Bleazey Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
IrishBen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IrishBen »

Does anyone have a Bleazey Irish Flute, what key, what material and what do you think of them?
Ben
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Aw! C'mon! Surely someone here out of thousands of members has a Bleazey flute? Wakey wakey .......
:swear:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Talasiga, this member has posted since 2002.
Henke

Post by Henke »

:twisted:
Necroposting
:twisted:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Its not about the poster. Its about the topic.
It doesn't matter who started the topic.
The question is, does the topic have relevance to the flute forum.

There is a guy in the UK who makes Irish flutes and the like.
His name is Bleazey. Does anyone have a Bleazey flute and can comment on same.

Topics aren't there to answer just the topic starter's question. A topic that is public has public interest. Otherwise topic starters would ask that people reply by PMs only.

I know there is a trend towards reply by Pms only in certain topics. Those appear to be ones about buying and selling.

Let the discussion on Bleazey flutes begin.
(Or can you guys lead me to another topic of same ilk?)

(BTW Henke, speaking of PMs, I sent you a PM about another matter. Do you receive PMs?)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

talasiga wrote:
Let the discussion on Bleazey flutes begin.
(Or can you guys lead me to another topic of same ilk?)
For example: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=bleazey

I have a keyless Bleazey in boxwood. It's based on a very-small-holed Rudall, and has a short foot. (He made Prattens at one point, but I get the impression that there were problems with them, and I don't think he makes them any more.) It's the flute that got me into fluting, and while I've bought and sold many flutes since then, I haven't parted with this one. It's very easy to play, the bottom register is warm and rich, the upper part of the second octave requires a tad more push than some of my other flutes. Relative to, say, the Olwell Rudall, it's easier to get a mellower sound and more difficult to get the dirty sound favored by many Irish players.

I don't play it much any more, but do take it traveling -- it was really inexpensive in American dollars when I got it (like 300-something), but as the dollar has slipped, I think they're up above 500. In my book they're still a bargain at that price.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Ditto everything Charlie says, I have the Bleazey Boxwood also.

Even the part about it being my first flute is true. (Actually my VERY first is an M&E, but it's delrin. Great, sturdy, strong sound, very well tuned, etc. but NOT wood).

Anyway, I love, love, love my Bleazey. Easy sound production and just plain fun to play.

Charlie - what is a good recomendation (both flutes to play, and Artists to hear) for that "dirty" Irish sound you refer to? I guess I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.

LEE
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Leel wrote:what is a good recomendation (both flutes to play, and Artists to hear) for that "dirty" Irish sound you refer to? I guess I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.

LEE

Here ya go, as a start, Lee - A whole bunch of kickin' good "dirty" flute (as well as a few nice cleaner tones as well) - doesn't get a whole lot "dirtier" than this: http://www.mystrands.com/album/91160

A Tone to die for.

Loren
cajordan

Post by cajordan »

talasiga wrote:I

There is a guy in the UK who makes Irish flutes and the like.
His name is Bleazey. Does anyone have a Bleazey flute and can comment on same.
I have a Bleazey keyless in Yew.
I've been playing less than a year so take my opinion with the necessary incompetence warning

When I talked to him he sold me the yew flute on the grounds that it was a mellower/quieter flute than some of the other woods - suited me, I don't want to be too audible yet.
However, I've let a couple of more experienced players try it and they seem to get a large amount of noise out of it.

I got the Bleazey because it was relatively local, in my price range and most important, recommended for small hands (I'd borrowed a friend's Dixon and was finding the right hand stretch almost impossible)

It's a nice easy flute to blow - it must be, since I can get something out of it! The Yew wood is lighter to hold than some blackwoods that I've tried, and it looks pretty.

Bleazey will do also do a good trade in for a keyed flute if you want to upgrade.

(To complete the flute review, as far as I can see, it bears very little resemblance to any sort of motor car)

Chris
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

A search on "Bleazey" in the Flute forum pulls up 246 posts (247 now with this one), in which you'll find my opinion alongside many others.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Andrew Hollom

Post by Andrew Hollom »

I have a Blackwood Bleazey (Rudall based model), which I like very much. I find it easy to get a good tone from and find it loud enough, though others think it's a little quiet for session playing, but it's plenty loud enough for me.

Phil used to make a Pratten based model, but stopped making it because almost everyone wanted the Rudall based model. He's a nice chap to deal with (he posted me some replacement cork sheet for the tenons free of charge) and the keyless is good value too. Like Cajordon, I got mine because he was local, and so could try them out before purchasing (I liked the Rudall based model above the Pratten based model, and played quite a few before picking "the one").

Andrew.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Leel wrote: Charlie - what is a good recomendation (both flutes to play, and Artists to hear) for that "dirty" Irish sound you refer to? I guess I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.
I'm sure different people mean different things when talking about a dirty sound. What I mean (to insert a few more vague terms) is a big, kind of raspy sound, a certain kind of reedy sound, more apparent in the lower register than the upper.

Loren's already recommended Kevin Crawford; Conal O'Grada is another who has an exceptional tone.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Thanks Loren and Charlie - I'll check em out.

:thumbsup:
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I own a boxwood Bleazey: Very, very easy to get started, wonderful bottom end. top end's not as pure as my Cotter, but the Bleazey is just so darned fun to play. The upper octave takes a bit of support but is still good, especially with a well focused embouchure. My wife, who isn't much on flutes (and with my playing ability I don't blame her) says that I just play more musically on the Bleazey. Buck for buck? Worth a lot more than Bleazey is asking...mine's a keeper.
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Leel wrote:Thanks Loren and Charlie - I'll check em out.

:thumbsup:
No problem, glad to help. If you like that tone, just ask for more suggestions, plenty of folks here can give you additional recommendations, particularly if you also mention what sort of playing (style wise) you prefer as well.

Loren