The voting thread (U.S.)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

gonzo914 wrote:And that's why I was asking. They held a race, but not everyone showed up, kind of like the South used to be when the real contest was the Democratic primary.
Right. I was curious, too. Dale had a different meaning for "race" than I first assumed.
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

I voted 9am eastern time and was number 472 at my polling place.
Filled in the circles next to my choices and then fed it through a machine.
Must have worked cause they gave me a sticker!! :D
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

avanutria wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:We Californians have a huge ballot this year, an absentee requires two stamps to mail.
I thought absentee ballots had prepaid postage. At least the one I get does, but as the prepaid postage is only good within the US it doesn't help me any...
Ours in Washington State does not have return postage. I don't like paying to vote, even 39 cents. There are places where the ballots can be dropped off but it would take more than 39 cents worth of gas to get there.

We don't get stickers - Spokane County votes by mail. According to the Washington State Secretary of State web site, 34 of Washington's 39 counties vote entirely by mail now.
Charlene
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Weird. Mine was Washington state too and I could have sworn it had return postage.. As it is, I paid 72 pence (about $1.32) to send it in.
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

brewerpaul wrote:Make sure you punch your chads all the way out!

Doing my civic duty today after my nursing exam. Then, sitting with a bowl of popcorn in front of the TV to watch the returns.
Paul, are we in the same district (NY 20, Sweeney v. Gillibrand)? Nasty bit of a campaign, there. Think it's as close as they say?

I voted just before lunch. Lots of kids around, since the local elementary schools had classes off for conference days. I managed to keep young E. from pushing all the wrong buttons, I think.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
carrie

Post by carrie »

Voted. Paper ballot.

Carol
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Voted at 7am. First one in the booth. We had some glitches; they forgot the pens to mark the ballot. The ballot fits in a plastic sleve with holes that you put a marking pen made for the diameter so there is no slop. We made do with some felt tip markers. The other glitch was the use of an electronic ballot counter. You slide the ballot into a slot; it reads the ballot and you get a receipt that you voted. Start up was problematic but was solved.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

SteveShaw wrote:Come on all you Merkin democrats - vote early and vote often! :lol:

Being a Democrat, I stayed home and didn't vote, simply to spite Steve.

Loren
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

I.D.10-t wrote:Does every state give out stickers?
Mine says, "I think I voted."

:wink:
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

This was my first election. :party:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Asked one of the attendants if the local turnout was a big one; "Yes, it's been pretty big, actually," she said. "Imagine that," I replied.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I voted and got a sticker.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Yup! Somebody had to cancel out my one neighbor and shame the other. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have done my civic duty.

I got a sticker, and, got one for my daughter, too. At the time I didn't know my wife had gotten stiffed, else I would have gotten one for her too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

OK, I voted. I only had to wait a few minutes while they tried to sort out whether the guy in front of me lived at his address or in his post office box. It was getting tense there for a moment. The poor man was hard of hearing and couldn't quite grasp what the problem was. I was mystified, myself.

The lady with the voter list looked at my driver's license and chirped "Oh, yes! Your mama was here first thing this morning! She noticed that you had not come to vote before work" -- since I hadn't signed the list before she got there -- "and said to keep an eye out for you!" I can't possibly get away with not voting when they'll tell my mother on me.

We have those computer touch-screen things. Guy next to me didn't get the concept of "NEXT=>" :)
Cotelette d'Agneau