Learning to shave with a straight razor

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Loren wrote: So are you happy you made the switch? Do you feel the shave is better?

Cool looking dog!

Loren
I used it for a few years, and then went back to an old-fashioned safety-razor, which is what I use these days.

No, I don't suppose the shave is much closer than any of the more expensive systems, and I don't really care.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

first of all - you GUYS are cracking me up.....

TRY HAVING TO SHAVE YOUR LEGS AND UNDERARMS ALL THE TIME!!!!

Geesh, ya bunch of wusses!!!!

As to the actual topic, Tom had to go back to his high school graduation (40 years ago) picture to find one that he didn't have a full beard on. So he just has those small areas on his cheeks and neck to worry about. I got a Fusion in my Christmas basket last year and he uses that (it's got 5 blades!)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

Tony wrote:I usually get 3+ weeks of daily shaving from them.
THREE WEEKS?!? Man, I'm lucky if I get three shaves off a two-sided safety razor.

I went through the beard thing when I was a teenager. They are filthy things, full of dead skin and sweat and other stuff for making soup stock with. I got sick of long thick hairs from my mustache sliding into my mouth when I was trying to eat. Now I shave a few times a week. Thanks to Don Johnson for making the unshaved look stylish (and everyone knows I'm nothing if not stylish :wink: ).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Many years ago, I started out using an electric shaver, but after a couple of years switched to using expensive Gillette disposables + old-fashioned shaving soap & brush.

Having to get all soaped up before shaving took too long for my tastes however, so now I've switched to a 'hybrid solution': I use an electric shaver (Philips) with a built-in pack of lotion as my main shaver, but I usually combine that with a quick extra shave with a Mach 3, just to get the 'close shave' feel. No need to soap up especially for the Mach 3; the lotion from the electric shaver is still present and is sufficient. Also, the complete shave is quicker than using just a Mach 3 + soap, and used in this way, the Mach 3 blades last forever (a 3-pack will last me 6 months or more).

The only downside to this method is that I do use quite a bit of lotion for the electric shaver, and that is not exactly inexpensive... :( Perhaps I should switch to something cheaper, regular soap or something...?
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:
Tony wrote:I usually get 3+ weeks of daily shaving from them.
THREE WEEKS?!? Man, I'm lucky if I get three shaves off a two-sided safety razor.

I went through the beard thing when I was a teenager. They are filthy things, full of dead skin and sweat and other stuff for making soup stock with. I got sick of long thick hairs from my mustache sliding into my mouth when I was trying to eat. Now I shave a few times a week. Thanks to Don Johnson for making the unshaved look stylish (and everyone knows I'm nothing if not stylish :wink: ).

djm
This just in: Beards can be washed just like other parts of the body. Film at 11!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fel bautista wrote:My dad was a barber and I have all his straight razors. They are the carbon steel variety and are incredibly sharp. I 've got the sharpening stones, leather strop, boar brushes as well. I remember him sharpening them on his day off. I think one of the handles is ivory.

I tried to use one, way back in the begining of time and failed. I did use one of those blue steel gilette blades ( two edges and you had to take the holder apart to put the blade in).

I use one of those tripple edge jobbies, but since my beard ( being filipino, it don't happen) is light, I can make it last and last.
I got both the triple-bladed Mach Three and the four-bladed Quattro with the vibrating handle (the things relatives give me for christmas....heh)..I like the three bladed better. It seems to give a smoother shave.

I don't grow much facial hair, either..in fact, it wasn't until I was in my mid twenties that I could grow more than a couple of tufts. I dry shave about twice a week because every shaving cream known to man breaks my skin out the next day...including the soap and brush in a mug. I end up changing the blade out about once every six weeks, so I'm only spending about 25 bucks a year on shaving.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

missy wrote:first of all - you GUYS are cracking me up.....

Actually I've always found it strange that so many women feel compelled to shave their legs and underarms. It's a weird tradition and seems totally unnatural. I don't find smooth, shaven legs to be any more "feminine" or attractive than unshaven legs; quite the opposite. I know hairy legs look weird under nylon hose, but the whole nylon hose thing is weird to begin with. You would think that women would question these practices and rethink them -- usually it's men who get caught in the "this is the way it's always been done" trap; women are generally smarter than that, but for some reason these practices persist.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The Weekenders wrote: What is big out here are these strange tiny wedges of hair below the lower lip. I guess its a cyclical thing, working downward from goatees, which remain big with sports types. When I ponder these things, I always get the mental picture of the dude staring in the mirror too long to be a manly man....Vanity strikes. I'm too old to spend a lot of time looking in the mirror, especially since I can't see that well, and what I do see, I don't much care for.

The facial hair cycle reminds me of eyeglasses, which went from completely big and round to little, square and flat over the years. In each case, there was somebody thinking they just looked GREAT that way...

The little things (soul patches?) look kinky to me. I notice that white jazz guys have 'em, along with the little African-y caps.
When I grow a goatee (which is nearly always), I get that little wedge growing from under my lip down into the goatee...that's just the way the hair grows. I don't have to shave it into shape.

I'm just naturally cool, I guess ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Geesh, ya bunch of wusses!!!!

Oh yeah? Well you try growing and Adam's apple and then shaving it daily!

:lol:

Just kidding, must be a drag to have to do all that shaving.

Loren
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

bradhurley wrote:

Actually I've always found it strange that so many women feel compelled to shave their legs and underarms. It's a weird tradition and seems totally unnatural. I don't find smooth, shaven legs to be any more "feminine" or attractive than unshaven legs; quite the opposite. I know hairy legs look weird under nylon hose, but the whole nylon hose thing is weird to begin with. You would think that women would question these practices and rethink them -- usually it's men who get caught in the "this is the way it's always been done" trap; women are generally smarter than that, but for some reason these practices persist.
Don't forget high heels.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Don't forget high heels.
Well, those are just bizarre, not creepy. The creepy thing about shaving underarms and legs is that, if you look at it objectively, it seems to be designed to make women look like prepubescent virgins. For most people, hair under the arms and hair on your legs doesn't happen in earnest until they reach puberty. So by shaving off those hairs it's as if you're trying to give the impression you haven't reach puberty yet. And that's supposed to be more attractive to men? That's creepy! It implies that all men are into child molestation. Maybe that sort of thing was attractive at one time, but I can't imagine why it would be now.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

So by shaving off those hairs it's as if you're trying to give the impression you haven't reach puberty yet. And that's supposed to be more attractive to men? That's creepy! It implies that all men are into child molestation.
So since I shave my head, women who are attracted to me must have a deep subconscious drive to mate with a honeydew melon. Ok.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Ro3b wrote:
So by shaving off those hairs it's as if you're trying to give the impression you haven't reach puberty yet. And that's supposed to be more attractive to men? That's creepy! It implies that all men are into child molestation.
So since I shave my head, women who are attracted to me must have a deep subconscious drive to mate with a honeydew melon. Ok.
Or an infant male...they're pretty bald most of the time too... :P
...door swings both ways brad :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Ro3b wrote:So since I shave my head, women who are attracted to me must have a deep subconscious drive to mate with a honeydew melon. Ok.
How do you shave your head, Ro3b? I've been thinking about going cueball,
and I didn't know if one used a regular gilette-type disposable or a special
style of razor for getting those curvey sections, or what...
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »