Learning to shave with a straight razor

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Loren wrote:Here ya go dude, go cueball in style:
http://www.headblade.com/default23.htm
Oh, that's the ticket!
I.D.10-t

Rolls Razor

Post by I.D.10-t »

Oh, Loren, you may be more interested in a modern shaving device.
Try one of these. Be careful though, they are often missing their handle (the blade is removed to sharpen it) Also the honing stone is often cracked due to people closing it improperly. (More info Rolls Razor)

I have never shaved with one so I cannot tell you how the steel holds up

That Badger and Blade site was interesting. I never would have guessed that people would take shaving so seriously. I am also surprised that Ebay has a shaving section.

As a side note, the old double edge safety razors are actually a really good deal if you think ahead and buy the blades ahead of time, but I doubt that you will be able to travel with them on a plane either.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Ro3b wrote:So since I shave my head, women who are attracted to me must have a deep subconscious drive to mate with a honeydew melon. Ok.
Maybe so, Rob. But I think the real question is this: Since you shave your head, does that mean you have a deep subconscious drive to mate with a bowling ball cleaner?

BTW, you shave? Gosh, I always thought you plucked. Oh wait - you do that on the guitar. Never mind.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I wondered how they were shaving their own heads!!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Here ya go dude, go cueball in style:
http://www.headblade.com/default23.htm
I've got one of those! But for reasons passing understanding, it uses Atra blades -- 1980s technology. And besides, having one implement to shave my face and another to do my head is too complicated for me. My Mach 3 works just fine. I like the new Fusion 5-blader, but the cartridges are expensive and wear out too fast.
Maybe so, Rob. But I think the real question is this: Since you shave your head, does that mean you have a deep subconscious drive to mate with a bowling ball cleaner?
Just what, sir, are you implying about my girlfriend?
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Iuse a Mach 3 (I think) and the blades last just fine. I do, however use a brush and soap instead of shaving creme. I've found over the years, that the worst thing I can do to a razor blade is to use that canned shaving cream junk.

Oh yeah, shave up instead of down seems to keep the blade sharper, and the face much smoother.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
missy

Post by missy »

ok - this is probably REALLY politically incorrect..... (and it is NOT a statement of my thoughts - I just thought is was funny)........

But I heard a comedian once state:

Why is it when African-American guys shave their heads it's sexy, but when white guys do it, they just look like a giant thumb? :D

As to why women shave, unfortunately in "corporate America" if I have to wear a skirt or dress, I have little choice in the matter.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dow wrote:Oh yeah, shave up instead of down seems to keep the blade sharper, and the face much smoother.
When I'm using a blade, I do the four-directional thing: first down (it's easier on my skin to start that way), then right-to-left and left-to-right, then up.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

missy wrote:they just look like a giant thumb
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one!

Actually, one has to deliberate as to whether a chrome job is really advisable. Not everyone has a smooth cranium like a lightbulb, and the odder the collection of lumps and bumps (phrenology anyone?) the worse it can look. A "thumb" might be considered a good rating for some. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

This
is an excellent product . . . Image.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Lambchop wrote:This
is an excellent product . . . Image.
Will it still work for me if I'm not black?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

BTW, only been following the thread occasionally..Did you ever get a razor, Loren?
I've been looking at a few sites and on ebay.
My ol' dad emailed me at the office today; he says he's still got his old cutthroats and strop and is going to see if they're still usable.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tyler Morris wrote:BTW, only been following the thread occasionally..Did you ever get a razor, Loren?
My ol' dad emailed me at the office today; he says he's still got his old cutthroats and strop and is going to see if they're still usable.
Nope not yet, I'll probably use up those damn Gillette Fusion disposables I just paid nearly $20 for first. :evil:

Loren
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Loren wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:BTW, only been following the thread occasionally..Did you ever get a razor, Loren?
Nope not yet, I'll probably use up those damn Gillette Fusion disposables I just paid nearly $20 for first. :evil:

Loren
I've been using those damn fusion things too...
sick of paying through the teeth for a good shave :swear:
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Hi Loren,

You are dead right about the cost etc. I got sick of it a few years back and bought myself a very good safety razor (the double edged blade type) and I've never looked back. I save a fortune in blades, and even though I spend much of the savings in soap shaving oil and on my brush (a good one I bought is well into its 5th year though), it has more than paid for itself in blade savings by this time.

I also use a cutthroat every now and again and have done for years, but only when I have the time and leisure to really take my time over a shave. You are dead right about the carbon steel advantages. You can also buy a disposable model that allows you to insert long single edged blades into a standard straight razor body - cheaper than buying a full on one which you have to buy a strop for etc. etc. Strongly recommend shaving oil for under the soap/cream and strongly strongly recommend a brush.

here is the razor I use called the merkur futur - it is an updated version of the old safety razor, is heavy and solid (a real advantage) and adjusts the blade angle. I have used it for 5 years and I really like it - I unhesitatingly recommend it and suspect that I will never have to buy another. Price not too bad and as I said, pays for itself very soon.

http://bestgroomingtools.com/product_in ... ucts_id=59

you might also check out the art of shaving. they are overy priced (New York) but have some very nice stuff, the best of which I think is their shaving oil.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos/home.php

best,

Ben