Keys and Response

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Keys and Response

Post by Unseen122 »

I was told by a well respected Flute player (no names) that adding keys to a Flute lessens the response and punch of a Flute. I know that there are probably a bunch of different opinions, but I would like to hear some of them. If you are wondering why I ask, I am considering saving up and getting keys on my Burns.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That's an interesting question...and one I can't properly answer since I've never had a keyless flute and then had keys added to it - which is the situation you're specifically asking about.

Based solely upon previously owning some flutes with keys and some without, it doesn't seem like the keys are the deciding factor in "response and punch". If any key is leaking though, it will decrease playability greatly.

Then again, I like keys and therefore am biased.

Eric
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

My experience with the Hamilton is that the keyless body had a bit less resistance compared to the keyed body.

In either configuration, it's a loud, projective, powerful, dynamic flute. After I made the adjustment, I found the flute just as responsive on keyed body as it had been on the unkeyed.

I've also gone from unkeyed to keyed on an M&E, on the same body. The unkeyed M&E may have seemed a bit louder than the keyed; however, that was some time ago and I do not remember clearly enough to say for certain.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
m31

Post by m31 »

Theoretically yes. Saxophones pads have resonators to improve response. However if the compromises are so great with a keyed flute then most people would have to own one of each (or multiple unkeyed flutes). I've dabbled with odd keyed fingerings to increase venting and improve response and intonation and vibrato.

As Eric said, the slightest leak significantly diminishes playability.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've had keyed and unkeyed flutes by the same maker,
two entirely different flutes, and there was no discernible
difference in responsiveness. The keyed flute was the
more responsive if one of them was.

It's hard to see this difference amounting to much,
even if it somehow exists.

What is less and less clear to me is the need for keys.
If only keys weren't so sexy....
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Avery, Doc had keys added to his boxwood Rudall-style Burns flute a while back, and he's been happy with it. Have you asked him?

M
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I seem to vaugley remember that. Maybe I should shoot him an email. The reason I really want keys is for the Jazz that I play, and I don't actually use the D Flute to much. If I really want to do that maybe I should just get a Delrin C from a certain McGee. I am definatly going to send it back to Casey for a check up and thought that if I wanted to add any thing I should do it then. Maybe just the slide and rings. Another thing is I don't want to do the extra care and precautions that need to be done with a keyed wooden Flute. Although, I still would like to hear peoples opinions on this.
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

Although a noob on flute and as an ex trombone jazzer, bending and glissando-ing notes on my unkeyed is a lot easier than on the Böhm. Feel it makes blues and standard ballad jazz more difficult, but then am inexperienced on both instruments.
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Keys do not add much to the care of a flute, in my
experience. Minimal additional bother.
But I'm not much into oiling.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't find that keys add much to the care of a flute. When I had a few (multi-) keyed flutes, I just had a stash of ~1 cm squares of plastic wrap, which I slipped under the pad when I oiled. It adds maybe all of a minute to the oiling of a six-key. And whether you even need to do that depends on what the pads are made of. Newer foam pads don't need any special treatment at all.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

C age ing wrote:Although a noob on flute and as an ex trombone jazzer, bending and glissando-ing notes on my unkeyed is a lot easier than on the Böhm. Feel it makes blues and standard ballad jazz more difficult, but then am inexperienced on both instruments.
I am not talking about a Bohm Flute. I bending notes and sliding is simple enough on a wooden Flute.

Some people make such a big deal out of oiling keyed Flutes. Plus it would give me more to worry about, like leaks and not breaking the keys. It would also add weight to a very light Flute.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

True the keys add a bit of weight but I find that the flute feels more balanced with keys, especially if it has a lined headjoint.

If your flute is well made you should have no problems with the keys, nor should they have any adverse effect on the sound of your flute. The only significant issue is leaks, which happen rarely in my experience as long as you have a good flute (I've never had a leaky key in more than 20 years of playing simple-system flutes, but maybe I've just been lucky). A leaky key can can certainly weaken the bottom notes of your flute but it's easily addressed. Oiling a keyed flute is slightly more bother, but if you just cover the key pads with saran wrap to prevent oil from getting on them (and be sure to wipe the excess oil off the flute), you shouldn't have any problems.

This idea that keys harm the sound of your flute sounds bogus to me; I've actually heard a flute maker say just the opposite, but really I doubt it has any effect at all.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

If there's a difference in response between keyed and unkeyed simple-system flutes, I don't think it's all that significant, really. But that's personal experience. Maybe my neurons are clodhoppers.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

hope i understand your question avery ....i think the question is whether a pre-existing keyless flute can have more toneholes bored into it without changing the integrity of the pre-existing bore since more space (volume) is introduced by the chimney depth of the new toneholes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

rama wrote:hope i understand your question avery ....i think the question is whether a pre-existing keyless flute can have more toneholes bored into it without changing the integrity of the pre-existing bore since more space (volume) is introduced by the chimney depth of the new toneholes.
A fine point that I missed for no good reason. Thanks, rama.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician