Looking for crashing wave sounds.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Looking for crashing wave sounds.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hey kids.

I need about five to ten minutes of waves crashing on a rocky coast for a tune I'm recording.

Here's what I need:

It has to be free.

It has to actually sound like waves crashing on a rocky coast, not just static.

It needs to not have any other sounds, except perhaps the occasional seagull. A distant sheep or two would be OK too. Maybe a bit of a breeze if it sounds nice and breezy. But no kids, boats, cars, or anything like that.

It has to be long enough that I can loop it without it being obvious; or better yet, long enough I don't have to loop it at all.

I've been looking everywhere from on line to sound effects records and can't find anything to fit the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Why not email Yanni? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tom,

How urgent is this need?

I ask because I have a half hour minidisc recording of a beach at night in Donegal (including the occasional far away sheep!) but I don't know exactly where it is, and I probably won't have time to locate/copy it till next month due to impending Thanksgiving travel.

Dunno how crashing it is (there were some rocks but lots of sand), but I was the only one on the beach and the water is certainly the main sound - I set up the mic and (carefully) read a book about twenty feet away while it recorded.

Completely free if you give me a credit on your liner notes! :D
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

If it weren't for that rocky coast, I could help you out on all counts . . . :lol:
Cotelette d'Agneau
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

ever hear of an ocean drum?

It's a Remo drum filled with BB's. You very slowly tilt it and it sounds like the ocean waves coming in.

Friends of ours use an ocean drum, a pick sliding up and down a wound string (seagull), and creaking of a wooden instrument, to get the sound of a ship on their version of Southwind.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Thanks, all.

The tune is called "The Winds of Badbea." I made it up while wandering an abandoned village on the cliffs on the northeast coast of Scotland. The ocean sound is not overbearing, but it's a constant, nearby presence.

Beth, that sounds great. My (current) goal is to publish this thing sometime this winter, so after thanksgiving should be fine. And of course you'll get an honorable mention in the liner notes.

Lamby, thanks. Florida beaches are beautiful, but just not the sound I'm going for.

Djm, no good on the Yanni idea. He quit taking my e-mails after I quit playing synthesizers and actually learned to write my own music down. :D

Missy, thanks for the suggestion. I've considered using an ocean drum. They're very very cool. But that's sort of a last resort; I thought real ocean sounds would mean more somehow.

Thanks again.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

OK dokes. I'll keep an eye out for it while packing this week. We get back on November 28th. Feel free to remind me if you haven't heard from me by Dec 1, and if you find something else you'd rather use in the meantime just let me know.