Need reviews and opinions... tweaked whistles and more

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dewhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need reviews and opinions... tweaked whistles and more

Post by Dewhistle »

Han't been here in a while... could be years, can't remember. There were maybe four forum options last time I logged in, just to illuminate.

Need some info, whistleophiles. First of all, anyone here tried one of the Whistle Shop's tweaked whistle choices? They have a Clarke classic, Sweetone and Generation (I think) tweaked. They sound intriguing since I confess music is not my gift... I can't really tell if one is in tune or even that good because I can't play well enough to really tell. I have ones I like, pretty sure they're good, but I have lost my favorite Feadóg and none of my other whistles can fill the void (choke...gasp, snuffle).

Also, on that same note, I was trying to play a tune for my baby tonight on my nice clear Sweetone and she began to cry :oops: . Now I have confessed already to not being that great at it but I didn't figure a 4-month-old had much of an ear. It was supposed to be a lullaby but the Sweetone was not the whistle for the job. It's nice and clear, yet rather loud and sadly fairly short on personality.

The baby turned out to be tired in fact, but now that she's asleep anyhow I am trying to find out if there is a whistle that is particularly soft and sweet that could pull off lullabies and generally not frighten the baby. Any suggestions are welcome, though I can only afford low-end high whistles.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

For a soft whistle that has a sweet tone a Hoover Whitecap would be my choice. As for the Whistle Shop's selection, the tweeked Freeman Generation D is superb. I really like mine.
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
azw

Post by azw »

I agree fully with the second part of your description of the Sweetone: "sadly fairly short on personality."

You may want to find another source for the tweaked whistles. It sounds as though the Whistle Shop and its customers are experiencing unfortunate problems. Check this out:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=42673
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

For more soothing stuff, a lower whistle is best. A Clarke original is probably the mellowest high D whistle. It helps to play tunes that don't go too high. You can also try a mute to cut down on the volume and shrillness, this was posted recently:

And this a while back:
shadeclan

Re: Need reviews and opinions... tweaked whistles and more

Post by shadeclan »

Dewhistle wrote: . . . First of all, anyone here tried one of the Whistle Shop's tweaked whistle choices?
I am the proud owner of a Jerry Freeman "MellowDog", which is basically Feadog fipple on a Walton whistle body. I liked it so much that my WhOA went into temporary remission :lol:

You can find a review of the MellowDog here: http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/review ... =mellowdog

Jerry tweaks Generations, SweeTones and Shaws and I understand that they are all excellent. You can order directly from him if you like. Send me a "PM" and I'll tell you how to reach him, if you're interested.
azw wrote: You may want to find another source for the tweaked whistles. It sounds as though the Whistle Shop and its customers are experiencing unfortunate problems.
Sadly true. I wish it weren't.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I will second the nomination of a Hoover Whitecap. I just bought one from Tommy that is on an Oak C body and it is the quietest and sweetest whistle I have ever played! It also takes ALOT less air than any other whistle I own....I find that rather than blowing into it I am merely breathing into it. I think they are something like 40-75 bucks new depending on the key body you want to choose. Well worth it!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

If you already have the Oak or Gen body, you can get a Whitecap for $30. It's best to send the body to Mack so he can make sure of the fit.

I have a Whitecap on an Oak and on a Gen and the Gen is my favorite practice whistle, because it's quiet. But is it quiet enough for a baby? I'm not sure anything is that quiet, if you start getting up into the second octave.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

By the way, you can use the tape trick to make the volume on a Hoover whistle even lower. Doesn't seem to affect the playing much.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Dewhistle,

Here's an incredibly long-winded review of several tweaked whistles.

Tom

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=43647
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

For other quiet-whistle choices, any of the copper-pipe based whistles in B or Bb or A will be delicate compared to their D or Eb siblings. My 2 1/2 year old daughter likes my O'Brien Bb (large windway).

Another cheer for the MellowDog. Jerry makes a real gem - if it were made out of blackwood and silver, I'd never want anything else.

(Yeah, right. Who am I kidding?)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

On further study and checking out the info y'all passed along, I've decided to skip the tweaked whistles for now. The tweaked Sweetone it would seem isn't much different and not one bit more interesting. However, when I added the simple card and rubber band mute to a regular one, I found it actually did have a sweet tone. I hope the card holds out for a while. The baby didn't mind it as long as she had her teether in hand. She looked at me funny, mind you. :o

When she fussed, I picked her up and tried playing the Coventry Carol over her curly wittle noggin but had to finish on one hand when she started tipping over. And "my" Sweetone is in fact my 8-year-old daughter's, as she reminds me each time I play it, thus extracting from me the chance to play it her way (insert shudder here). So Daidí na Nollag will bringing me my own Meg and a tabor pipe. I'd been considering a tabor pipe since my son was born. Now I think I am ready to try one out.

Thanks for the suggestions, they did the trick.