what are these things called in english?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

scottielvr wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:.... I'm merely serving as a shuttle in the web and weft of our great culture and its ways.
Heh. Surely you meant to type 'warp'?
:wink:
Maybe he means that warp of our culture has broken down and turned into a big tangled mess but he is still trying to be a good shuttle and pull the weft throught the confusion. It would be better to just stop and fix the warp though I guess. Not that I know anything about weaving. Yes, I could probably go find something that needs to be done.:lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:
scottielvr wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:.... I'm merely serving as a shuttle in the web and weft of our great culture and its ways.
Heh. Surely you meant to type 'warp'?
:wink:
Maybe he means that warp of our culture has broken down and turned into a big tangled mess but he is still trying to be a good shuttle and pull the weft throught the confusion. It would be better to just stop and fix the warp though I guess. Not that I know anything about weaving. Yes, I could probably go find something that needs to be done.:lol:
Jeez, is this Gnaw on Nano Day? You people.

You're right. It should have been "warp", not "web". I thought something was not quite right about that post. Thanks. I can only plead exhaustion.

Nitpicker. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

...and another thing that's been gnawing at me:
Cynth wrote:I don't know what I should do if there is a flaming bag on my porch. I couldn't let the house burn down. Dang, one more thing to worry about now.
Does this post speak volumes, or what?

It's 11:22 am, Cynth. Do you know where your dogs are? :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:...and another thing that's been gnawing at me:
Cynth wrote:I don't know what I should do if there is a flaming bag on my porch. I couldn't let the house burn down. Dang, one more thing to worry about now.
Does this post speak volumes, or what?

It's 11:22 am, Cynth. Do you know where your dogs are? :twisted:
:lol: :lol: What? I have no dogs, just kitties. I was worried that someone might put some napalm on my porch just to be unkind. I like Lamby's suggestion of a rake and shovel inside the front door. Anyone know of a company that sells decorator sets? Oh wait---we have those fireplace things in the living room---a poker and shovel I guess---so I could run and get those very quickly. Okay, another emergency plan in place. Yay! Next?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote: Oh wait---we have those fireplace things in the living room---a poker and shovel I guess---so I could run and get those very quickly. Okay, another emergency plan in place. Yay! Next?

Ah, good! I see you can sleep well tonight . . . :)
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Before doing anything (mow the lawn, blow the leaves, play with the grandchildren) in my front yard I check the grounds for doggy poop.
Its always out there.

My immediate neighbors' dog never leaves their poopy full of flies backyard. I haven't a clue whose dog is doing it.
Like I said, its always out there.

The flaming paper bag of dog poop on a doorstep thing, my daughter knew a guy who got his high school diploma while in prison for arson because he did that.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

hyldemoer wrote:Before doing anything (mow the lawn, blow the leaves, play with the grandchildren) in my front yard I check the grounds for doggy poop.
Its always out there.
It's absolutely disgusting. And even if the owner picks up the poo (and what a mentality it must take to not mind routinely feeling nice, warm, soft, smelly dogsh!te through a plastic bag :o) the ground is still tainted, though invisibly - ugh. Owners only pick up the poo if someone's watching anyway. And, quite often, they can't wait till they get to the next doggie bin to dispose of it, so they sling the little bag up into the nearest tree. So our trees end up festooned with little pink scrotum-like appendages, filled with yesterday's now-processed Pedigree Chum and swaying delicately in the breeze. I could lose faith in the human race when I think that it contains people that are willing to own such vile pooping machines that can't even wipe their own arses - they just lick them clean, then they lick your face. Oooo, lovely. Madness.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

hyldemoer wrote:Before doing anything (mow the lawn, blow the leaves, play with the grandchildren) in my front yard I check the grounds for doggy poop.
Its always out there.
Maybe since I live in a small town people are more concerned about offending their neighbors. I don't know. We have many dog walkers, but rarely do I ever come across poop.
hyldemoer wrote: My immediate neighbors' dog never leaves their poopy full of flies backyard. I haven't a clue whose dog is doing it.
Like I said, its always out there.
That yard full of flies sounds really awful. Can't you complain to the Health Dept. or something? I'm sure they probably wouldn't regard it as a serious problem though. But really, that is sickening.
hyldemoer wrote:The flaming paper bag of dog poop on a doorstep thing, my daughter knew a guy who got his high school diploma while in prison for arson because he did that.
No, I would never set anything on fire. Just not a good idea for many reasons.
SteveShaw wrote:It's absolutely disgusting. And even if the owner picks up the poo (and what a mentality it must take to not mind routinely feeling nice, warm, soft, smelly dogsh!te through a plastic bag :o) the ground is still tainted, though invisibly - ugh. Owners only pick up the poo if someone's watching anyway. And, quite often, they can't wait till they get to the next doggie bin to dispose of it, so they sling the little bag up into the nearest tree. So our trees end up festooned with little pink scrotum-like appendages, filled with yesterday's now-processed Pedigree Chum and swaying delicately in the breeze. I could lose faith in the human race when I think that it contains people that are willing to own such vile pooping machines that can't even wipe their own arses - they just lick them clean, then they lick your face. Oooo, lovely. Madness.
:lol: I think many animals are tainting the ground. Surely many cats are. It's a part of nature---poop is. Most dog owners are probably giving their dogs prophylactic meds to prevent parasites. If the bulk is picked up, surely you can rest easy. My cats lick themselves and walk in their cat box and I let them lick me and walk on me and sit on my face. As for the festooned trees, I'm going to have to see photo documentation to believe that one----and one bag won't do it, I would need to see a fully festooned tree. I can't imagine doing that---what if the bag fell back down on your head or something? Picking icky stuff up with plastic bags is not enjoyable for anyone but you get used to it don't you. I have to pick up dead rodents with guts coming out. I do it but I mind it. I have learned that it only gets worse though the longer you postpone it. I think maybe you have a mania about this. Uh oh, this could turn medical!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I've been holding off visiting France until their no smoking law kicks in but I'm afraid learning to live with dog poop in my front yard is just going to be practice for Paris.

Though I hear even that problem is being more effectively dealt with there these days.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:
Its always out there.
It's absolutely disgusting. And even if the owner picks up the poo (and what a mentality it must take to not mind routinely feeling nice, warm, soft, smelly dogsh!te through a plastic bag :o) the ground is still tainted, though invisibly - ugh. Owners only pick up the poo if someone's watching anyway. And, quite often, they can't wait till they get to the next doggie bin to dispose of it, so they sling the little bag up into the nearest tree. So our trees end up festooned with little pink scrotum-like appendages, filled with yesterday's now-processed Pedigree Chum and swaying delicately in the breeze. I could lose faith in the human race when I think that it contains people that are willing to own such vile pooping machines that can't even wipe their own arses - they just lick them clean, then they lick your face. Oooo, lovely. Madness.

So, you're saying you feel strongly about this, eh?

I'm with Cynth. I want to see a fully festooned Bude scrotum tree. Let's get that camera cranking!

What's with the pink bags, anyway? They use little green or brown ones, here.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Cynth, backed up by Lambchop, wrote: As for the festooned trees, I'm going to have to see photo documentation to believe that one----and one bag won't do it, I would need to see a fully festooned tree.
:( Now a couple of things. As you know, I only post photos of life-affirming subjects, and I hardly think that a tree festooned with dangling, pre-wrapped dog turds comes into that category unless you're a bluebottle who happens to like your dinner to arrive convenience-wrapped (and yes, the bags in the UK do seem to be mostly of a sickly pink hue, just sufficiently see-through to leave the horrified looker-on in no doubt as to their ghastly contents). As for fully-festooned, I could claim that I was employing some degree of poetic licence there. Certainly we have trees (usually just around the corner from where the offender could be observed) which are especially popular with poo-pitchers and which have had more than a few of the vile, squashy "strange fruits" gracing their boughs - but not necessarily all at the same time. I will take my camera abroad as requested and try to obtain pictorial evidence for my assertion, but I can't promise that I'll be executing that particular mission overly concertedly or with any real degree of enthusiasm. Expect a period of silence before you hear (or see) more on this. Sine die, as they say.

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

"What's that, Lassie? Steve's fallen down a tin-mine shaft? He's broken both his legs and is in danger from the build-up of deadly radon gas?"
"Woof."
"Bummer. Let's go crap in his garden!"
"Woof!"
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

GaryKelly wrote:"What's that, Lassie? Steve's fallen down a tin-mine shaft? He's broken both his legs and is in danger from the build-up of deadly radon gas?"
"Woof."
"Bummer. Let's go crap in his garden!"
"Woof!"
A dog-owner, I presume. :twisted:

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

SteveShaw wrote:A dog-owner, I presume. :twisted:
In a previous life, aye. There's a "no pets" clause in the lease though so today I are entirely petless.

I can safely say my old dog never dumped in Bude, though did twice in Helston many years ago. Sadly, close only counts with hand grenades and atom bombs :twisted:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

GaryKelly wrote:I can safely say my old dog never dumped in Bude, though did twice in Helston many years ago.
:evil: I slipped on a turd in Helston once many years ago. What did you say your dog looked like?