The voting thread (U.S.)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I voted at 4:15 p.m. and was #148! Certainly hope the numbers go up after 5:00 p.m. First year with the electronic scandal-in-waiting machine. After having taken the on-line tutorial before heading to the polling place, I whizzed through the actual voting. In line less than 10 minutes, voting 2-3 minutes. I was dismayed (but really not surprised) to see that there were 5-6 offices where nobody was even opposing the Republican candidate. Why spend your savings running a campaign knowing you haven't got a chance in hell? But it's disappointing nonetheless.

Susan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I have to say that I was very relieved to vote on paper.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I entered my polling place at 6:35 am expecting to be out by 6:45. Imagine my surprise when there was a line of 6-8 people to wait in. By the time I finished voting the line was up to 10. We used a computer voting system for the first time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Mike
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

We just got back. We had touch screen computer voting for the first time too and I was worried but it was very straight-forward and actually simpler than the old machines we used to have. Very few people there. Also, we just got our last (I sincerely hope) phone call urging us to vote. I gather we won't be hearing from Laura Bush anymore either.
Last edited by Cynth on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

You got one of those too?? We got a Ahnold- get the vote out you pansy girly man call a few nites ago. Grr
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Voting went fine. We had a paper ballot, that is then scanned as it goes in, so it's sorta techie.

There were no curtains on the voting stations, which disturbed me a bit. I like to feel alone with my thoughts, and so I won't look silly trying to read the giant ballot.

PS. Absentee ballot APPLICATIONS are postage paid. But not the actual ballot itself.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I voted after work at about 4:30. We had the new touch screen screens. It was easy to do, in fact my grandaughter touched the circles for me.
Now if it just gets counted.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I voted about 7:40 AM (polls opened at 7) and I was #81. I was surprised it was that high. I didn't have to wait. We have the fill-in-the-circle paper ballots - brings back such memories of standardized testing!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I voted this morning. No waiting at 8:15, but several of the booths were full, and it was clear that a lot of people had voted on the way to work.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
wd40

Post by wd40 »

Well the votings done but I'll chime in. We voted by mail for the first time in 30 years or so of voting. What a breeze.
Wm
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I voted. Only a ten minutes line. Electronic machines. And a very helpful elections official named Jerry for a man who's address had been screwed up.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I voted after work last night - about 6pm EST.

We have paper-ballots-read-by-a-computer, where you have to complete a broken arrow pointing to your candidate of choice, or pointing to the words "Approve" or "Reject" for referenda. Pretty simple, actually.

___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Voted at 3:15. #487. They said it was higher than usual.

Paper ballot. I drew tic-tac-toe on it and they made me start over. (kidding).
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

fyffer wrote:I voted after work last night - about 6pm EST.

We have paper-ballots-read-by-a-computer, where you have to complete a broken arrow pointing to your candidate of choice, or pointing to the words "Approve" or "Reject" for referenda. Pretty simple, actually.

We had those too. I like them...they're almost impossible to mess up!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Day late and a dollar short, but I voted at 5:00..no wait, and in my district the turnout was quite low.

Still, I'm delighted with the upshot.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe