Currently Listening to

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Nanohedron wrote:
burnsbyrne wrote:I am on another of my periodic Latin jags. I discovered and started exploring Portuguese Fado music. I've been listening to a singer by the name of Mariza especially. I especially like the sound of the Portuguese guitarra which is a twelve-stringed guitar with a body like a tear drop shaped mandolin, a beautifully shaped head stock and a string tuning system that looks specifically designed to scare the newbees. I think it's an instrument that would lend itself nicely to Irish Trad.

And it has:

Yeah, that's it. But I think that's the mandolin version with 4 string courses. It has the fancy head and the crazy tuners though. Just think if all those 1970s Irish guys had hung out in Portugal instead of the Balkans we might all be playing Portuguese guitars instead of bouzoukis.
BTW, thanks for the pic.
Mike
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Richard Shindell concert on http://www.folkalley.com

Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Tom Waits time.

First:

Now:
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

burnsbyrne wrote:Yeah, that's it. But I think that's the mandolin version with 4 string courses. It has the fancy head and the crazy tuners though. Just think if all those 1970s Irish guys had hung out in Portugal instead of the Balkans we might all be playing Portuguese guitars instead of bouzoukis.
BTW, thanks for the pic.
Mike
You're right. I thought the gizmo looked rather small, and now, counting the tuners, I see you nailed it. I'd come across some mention that he played the 12-string beastie (I seem to recall a special name other than "guitarra" for the eight-stringed one, but Google has left me high and dry), but I haven't found any pics. It may be so that he never did, in fact, despite the lore, then.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Since it's 6:48 AM EST and I'm at "work" I am listening to the loud woman two cubes over.

Yesterday I listened to an Oscar Peterson CD.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I have been listening to the new Decemberists LP, and I am less than gruntled by it. It's not terrible, it's just...

Well, it's not terrible.

I almost bought a Dusty Springfield CD yesterday, but opted for a DVD of The Graduate, instead.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Bloomfield wrote:Image

The Fiery Furnaces: Blueberry Boat
How is it, then? I haven't been able to put down some money for it, yet.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Henke sent me a link on chat once of a Japanese group I thought was pretty cool. I'd listen to that if I had it.

Henke, if you read this, what was that band?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Congratulations wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Image

The Fiery Furnaces: Blueberry Boat
How is it, then? I haven't been able to put down some money for it, yet.
Very nice. Lush, sometimes verging on busy (the price you pay for growing up sampling stuff). But I like the full sound, nice vocal, and funny words---to the twisted mind; and I don't think you miss much not listening to them. I like their mix of electronic & acoustic sounds. Overall it's gives you the sense of self-confidence and purpose: These guys know what they're doing.
/Bloomfield
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Pauline Croze. You can listen to clips on Amazon.fr (the CD's available from Amazon.com too but they don't have sound samples).

"M'En Voulez-Vous" is very catchy.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Flyingcursor wrote:Henke sent me a link on chat once of a Japanese group I thought was pretty cool. I'd listen to that if I had it.

Henke, if you read this, what was that band?
I wish I remember... :-?
Was it long ago?
I tend to forget lots of things that I've written in the chat, it's usually very late over here :party:
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I started out my commute listening to "The Orange Tree" by Andre Marchand and Grey Larsen. As usual when I'm listening to that album, the dark, gentle mood of the music took me right in. Walking across snow-covered fields at sunrise, the cold dry air hard in your nostrils. The taste of crisp tart apples, of bourbon, of sage and mushrooms. The warmth of a sleeping cat in your lap as you doze by the fire and wind wails through the trees outside your window. Then (as usual when I'm listening to that album), I got bored about two-thirds of the way through, and put on "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon instead.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Ro3b wrote:Then (as usual when I'm listening to that album), I got bored about two-thirds of the way through, and put on "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon instead.
You are a longer-suffering man than I... ;)

right now:
couldn't resist that url...

Tapes 'n Tapes: The Loon
/Bloomfield
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

bradhurley wrote:Image

Pauline Croze. You can listen to clips on Amazon.fr (the CD's available from Amazon.com too but they don't have sound samples).

"M'En Voulez-Vous" is very catchy.
Brad, is the thrill one would get from listening to this CD any greater than the thrill one (okay, maybe a hetero male or a lesbian 'one', to be specific) will get fom gazing at the cover photo, trying not to drool? Because if it's not, you know maybe I'd just as soon keep gazing at the photo...
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

No music today.
I've got a bio-chemistry exam tonight.