting this one on-line is that all profits from sales will be donated to these people:

http://www.rokpa.org/

Regards,

Harry Bradley.

ps. Please feel free to forward this message to anyone attending the Winter School!
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Harry,

That's feckin' great news!
Looking forward to hearing the CD. Any online outlets known yet?

cheers,
Jeroen
Harry

Post by Harry »

Dear Pixy,

It won't be in my hands til near the launch date (we're running late, of course). Unless you get one in Donegal it might'nt be available til early new year.

Regards,

Harry.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

That's understood. No Donegal trip for me this year though...
So I'll wait.

Impatiently :-)

Jeroen