what are these things called in english?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

SteveShaw wrote:... (if I had a dog it would be .... dead).
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience."
--Woodrow Wilson

:wink:
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

scottielvr wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:... (if I had a dog it would be .... dead).
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." --Woodrow Wilson
wink:
"If a dog will not come to me after having looked at me in the face, and not jump up and "playfully" put its muddy feet all up my jumper, nor foul my very shoes with its street-ordure, nor yet sh1t in my garden or bark all night, then a happy chappie I shall be." --Steve Shaw

:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

amar wrote:no, sissies because of getting watery eyes if there is a nice lemon scent in the air. :D
So if I have health issues because someone scents the air, and that makes me a sissy, does that make someone who takes insulin a sissy and they should stop and not complain?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Martin Milner wrote:I can tell at one whiff if someone at work has had a cigarette in the last twenty minutes, and of course a couple of hours in a smoky pub session are slow torture. Roll on the day when the smokers are all dead and the rest of us can breathe untainted air again.
Dude! :lol: I am fine with smoking outside away from everyone. I prefer it. It makes an excellent excuse to leave off trying to make conversation for a few blessed minutes. I pick up my butts and put them in ziploc bags. I don't think people should have to breathe my smoke. So I don't blame you on that one.

As far as people stinking from smoking, well, that doesn't injure a person's health so I go along with Fran Liebowitz on that one (although she was actually talking about the act of smoking, not just the remaining odor---so I don't go along with being able to smoke anywhere, just on being allowed to smell like a smoker without being given the death sentence :lol: ).
Fran Liebowitz wrote:I understand, of course, that many people find smoking objectionable. That is their right. I would, I assure you, be the very last to criticize the annoyed. I myself find many-- even most-- things objectionable. Being offended is the natural consequence of leaving one's home. I do not like aftershave lotion, adults who roller-skate, children who speak French, or anyone who is unduly tan. I do not, however, go around enacting legislation and putting up signs. In private I avoid such people; in public they have the run of the place. I stay at home as much as possible, and so should they. When it is necessary, however, to go out of the house, they must be prepared, as I am, to deal with the unpleasant personal habits of others. That is what "public" means.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Rod Sprague wrote:does that make someone who takes insulin a sissy and they should stop and not complain?
Absolutely! Knowing that they themselves are sickly wussies, they have no right to impinge on the personal freedom of others. They exist at the goodwill of the majority, but are looking for trouble when they try to browbeat others with their weakness.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Cynth wrote:As far as people stinking from smoking, well, that doesn't injure a person's health so I go along with Fran Liebowitz on that one ...
Fran Liebowitz is Goddess. :wink:

But you forgot: "I would never teach a child to smoke who couldn't do long division first."

Oh, and since this was recently raised elsewhere, here's one of hers that's just for Walden.

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra. In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra."
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cynth wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:I can tell at one whiff if someone at work has had a cigarette in the last twenty minutes, and of course a couple of hours in a smoky pub session are slow torture. Roll on the day when the smokers are all dead and the rest of us can breathe untainted air again.
Dude! :lol: I am fine with smoking outside away from everyone. I prefer it. It makes an excellent excuse to leave off trying to make conversation for a few blessed minutes. I pick up my butts and put them in ziploc bags. I don't think people should have to breathe my smoke. So I don't blame you on that one.

As far as people stinking from smoking, well, that doesn't injure a person's health so I go along with Fran Liebowitz on that one (although she was actually talking about the act of smoking, not just the remaining odor---so I don't go along with being able to smoke anywhere, just on being allowed to smell like a smoker without being given the death sentence :lol: ).
Fran Liebowitz wrote:I understand, of course, that many people find smoking objectionable. That is their right. I would, I assure you, be the very last to criticize the annoyed. I myself find many-- even most-- things objectionable. Being offended is the natural consequence of leaving one's home. I do not like aftershave lotion, adults who roller-skate, children who speak French, or anyone who is unduly tan. I do not, however, go around enacting legislation and putting up signs. In private I avoid such people; in public they have the run of the place. I stay at home as much as possible, and so should they. When it is necessary, however, to go out of the house, they must be prepared, as I am, to deal with the unpleasant personal habits of others. That is what "public" means.
Amen.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

djm wrote:
Rod Sprague wrote:does that make someone who takes insulin a sissy and they should stop and not complain?
Absolutely! Knowing that they themselves are sickly wussies, they have no right to impinge on the personal freedom of others. They exist at the goodwill of the majority, but are looking for trouble when they try to browbeat others with their weakness.

djm
:lol:
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

The fastest way to put a chemical into you blood, short of using a needle, is to inhale it.

Smells are caused by chemicals in the air.

The whole idea behind Aromatherapy is that one is putting the chemical constituents of herbs by the most direct route into the blood.

Aromatherapy can be a very effective way to take herbal medications if you know what you have going on and know which essential oils relate to correcting the adventure.

Arbitrarily using some artificially manufactured stink pretty scent is nothing more than air pollution.

Read labels.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I have no problem with aromatherapy done using sound theory, I just happen to agree that using arbitrary odors is a form of air pollution, especially if people are having allergic or other bad reactions to it. It sounds like calling the obnoxiously scented stuff aromatherapy products is a form of fraud, even if they can get away with it legally.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Rod Sprague wrote:I have no problem with aromatherapy done using sound theory, I just happen to agree that using arbitrary odors is a form of air pollution, especially if people are having allergic or other bad reactions to it. It sounds like calling the obnoxiously scented stuff aromatherapy products is a form of fraud, even if they can get away with it legally.
There's another issue that even an aromatherapy is approached with a science based theory needs to address, how the essential oils used (derived from actual plant sources) affect those exposed to their scents as second hand aromatherapy.

If I spray myself with a solution that has a blend of oils to help me balance my postmenopausal hormones or assist me deal with my lack of appetite, what kind of an effect with it have on a pregnant neighbor or grief stricken relative when we go shopping together?

Even if the formula wasn't arbitrarily chosen for me, it suddenly becomes arbitrary and invasive to my innocent companions.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

hyldemoer wrote:it suddenly becomes arbitrary and invasive to my innocent companions.
Kinda like a ƒart with side-effects?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

GaryKelly wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:it suddenly becomes arbitrary and invasive to my innocent companions.
Kinda like a ƒart with side-effects?
Are there farts without side-effects, favourable or otherwise? :boggle:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

It's an odd thing the ole' factory. I live in a place festooned by show gardens Only last week we were inundated by a storm of flower petals - I thought it was snowing. A week before, my car was yellow from all the pollen on it (and it's in a carport). I can walk up the road and get uplifted and nauseated alternately with every second step (and then I go past the plot covered in blood-and-bone - it's a relief).

Life stinks - but I like it ;)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

SteveShaw wrote: "If a dog will not come to me after having looked at me in the face, and not jump up and "playfully" put its muddy feet all up my jumper, nor foul my very shoes with its street-ordure, nor yet sh1t in my garden or bark all night, then a happy chappie I shall be." --Steve Shaw

:

Don't blame the dog, blame the owner. Well trained dogs don't cause any of those problems.

Loren