Scary Books and Movies

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I found the ring and the grudge very creepy. Wonder how the grudge2 is..

oh, and this scene in the exorcist totally freaked me out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0hi6zw6to

hahahah..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfGSeD_fumQ
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

The Grudge was the ONLY movie that I actually covered my eyes with my hands...... and I was watching the DVD in my own house. It is our whole family's benchmark for "scary movies" right now....

And I don't want to know about the part I didn't see! :oops:
(My boys, BTW, humor their olde Mom and don't tell her....)

As far as books, The Shining was the scariest for me. I wouldn't waste my time on It. And The Stand, while I thought it was one of his best works, isn't all that "scary" in the traditional sense...

M

If you have seen The Ring, please see Scary Movie 3. It is so funny, my sons were watching it again last night, and their laughter was infectious!!!!
djm

Post by djm »

I know I saw The Ring, but it was so dull it left no mark on me. Same with the Grudge. A hair clog in the drain. A little Japanese kid running around with shoe polish around his eyes. Oooo! Wet my pants .... NOT!

There was a series of films, can't think of the names of them now, where people wake up to find themselves in a bunch of interconnected white cubes, like a giant Rubic's thingy. They come across others as they randomly wander from cube to cube in any direction: up, down, sideways. Some of the rooms are lethal. The concept and the claustrophobia are good and scary. Too bad they couldn't think of anything more creative to do with the concept once they had the vehicle.

I am getting a much bigger kick out of the Scary Movie series. If you know the references, some of the gags are truley inspired (admittedly some are pretty lame, too).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
amar

Post by amar »

djm wrote:I know I saw The Ring, but it was so dull it left no mark on me. Same with the Grudge. A hair clog in the drain. A little Japanese kid running around with shoe polish around his eyes. Oooo! Wet my pants .... NOT!

There was a series of films, can't think of the names of them now, where people wake up to find themselves in a bunch of interconnected white cubes, like a giant Rubic's thingy. They come across others as they randomly wander from cube to cube in any direction: up, down, sideways. Some of the rooms are lethal. The concept and the claustrophobia are good and scary. Too bad they couldn't think of anything more creative to do with the concept once they had the vehicle.

I am getting a much bigger kick out of the Scary Movie series. If you know the references, some of the gags are truley inspired (admittedly some are pretty lame, too).

djm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/
:)

or this?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377713/
Last edited by amar on Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Hmmmm .... Cube ..... maybe ... Naw, too easy!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The seen in The Ring where the girl is in the closet gave me the creeps.
My youngest daughter about died it horiffied her so bad. One day my oldest daughter found a .jpg of that image and made it a background on Becky's Windows Desktop. I took it down before Becky saw it. I'm as much of a jokester as anyone but I knew how horrified Becky was about that image.

Books I thought were creepy: Dracula, and The Shining come to mind. Horror doesn't really scare me. I'm far more horrified by real life types of stories. Duel had me worried about big trucks for years.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar

Post by amar »

Flyingcursor wrote:The seen in The Ring where the girl is in the closet gave me the creeps.
My youngest daughter about died it horiffied her so bad. One day my oldest daughter found a .jpg of that image and made it a background on Becky's Windows Desktop. I took it down before Becky saw it. I'm as much of a jokester as anyone but I knew how horrified Becky was about that image.
That indeed was to most terrifying moment I have ever seen in a movie.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Books, hmm, lots to choose from...
I enjoy H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King. I think The Shining was probably my favorite, followed by From a Buick 8 (I know, a lot of people think that one's lame, but I listened to the unabridged audiobook while on vacation this year and really enjoyed it). There's more from King that I really enjoy, but I'd have to go back through my collection and review.
I used to write what I called horror, so I read a good deal of it for a while. Right now I'm sort of in a Hard-Boiled Detetcive phaze; Connelly, Hammett and Chandler mostly.

Movies:
Alien= great freakin flick
Aliens= very freaking great freakin flick
Alien 3=hey, that was good
Alien Ressurection= meh, ok
Aliens vs. Predator= :lol:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre= I usually don't go in for slasher flicks, but I liked this one.
The Grudge, The Ring, Dark Water, etc.= J-horrors, even American remakes, make good flicks, but if you've seen one, you've seen most of em (dead wet chicks, lots of shared imagery, i.e., "Hey, isn't that Grudgy lady the same as the Ringy lady who's the same as the Darkwatery Lady?? Does she always forget to take that white nightie off before she goes swimmin?? :P ").
ZOMBIE FILMS= I dunno why, but I am a total sucker for zombie films, even really really bad ones (Children of the Living Dead excepted :P ). Favorite zombie flicks= Shaun of the Dead, Romero's original NOTLD series, Dawn of the Dead (remake), and (don't shoot me) the Resident Evil series (new one coming out, YAY!).
Event Horizon creeped the buhjeebus outta me at first, but I still think it's a good one.

Oh, one television series I just loved, but it only lasted 3 years; Millenium was rad.
X-Flies was ok. I lost interest after they switched the writing format to one large story arc.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Scariest damn book I ever read: "The Keepsake" by Paul Huson. Read it when I was a teenager, spooked me for weeks. Another good read are Preston & Child's "Pendergast" books. Not specifically horror but with definite creepy elements. Cool stuff.

As for short story, nothing beats H.P. Lovecraft's "The Lurking Fear." If that story doesn't spook you, you ain't spookable. :wink:

"Horror" movies don't get to me much, probably because they try to show yo everything, and for me one of the scariest things is when the imagination is left to spin around on hits own for a bit.

That said, a movie I really enjoy again and again is "The Keep." It has some nice moments, even for an older flick.

Another movie I thought was well done was "Bram Stoker's Dracula." It has some nice moments as well.

Happy Halloween!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

American History X is the scariest movie I've ever seen. Do follow it with Rocky Horror Picture Show as the antidote. Preferably at a real, old, third-run theatre while wearing drag and chucking toast. Susan Sarandon at her best.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
As far as books, The Shining was the scariest for me. I wouldn't waste my time on It. And The Stand, while I thought it was one of his best works, isn't all that "scary" in the traditional sense...

M
yeah, well read it when everyone in your house has a cold and tell me it's not scary. . . :lol:

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Walden wrote:Image
IT'S THE GREAT PUMKIN!!!! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Personally, I agree with James that the scarier movies or books leave much to the imagination...but here are some books and movies that frightened me:

Movies
1) Evil Dead (the original...still can't sleep after watching it - my wife has banned this from coming into our house).
2) The Fog (original) - Maybe if I saw this again I'd not find it so creepy, but in my room as a teenager late at night...spooky.
3) Salem's Lot (original) - My friends and I watched this together when it was first broadcast, with crosses made of anything we could find in the room, and it was still creepy when I saw it as an adult.
4) The Ring (US version) - man, if I even see a commercial for this I get the chills.
5) The Haunting (original based on Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House) - Pure atmosphere and your own imagination at work here.
6) The Others - maybe this isn't pure horror, but it creates such a great atmosphere and is genuinely creepy.
7) Psycho (the movie my parents saw on their first date) - Norman is flat out creepy.
8 ) Nightmare on Elm Street - What a great concept! It made me think twice before going to sleep that night, and the next...

Books - Personally, I don't think most books can truly sustain a creepy atmosphere for several hundred pages - I prefer short stories:

1) Most things by Shirely Jackson (The Lottery, Haunting of Hill House, Yellow Wallpaper)
2) Edgar A. Poe - the master.
3) HP Lovecraft - great stuff.
4) Some of Steven King's stories - The book with the clapping monkey on the cover had some good ones.

Eric
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

The acting's a little over the top through much of the film, but just try watching F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu in the dark after a beer or two. :boggle: :boggle: