CP: Grand Opening Special--special invitation and thanks

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

CP: Grand Opening Special--special invitation and thanks

Post by Wanderer »

Well, I've been kind of hemming and hawing about whether or not I should put a commercial post here.

Mahan Woodwinds opened its doors about a month ago, and I've been content to not really talk about it much. I was running a grand opening special for $65.00 for the month of October until I'd sold the few whistle I'd made, and gotten feedback on improving them before "going commercial" to so speak.. I sold the last one last week, and so I busted my buns to get some more whistles made before grand opening special was over.

I currently have some whistles in bubinga, cocobolo, and bocote completed and ready.

Cocoblo wood

Bocote wood

Bubinga wood

Because C&F has been such a great place for me to hang out all these years, and learn more about playing whistles, and because, quite frankly, I would never have learned what I needed to know to get started making whistles without the good people here, I wanted to make a special invitation to C&F members.

From now until Nov 7th (that's my birthday! whee!), C&F members can take advantage of the October grand opening special price of $65.00 for a little while longer. Just drop me a line before Nov 8th, and let me know you're a C&Fer and want the special price. This price is good for whistles in stock only.

When I first started playing the whistle a little over a decade ago, I would have never thought in a million years I'd play in a band or make my own whistles...and I don't think I'd have ever done those things if it weren't for C&F. Thanks guys and gals! :)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

Wanderer,

Went out to your site - the whistle sounds very lovely. How much do you plan to sell them for after the sale?
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The plan is to have them up for $110.00 after the sale.

I'm hoping to add tunables to the list by May.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

This is brilliant news dude!!

I love the sound of the whistle and can't hardly wait to get my hands on one!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Congrats Wanderer! I wish you much success and fun in whistle making.
So, who's gonna review YOU? :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The sound clip sounds great. Doing a tour perhaps?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

All the best.

I miss some pictures. Can't wait to have a close look. Hopefully time will provide.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

brewerpaul wrote:Congrats Wanderer! I wish you much success and fun in whistle making.
:lol:
Tommy wrote:The sound clip sounds great. Doing a tour perhaps?
Good idea, I think. Gets the whistle out there and people can make a more informed decision on it. Of course, I have my own selfish reasons on wanting to get my hands on one! Always in the market to try another whistle!
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Greg,

Your web page seems to be malfunctioning, I get a "permission denied" message when I click on your link button.

Loren
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Loren wrote:Greg,

Your web page seems to be malfunctioning, I get a "permission denied" message when I click on your link button.
Loren
Opens fine for me.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, still not working for me, guess the problem is on my end.

Loren
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

brewerpaul wrote:Congrats Wanderer! I wish you much success and fun in whistle making.
Well I'm not exactly a reviewer of any sort but, I've had one of Greg's new whistles in Cocobola for about three weeks now. I too have been laying low and didn't want to say much until Greg was sure he wanted to make an official announcement.

However, now that he has made it official, I feel free to add my meager thoughts.

It is a very nice whistle. Well finished and lovely to look at. It has a full, open and rather traditional sound (if I correctly understand the term). It has good volume (think Earl Bartlett's Al Syns) and is spot on (including the C natural with regular fingering) in tuning according to my Korg. The transition between octaves is very good and the second octave A and B are easily accessible without being overly loud. The A and B at the top of the second octave also sing out nicely rather than shriek. It responds very quickly. Nothing I can't play at top speed (at least my top speed that is). It requires very little warm up and clogging has not been a problem. It requires a moderate amount of air and has a bit of back pressure (more noticeable in the second octave) so you can play fairly long phrases and lean into it quite well.

All and all, I am very happy with this whistle. Up to now I've been mostly an Aluminum and Brass type of guy (with the exception of some Susatos). As my first foray into wood whistles, I am very pleased. I think Greg has made something of a convert. In sum, a heck of a whistle, especially as a first effort from a new whistle smith.

Peter
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I don't really want to run afoul of the commercial posting rules, so I'm going to make one update and try to answer as much as I can, and then I'll have to ask anyone to contact me via PM to discuss anything further ;)
Loren wrote:Greg,

Loren
Thanks...my ISP changed permissions on me.

I was writing my own referrer log cause I like to keep track of where hits to my website come from....so I was using ASP and the FileSystemObject to write a text file in my root directory. Evidently I don't have permission to do that any more.

This only affected the standard free music site, and not the store.
Lol, knowing C&F, I'm sure a few folks will step up to the plate :)

As busy as I've been learning how to do this, I really haven't missed reviewing whistles...much. But I think the few years I spent doing it has really helped me try to listen to my work objectively. Of course, the trick of playing a generation back to back with your own whistle really helps highlights the differences :)
Tommy wrote:The sound clip sounds great. Doing a tour perhaps?
I want to do a tour. I think they're great fun, and have benefitted me as much as anyone :) But, I didn't want to tour the first generation of whistles, because, lets face it...as soon as your first product hits the market, there are bound to be some improvements and suggestions. I wanted to make sure I was somewhat secure in my processes rather than putting something out and then going "But wait..I've made a few big changes since then...here's the new one". So, I decided that no tour for October. Honestly, since I'm going out of town next week, and I have to hope that the whistles I've made can cover any interest through then, I'm expecting that I probably won't be ready to do a tour until the end of November. Since that runs afoul of crazy Christmas postal madness, it's probably more realistic to expect something to happen in January.
peteinmn wrote: It is a very nice whistle. Well finished and lovely to look at. It has a full, open and rather traditional sound (if I correctly understand the term). It has good volume (think Earl Bartlett's Al Syns) and is spot on (including the C natural with regular fingering) in tuning according to my Korg. The transition between octaves is very good and the second octave A and B are easily accessible without being overly loud. The A and B at the top of the second octave also sing out nicely rather than shriek. It responds very quickly. Nothing I can't play at top speed (at least my top speed that is). It requires very little warm up and clogging has not been a problem. It requires a moderate amount of air and has a bit of back pressure (more noticeable in the second octave) so you can play fairly long phrases and lean into it quite well.

All and all, I am very happy with this whistle. Up to now I've been mostly an Aluminum and Brass type of guy (with the exception of some Susatos). As my first foray into wood whistles, I am very pleased. I think Greg has made something of a convert. In sum, a heck of a whistle, especially as a first effort from a new whistle smith.

Peter
Thanks for the very nice words Peter! You've touched on a lot of the characterstics I hope to achieve when I make a whistle. One of my favorite whistles is the Abell...and while my whistle is no Abell, I am trying my best to capture some of that same feel in my whistles, while easing up a bit on the breath requirements and volume.
Last edited by Wanderer on Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Congratulations! Good luck with it.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Are you aware that bubinga (particularly sawdust) is toxic? Although when finished and sealed it isn't usually a problem, it is problematic for whistles/recorders because many people will have a reaction on their lips/mouths. (I once had a bubinga recorder that made my mouth numb, which is how I come to know this.)

-- Scott