what are these things called in english?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I think Frank Zappa called them "Fuming Incense Stenchers" so I've called them that ever since.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I call them "asthma triggers." :)

Went to work one morning and started squeaking and gasping. Traced the faint scent of something clean down to the end of the hall and through two offices, where I found one of those be-damned things in an office . . . percolating some kind of noisome goo. Went back to my office and phoned up the safety squad.

The thing's owner never spoke to me again. "But it was just an air freshener!" <sob!>
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rod Sprague »

That sort of nonsense can give me a sinus headache that makes normal functioning impossible. I don’t use any sort of product with an odor added to it, or my hands, scalp, armpits or everything under my clothing will break out in a rash. I hate the idiots that decided to replace the effective unscented dishwashing liquids with that “aromatherapy” crud. I don’t even understand non-allergy sufferers that seem to want everything in their lives to have an odor. Life is so much more interesting when you can smell all the natural odors in a clean environment. If something smells bad, something is wrong and you shouldn’t try to cover it up with some cheap odor. I find that when you cover up that odor with another odor, it compounds the situation by creating a worse odor with hybrid vigor! I then associate the cover odor with the original cause of the nasty odor. There is this odor anything associated with babies is added to. When I smell that odor, I am reminded of used disposable diapers!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

scottielvr wrote:
Congratulations wrote: Image

I have a dirty secret:

I liked that movie.

:oops:
Your secret's safe with me; I don't know what the movie is.

P.S. Don't tell me. I don't really want to know. :wink:
:lol: Really!

Rod Sprague wrote:That sort of nonsense can give me a sinus headache that makes normal functioning impossible. I don’t use any sort of product with an odor added to it, or my hands, scalp, armpits or everything under my clothing will break out in a rash. I hate the idiots that decided to replace the effective unscented dishwashing liquids with that “aromatherapy” crud. I don’t even understand non-allergy sufferers that seem to want everything in their lives to have an odor. Life is so much more interesting when you can smell all the natural odors in a clean environment. If something smells bad, something is wrong and you shouldn’t try to cover it up with some cheap odor. I find that when you cover up that odor with another odor, it compounds the situation by creating a worse odor with hybrid vigor! I then associate the cover odor with the original cause of the nasty odor. There is this odor anything associated with babies is added to. When I smell that odor, I am reminded of used disposable diapers!
I'm not allergic to scents but I also just find clean air to be much better than any other smell. It is often hard to find products that don't have scent in them. I really can't understand it. If I am wearing something with a scent I keep smelling it all day and wondering why I smell funny. I hate walking through cosmetics departments in stores---especially when those ladies start running towards you with their little spray bottles!!! :o :boggle: :o I have even seen scented products to put on your pets. My cats smell very good thank you! If they didn't I would take them to the doctor.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Rod Sprague wrote:If something smells bad, something is wrong and you shouldn’t try to cover it up with some cheap odor. I find that when you cover up that odor with another odor, it compounds the situation by creating a worse odor with hybrid vigor!
Yep -- Before it smelled like someone farted, and now it smells like someone farted a Christmas Tree.

Sometimes I wish I could call a safety squad like lambchop described.I start watering up and sneezing like hell around a lot of women's colognes. The other day, a very nice woman came into my office -- the kind of nice woman that most men would love to have come into their office -- and sat next to me while we worked on a payroll problem. And I started sneezing, and my eyes started watering because she was wearing some kind of perfume that was just setting me off in a big way. "Oh, my perfume is making you sneeze," she said, but these people are popping a goodly sum for me to sit around on my ass until they need me to fix a problem, so since she was a client, I just said "No, I'm OK. There's just something in the air."
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

The strangest use of a scented product for me is the use in restaurants of strongly scented soap with an odor you cannot rinse off your hands. Can’t restraints figure out a strong odor on your hands can ruin an otherwise wonderful meal? Didn’t someone go to great lengths to give the food that wonderful odor with all those subtle yet complex touches? What chef has ever said “What this needs now is a good dash of cheap perfume, and my masterpiece will be complete!”?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I had to suffer half an hour in someone else's car the other day with a dangly air-"freshener" that was purportedly there to kill the doggy smell (if I had a dog it would be (a) never allowed anywhere near my car, (b) dead). The fake vanilla scent was so strong I damn near passed out, I can tell you. I once had to threaten divorce to stop my wife lighting vanilla-scented tea-lights all over the house. There's an aisle in our local supermarket selling the blasted things that I just can't walk down.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

you're all sissies. :D
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Rod Sprague wrote:I find that when you cover up that odor with another odor, it compounds the situation by creating a worse odor with hybrid vigor!
With you there Rod. There are dozens of "smell squirters" on the market, each trying to convince us that it's nice to have a house smelling of flowrs or fruit or whatever. They should do one with freshly baked bread smell. It's all a method to get hard earned cash out of our pockets and into theirs.

I can tell at one whiff if someone at work has had a cigarette in the last twenty minutes, and of course a couple of hours in a smoky pub session are slow torture. Roll on the day when the smokers are all dead and the rest of us can breathe untainted air again.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

amar wrote:you're all sissies. :D
Oh, yeah, this coming from the guy with the pink kitty tattoo, sure.... :D :P :D :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

amar wrote:you're all sissies. :D
Sissies, because we don't like poncey stinky girly whiffs everywhere we go? Oh yeah? :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Every day there are new products being introduced that induce artifical aroma. They have the Glade Plug Ins that you plug in to an electric outlet and every so often it gives of a whisp of smoke.

The smell I hate the most at work is the smell of burnt popcorn because people think they just have to cook popcorn in the microwave all day long.

Which reminds me, after removing large amounts of carpet and pad I still can't find that damn cat pee smell. I'm tearing up more carpet tonight. And replacing the floors in a couple weeks. All because of a leaking washing machine.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

no, sissies because of getting watery eyes if there is a nice lemon scent in the air. :D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Martin Milner wrote:Roll on the day when the smokers are all dead and the rest of us can breathe untainted air again.
Well I can't promise I'm going to die any time soon Marmil old chap, but for you, I'll do my best. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cynth wrote:
scottielvr wrote:
Congratulations wrote: Image

I have a dirty secret:

I liked that movie.

:oops:
Your secret's safe with me; I don't know what the movie is.

P.S. Don't tell me. I don't really want to know. :wink:
:lol: Really!
Okay, I won't tell you, then. :wink:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up