WhOA - Does it ever stop?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChuffedAlex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChuffedAlex »

I'm going to weigh in here as a newbie to the forum but not to whistles and whistle playing.

I first took up the whistle because--as BillChin said--it was an inexpensive instrument for me at the time, but fed my need to continue to make music. I was so poor at the time that I couldn't even afford to be a starving student :( and had sold my clarinet from high school just to eat and pay rent.

That was 20+ years ago and it was a nickel Gen D and it was a GOOD whistle, both in tone and playability. I never lusted in my heart nor desired another nor ever knew high end whistles existed until just recently.

I had made a life change in the last year, and in the process most of my material goods ended up in storage including my whistle, my recorders, my hammered dulcimer, etc. Well my mood worked around to where I felt like making music again.

I was in a music store looking at their dulcimers (which were disappointing), and I said to myself, "Well it's not a total waste, I can get another whistle and another copy of my trusty whistle book." While I was doing that, I noticed this book about "Low D Whistles" and that made me notice the store actually HAD some Low D's on display.

After looking at the sticker prices !!! :o !!! And of course realizing that my hands weren't BIG enough (not knowing anything about modified piper's grips or suchlike) I managed to restrain myself and just leave with the Gen high D and the one book.

But when I got home and fired up the whistle, I noticed something: This whistle did NOT play or sound like "MY" whistle! :swear: The intonation was poor and the octave change was rough. That and the niggling mental questions about Low D whistles got me looking online.

I discovered the Wanderer's excellent reviews, C&F, and of course, this forum.

And the inevitable WhOA .......... as in WhOA, Nellie!!! :boggle:

Currently I have a Susato Low D with the two keys and a Mahan Woodwinds high D in cocobolo.

Do I have plans to acquire more "high end" whistles?? You betcha. :wink:

They're like golf clubs! Guns! Spinning Wheels! (don't ask me how many of the latter I have)

Seriously it's enjoyable. And compared to any other instrument very affordable even at the high end. (you don't want to know what a decent recorder goes for) There's lots more music available these days, and while I agree the "acid test" is playing for an audience, I'm quite content to annoy my two cats.
"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow." Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have tons of whistles that i've collected over the years, including high enders, mid rangers and cheapies. I love playing consistently about 10 whistles (soprano D and C mostly) and occasionally reach for four or five others (mostly Bflat, A, G). I could be happy and served perfectly well by having only my Burke black top brass D, my workhorse. I love having them all both as my own historical markers and to have to reach for.

However, for now Whoa has at least receded for me and I suspect that for most it will disappear when we feel we have finally reached that pinnacle of playing prowess wherein it's truly all about the music. There are also just certain whistles I will never sell.

Oh, and I've been considering actually getting a second Burke black top brass D, just in case. First time I ever considered that with other than cheapies. I probably shouldn't...but what if Mike stops making them or I lose mine...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: WhOA - Does it ever stop?

Post by anniemcu »

twistedfingers wrote:I'm a regular reader and irregular poster to this forum and have always read peoples thoughts on wonderful and not so wonderful ITHO whistles. I've been afflicted by WhOA since I picked up my first whistle (Kerry low D - crazy some might say) but it never stopped me. I soon gratuated!? to high D's and my whistle collection has grown far quicker than my ability to play them and I now own Albas, Overton, Dixons, Cheiftans and other fine whistles in their own rite.

My questions are.... are we all looking for our perfect whistle? and what do we do when we find it? other than buy it in more keys. I ask because Joanie Madden (and the ladies) have inspired me to pick up the whistle, practice, curse, stomp off for a while and practice some more and recently I attended one of Joannie's workshops in Camden, which I thoroughy enjoyed, once I got over the awe struck bit. Anyway, after drooling over seeing one of Annie's fine whistle bags and an awesome array of O'Riordans and Burkes I thought I'd finally go out and buy..... an O'Riordan :lol: no, a Burke DASBT. It arrived yesterday and I haven't put it down since. The tone is pure, my ornamentation sounds crisp and what's more I can play along with CTL CD's without cursing the tuning :), it really flatters me.

So, in conlusion (after much rambling). If you find 'your' whistle, do you stop there?
As for looking for, or finding 'the one'... nah... I just want more! Mwuhahaha! ... er... I mean... I like to have a variety, yeah... and I like the look of a whistle as well as the sound, so I am not just looking for the 'right whistle for me', which, actually, I believe any functional one could be if I dedicated myself to it, but to find oddities, quiter ones, louder ones, gorgeous ones, period 'correct' ones, easy ones, challenging ones... sigh... I'm doomed!

Oh, and thanks, Twisted, for your kind words about my whistle bags. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

ChuffedAlex wrote: (you don't want to know what a decent recorder goes for)
$1500-$1800. for an alto, give or take. However if you check my former employer's website right now, it appears they are giving 'em away :lol:

Loren
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

Loren wrote:
ChuffedAlex wrote: (you don't want to know what a decent recorder goes for)
$1500-$1800. for an alto, give or take. However if you check my former employer's website right now, it appears they are giving 'em away :lol:

Loren
:o

[Romulo - an assumed ocasional r******r heretic gets interested] -->

What's your former employer after all????????????
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Romulo wrote:
What's your former employer after all????????????
www.vonhuene.com
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

For me WhOA comes and goes. It started with a need to find a whistle that --despite my newbie status-- would reliably play the high B without making the hairs on my neck stand on end. As soon as I located this whistle and realized how different it was from the whistles I had at home I started looking for the ultimate. 50+ whistles later I stopped looking and carefully went through the ones I had, realizing the differences in tone, appearance, sentimentality, damage-resistance, and cost, and selected a few that still appealed, giving or selling the rest. The ones I kept ranged from a Gen to a Busman, Abell to Sweetheart (okay, a FEW Sweethearts), Burke and Syn.

I resisted the purchase impulse until I wanted a few other keys then did a bit more buying. Now I still have the yen to buy if I find one that is well crafted and beautiful, but I have all I need for playing.

I've started on flutes, and managed to keep myself (so far!) to three. When I can reliably play a tune through three times I'll allow myself to look at others!

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

Mine went dormant for some time as I had one kid too many to play much (that was 2 kids total at the time) and had found a perfectly lovely Feadóg which I have now lost. So here I am once again picking the community brain (eeew).
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Does WhOA ever stop?

Sure it does! When you have no more money! :lol:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Key_of_D wrote:Does WhOA ever stop?

Sure it does! When you have no more money! :lol:
Not necessarily... :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brotherwind

whoa

Post by brotherwind »

Tyghress wrote: I've started on flutes, and managed to keep myself (so far!) to three. When I can reliably play a tune through three times I'll allow myself to look at others!

Tyg
Oh my G.., I thought this ended when I started longing for the irish flute. :P
No, seriously, after my first flute (Tipple) my only newer whistles are the ones I was waiting for from John Sindt. Having an Abell D/C set, Sindts in Eb/D/C and a nice Generation Bb, not to forget the Chieftain low D my WhOA has faded. It's the flute-WhOA now. I hope to be strong enough to limit it to the high-end I am now looking to buy.
For the meantime, I try to stick as best as I can to the motto: "Invest in skills , not in artifacts."
:wink:

brotherwind

BTW: Anyone out there in Europe wanting to sell me a keyless flute in D by Murray, Hamilton or Cotter?
8)
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I am assured that my WhOA will stop.... right after this next whistle.... yeah, that's the ticket.....

D
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Going on the second page of this thread now. And no one has said they bought their last whistle. Lots of interesting explanations.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
twistedfingers

Post by twistedfingers »

I went to a concert the other week where on organisation was offering interest free spread payments on instruments over £100. Let me just dig out my wish list.....
Andy
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

I just fell off the Whoa wagon myself.
I've been good for a whole 5 months without buying a whistle...but then I thought I'd just see what was out there in Bb (since I wasn't happy with my other Bbs)...I wouldn't have to buy anything...just look. So at the local folk music shop, I looked...then I had to try one...just one...doesn't mean I'd have to buy it :boggle: . So I played the Susato...sounded good, too good. Should I buy it :-? It's only $35...what's $35 :twisted: I had to buy it.

Now I feel content but for how long??

Short answer...it never ends....ever. :P