How do you care for and store a Burke Composite whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How do you care for and store a Burke Composite whistle?

Post by azw »

How do you care for and store/carry a Burke composite whistle?

I've just gotten a Burke Composite Narrow Bore D. It sure is lightweight and thin-walled. I'm amazed that Mike can machine something this delicate.

Are these whistles fragile? Do you store them in something more substantial than a soft case?
LisaD

Re: How do you care for and store a Burke Composite whistle?

Post by LisaD »

azw wrote:How do you care for and store/carry a Burke composite whistle?

I've just gotten a Burke Composite Narrow Bore D. It sure is lightweight and thin-walled. I'm amazed that Mike can machine something this delicate.

Are these whistles fragile? Do you store them in something more substantial than a soft case?
Yes, they're pretty fragile. I cracked the headpiece of my composite low E once. I was carrying it in a backpack (dumb, dumb, dumb) and leaned against something. Now I keep it in a hard case.
azw

Post by azw »

Oh, that must have been a downer!

What kind of hard case do you use, Lisa?
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

I made one ... go to this page and scroll down to my post there. :)

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... c&start=15
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I have one. It seemed sturdy to me, so thanks for the heads up.
Short bio: 1952-
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I don't think you need to be over paranoid or anything but they are made of fairly rigid material so will crack or chip with concussion.

Common sense handling should be fine. PVC pipe makes great whistle cases if you want something bullet proof.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Doc Jones wrote: Common sense handling should be fine. PVC pipe makes great whistle cases if you want something bullet proof.

Doc
No, the neighbors don't like 'em, but they're peaceful people.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

A person who goes to our session kept one in her trunk this summer for three days and it got misshapen and loose around the joint. So, don't do that.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
azw

Post by azw »

Thanks, FJohnSharp. That's odd and good to know. I wouldn't expect bakelite to be heat sensitive.

Doc Jones, I like the PVC tubes, too, but if you get more than three or four of them sorting through them is like herding cats!
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

azw wrote:How do you care for and store/carry a Burke composite whistle?

Hi,

Just a question. I´m planning to buy a Burke myself. Why did you choose the composite over aluminium or brass?

/all the best, Falkbeer
StarrM

Post by StarrM »

Oh my. After reading this thread, I wonder if I should try to find a hard case for my new D/C set. I received them from Pat O'Riordan in August and have been taking them almost everywhere with me. (They're blackwood...sooo beautiful. He is such an artist.)

Starr
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hi Starr! Still bummed we weren't able to hook-up when I was in St. Louis a few years ago. I haven't been back since.

Your Pat O's should be fine travelling with you during the mild months of the year, just don't leave them in a hot car in the summer, and I'd think twice about taking them out and about in the winter if you can't either keep them warm, or allow them to slowly adjust to colder weather and then back to room temps - playing cold wooden whistles/flutes, or taking warm (just played) instruments out into the cold, even in a case, can lead to cracks I'm afraid.

Pat makes wonderful whistles (I miss the set I had), enjoy!

Loren
azw

Post by azw »

falkbeer wrote:...I´m planning to buy a Burke myself. Why did you choose the composite over aluminium or brass?
Hi, Falkbeer, I've never played an aluminum Burke. I do have a brass Burke, which is very nice, but I wanted the quieter sound of the composite for practicing around the house. It may also be useful when I'm playing with friends on tunes I'm still learning.

I think the quieter noise level is working out. I've gotten fewer "Can you give it a break?" requests from the family. It's also very pretty sounding and extremely easy to play.

But if I was going to have just one, I think I'd choose the brass. I like the way feels in the hands a little better. This is probably an emotional rather than rational thing. In my head, at least, the brass one comes closer to my own ill-conceived ideal of whistleness.
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

Care? Besides giving your whistles love and tender lips?
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

StarrM wrote:Oh my. After reading this thread, I wonder if I should try to find a hard case for my new D/C set. I received them from Pat O'Riordan in August and have been taking them almost everywhere with me. (They're blackwood...sooo beautiful. He is such an artist.)

Starr
Yes!!!!!! Yes yes YEEESSSS. O'Riordans are not readily available, and Pat's not taking orders. You mess those up and you'll be kicking yourself for many years to come.... find some kind of a hard case, please..... either that or send them to me and I'll put them in storage for you (heh heh heh.....)

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."