Elderly harmonica player arrested playing copyrighted songs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

djm wrote:
Scott McCallister wrote:It's not unreasonable to expect pay for the addition of that emotional element into a point of sale. The money should go back to the copyright holder.
But even Chrisian church music is now copyright. Churches have to pay for the right to "perform" hymns. Where is the point of sale?

djm
??!?! :o :boggle: :o

Where is the point of sale??!?

I have never been to a church service where they didn't pass the plate at least once. (while music is being played/sung no less)

You may not get a bill of sale or a printed receipt as such, but organized religion is most decidedly a "commercial" enterprise. That don't make it wrong, it just don't make it free. :D
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Well having worked in a church office I can tell you that it costs a fair pretty penny to run and the profit margin, if any, would not make me want to buy stocks in it.

Anywho, note to self; next time stationed in Japan, if ya go busking, only play your own tunes.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

What do Yoko Ono and the Sudanese have in common...?

wait for it....

they're both living off of dead beeatles

:D
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

ba-dump-dump

:roll:
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Cofaidh wrote: .......
Anywho, note to self; next time stationed in Japan, if ya go busking, only play your own tunes.
I dont think you can be prosecuted if you
* are not making money out of it, and
* not taking the credit for it (composition).

So if you're busking and going to do "Fool on the Hill" just announce who wrote it and tell people not to throw money at you during that song.
:twisted:

Same thing goes in a pub performance. Just say,
"Before doing my original songs and some traditional stuff, I'm gonna warm up with some current/recent popular stuff that is still copyrighted. Please note I am not being paid for performing these pieces."

(keep a tape recording of this for your defence) ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The real danger isn't so much the risk of being prosecuted
but the lengths to which people and institutions will go
to avoid any possibility of prosecution. Chilling.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

talasiga wrote:
Cofaidh wrote: .......
I dont think you can be prosecuted if you
* are not making money out of it, and
* not taking the credit for it (composition).

So if you're busking and going to do "Fool on the Hill" just announce who wrote it and tell people not to throw money at you during that song.
:twisted:

Same thing goes in a pub performance. Just say,
"Before doing my original songs and some traditional stuff, I'm gonna warm up with some current/recent popular stuff that is still copyrighted. Please note I am not being paid for performing these pieces."

(keep a tape recording of this for your defence) ......
Won't save your kiester here. It doesn't matter if you are playing for free. If others can hear you, you owe. It stinks!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I say no more jukeboxes!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

anniemcu wrote:......
Won't save your kiester here. It doesn't matter if you are playing for free. If others can hear you, you owe. It stinks!
Well then, I claim the defense of parody .....
:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
alurker

Post by alurker »

Generally with busking in Japan copyright is the least of your worries. On one side you have the Police (it's illegal to busk if you're on a working visa, but for some reason not if you're on a holiday visa) and on the other you have the Yakuza (Japanese mafia who demand a considerable slice of the action). Add to this the hassle you often get from street vendors (mostly Israelis) who like to think they own the streets and you can have a few headaches when you go busking in Japan.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

anniemcu wrote:
djm wrote:
Scott McCallister wrote:It's not unreasonable to expect pay for the addition of that emotional element into a point of sale. The money should go back to the copyright holder.
But even Chrisian church music is now copyright. Churches have to pay for the right to "perform" hymns. Where is the point of sale?

djm
Think... "Protection Racket".
I like it :wink: .
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:

djm
Churches can play the "old standard" hymns without fear provided it's not a special arrangement. For "contemporary" stuff they usually have a contract with a distributor like "Hillsong" or something that allows them to download as much music as they want over the duration of the contract. These songs are generally formula driven so they all sound similar. If you play them long enough you can sometimes tell which writer composed the piece just by the style.

It's a big racket. The studios have a stable of writers and bands. They produce the tunes and send the bands on tour as well as push radio play for particular songs. This guarantees churches across the land will want to play the songs and buy the subscription for the sheet music.

The church I played in had a code number that had to be stamped on every printed page of music indicating we'd payed for the right to use the songs.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Flyingcursor wrote:
djm wrote:

djm
Churches can play the "old standard" hymns without fear provided it's not a special arrangement. For "contemporary" stuff they usually have a contract with a distributor like "Hillsong" or something that allows them to download as much music as they want over the duration of the contract. These songs are generally formula driven so they all sound similar. If you play them long enough you can sometimes tell which writer composed the piece just by the style.

It's a big racket. The studios have a stable of writers and bands. They produce the tunes and send the bands on tour as well as push radio play for particular songs. This guarantees churches across the land will want to play the songs and buy the subscription for the sheet music.

The church I played in had a code number that had to be stamped on every printed page of music indicating we'd payed for the right to use the songs.
Profiteering on the name of G_D... it makes me naseous. Arrggh!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

anniemcu wrote: Profiteering on the name of G_D... it makes me naseous. Arrggh!
It's a time honored tradition.
Reason #2 I stopped playing. Not to mention the formulaic nature of the tunes gets old.

intro
verse
verse
pre-chorus
chorus
verse
pre-chorus
chorus
long drawn out repeating part. (vocals only the first 12 times then bass/drums for awhile then on the last 8 to 15 times everybody comes in)
pre-chorus (with gusto)
chorus (belt it out now)
verse
pre-chorus
chorus
chorus
chorus
and maybe the chorus a few times
end

(instrumental solos may be added.)
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm