Alto flute recommendations

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

On off-brand crap, the action (which is a real deciding factor on a huge linkage like an alto - as long as a tenor sax) is either ugly, clunky, or nonfunctional. Take it to a technician, and a bad one will do a half-assed job and a good one will turn you away.

If someone had a problem with one of your flutes, you would (and have, I hear) do everything to remedy that problem. No such luck with Jade Garden Alto Flutes (TM).

Jupiter/Yamaha/Yaginasawa makes makes great axes with less frustration. Also, I've had 3 Armstrong flutes (a C, an Eb, and a time with a Bass), and they're solid, a little crude, and infinitely adjustable. A friend of mine was stuck playing her 'marching flute' in a major Canadian orchestra, and it worked surprisingly well. An Armstrong.

Pleeeeeese, buy a real instrument.

This rant has been brought to you by a band-teacher who thinks that Doug is a quality guy and that he deserves a quality instrument. Chiffed has never tried Masons or Internationals, or Tingly Jade Palace alto flutes.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Since I alreaady owned the Venus concert flute, I went ahead and followed my own judgement and purchased the Venus alto flute with gold plated keys and two heads for $895 on ebay. I have been making and repairing instruments for a good part of my life, and I have to admit that I am impressed with the Venus alto flute. It blows easily throughout its range, and the French pointed keys work smoothly.

For the sake of comparison I thought that it would be interesting to lay four different flutes side by side. From top to bottom the flutes are a low D flute in ironwood by Mark Hoza, a special-edition Tipple 3-piece low D flute in gray pvc, a standard Venus concert silver-plated, open-holed flute, and a Venus silver-plated alto flute. Not pictured is the curved headjoint for the alto flute. Not accustomed to playing an alto flute, I was immediately struck by how large it is in comparison to the standard concert flute. After playing the alto flute for awhile, picking up a low D flute feels like a piece of cake in terms the air that is required to play it.
Notice the white pearl finger keys on the alto flute. When holding the flute, the two hands are much farther apart but the fingers are close together. What you can do with keys! Please click on the photo if you want to download the photo.

Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Congrats, Doug. I hope the new flute serves you well.

Yer a braver man than I (and you have an alto flute while I do not, and I'm jealous).

Now you can play along with some Flook! tracks, too!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.