Busman Pink Ivory : a whistle to keep forever !

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

manu.bande wrote:
Wombat

Pink Ivory and Blackwood sounds a good combination , do you have any pics ?
Yes I do, but I can't post them. I did post them some years ago and I suppose they are still here—since I can't host them I must have got a friend to host them for me.

I suppose they are still here to be found if you know how to search the boards efficiently.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Here we go I think. An old post. The resolution is poor. The pink ivory is lighter than it appears.
Wombat wrote:Recently Paul Busman made me a beautiful whistle in blackwood and pink ivory. It's a bit of a lair. We call it the Jerry Lee Special. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, ask someone who was alive in the 1950s.) After months of promising, and in low resolution only, here it is.

Here's the Jerry Lee Special with some of his wooden friends. From the top, Abell F, Busman, Abell D, Abell Bb, Grinter low F. Looks like he just walked into a coffee shop full of beatniks and Greek widows doesn't it?

And here's the Jerry Lee Special hanging out with a Macedonian village whistle, maker unknown. Shame the latter doesn't play as well as it looks, eh?

manu.bande
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by manu.bande »

Wow Wombat !

The Busman looks very elegant with that mix of BW and PI and sterling silver fittings , congratulations !

I must say that also the Abells , Grinters etc., looks very good !

You really are a lucky guy with all thouse nice whistles !!! :shock:

Manuel
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

manu.bande wrote:Wow Wombat !

The Busman looks very elegant with that mix of BW and PI and sterling silver fittings , congratulations !

I must say that also the Abells , Grinters etc., looks very good !

You really are a lucky guy with all thouse nice whistles !!! :shock:

Manuel
Yes, I do have a lot of nice wooden whistles although, with flutes as well, it's a lot of oiling. I really like wood, but the ones hanging around waiting to be played are metal, of course—no need to swab them out.

You should love your Busman. My favourite D whistle swaps between Busman, Humphrey and Sindt. The Busman is clearly my favourite non-Generation style D, so I prefer it to Abell, Thin Weasel, Burke, Copeland and even Overton. It's also the best looking whistle I own.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I really like the Blackwood head on the Pink ivory body. I'm surprized Paul isn't doing more of that sort of thing.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
manu.bande

Post by manu.bande »

Wombat

to tell you the truth , my whistles list is very short , actually the Busman is my second wooden whistle , but probably you're right wooden whistles are the best !
But I can tell you for sure that my Busman will be played a lot more than the others , once I'll finish the breaking in period :( !
And for sure will be a keeper !

Anyway it's good to try a lot of different whistles as everyone has different tastes about sound , material etc., etc., but perhaps I've found already the whistle that suit me best , that could be an escape from the WhOA :-?

Manuel
ChuffedAlex

Post by ChuffedAlex »

Manuel and Wombat

For shame!!! :poke: Especially Wombat, for dredging up the luscious piccies of that pink ivory/blackwood Busman!!!

Now I have a serious WhOA on. :waah:

I am caressing my new Mahan Woodwinds cocobolo High D which arrived last night. It is whispering to me "ignore those seducers, you have me, I'm all you'll ever need." :love:

"Jerry Lee" just made my short list, but I'm thinking more on the lines of maybe Blackwood on top and Dymondwood on the bottom, I also make lace, and have several turned bobbins in different shades of Dymondwood and find it very nice indeed. :party:

If I get it in a different key--like C--will the D whistles be as jealous? :really:
"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow." Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

shadeclan wrote:
patrickh wrote:SOrry - meant to say "I received an Eb from Paul..."
Paul, are you making "Eb" whistles now? Did you get that larger lathe and longer drill that you've been meaning to get?
No, these are high Eb, just a half step sharper than D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

That wood combination is sweet! Well they all are really
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

manu.bande wrote:Wombat

to tell you the truth , my whistles list is very short , actually the Busman is my second wooden whistle , but probably you're right wooden whistles are the best !
Actually, I don't really think that, Manuel. The makers themselves confirm that sound has more to do with the details of construction than with materials—ask Paul. It doesn't seem that way when playing them, but from a distance it is hard to tell a PVC whistle from a wooden one by sound alone.

What I do think is that wooden whistles really look great. If you're happy with an instrument, you'll practice more and stop blaming the instrument rather than yourself for slow progress and that is a good thing. When all is said and done, you'll only get out of an instrument what you put in. I'd happily swap an expensive whistle for some of the talent I hear displayed by people who only play cheapies.
manu.bande

Post by manu.bande »

Chuffedalex

your fate has been already done , you'll buy a new Busman !!! :devil:

Wombat

you're absolutly right about sound , material and construction , but still the wooden whistle looks the best !

About talents , well of course , probably for them it does no matter which whistle they play , cheap or expensive it will sound just perfect ! :swear:

But for people like me, without talent , the only way to achieve a good sound and easy of playing is to practice as much as possible , and perhaps a high quality whistle ,like the Busman , can help me a little more :D

Paul

BTW , thank's again for the beautifull whistle you've made for me !

Manuel