The Nasty Bits

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

The Nasty Bits

Post by Loren »

Anthony Bourdain (Kitchen Confidential) has new book just out, titled The Nasty Bits. Last night during a power outage, I had the opportunity to read the first few chapters, and spent a good part of the time laughing out loud.

I particularly liked the chapter "The Evildoers" his take on the evils of corporatized fastfood, the joys of "good" fast food served by street vendors around the world, and blunt suggestion that we stop and think for a second before stuffing our selves with so much crap served by the clown, the king, and the like. It's classic Bourdain.

For those who liked Kitchen Confidential, The Nasty Bits is right up your Galley (pardon the pun). For those who haven't read Anthony Bourdain, this is as good a place as any to start, and you can likely find a copy at your local library presently.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to System D my way through my own lunch prep......

Loren
emmline

Re: The Nasty Bits

Post by emmline »

Loren wrote:... the joys of "good" fast food served by street vendors around the world...
I know. I see them and wish I ate bratwurst. (or whatever.) Where's a good street falafel vendor when you need one?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:
Loren wrote:... the joys of "good" fast food served by street vendors around the world...
I know. I see them and wish I ate bratwurst. (or whatever.) Where's a good street falafel vendor when you need one?
54th & 3rd, SE corner.
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bloomfield wrote:
emmline wrote:
54th & 3rd, SE corner.
Noted.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Bloomfield wrote:
emmline wrote:
54th & 3rd, SE corner.

That reminds me, if I go to visit Manhatten I was told I just "had" to check out 37th to 52nd between 8th and 10th.
Is that a good nightlife area?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

emmline wrote:
Amsterdam.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
emmline wrote: I know. I see them and wish I ate bratwurst. (or whatever.) Where's a good street falafel vendor when you need one?
54th & 3rd, SE corner.

That reminds me, if I go to visit Manhatten I was told I just "had" to check out 37th to 52nd between 8th and 10th.
That's Hell's Kitchen. Nice area, good restaurants some bars. On Eighth you have the dregs of what used to be the red light district around Times Square (Disneyfied & Sonyfied for you visiting pleasure). Beyond Tenth you're getting in the still somewhat industrial strip near the river. Hell's Kitchen was all the rage five - ten years ago, it's heavily gentrified I guess now, but one of the nicer neighborhoods I agree, if you like just a bit of a New York edge. I don't really do nightlife (it's too painful a reminder of my social ineptitude), so I can't much help you there. There is a bit of an Ethopian enclave toward the northern end of Hell's Kitchen, with some yummy food. (If you've never had Ethopian food, try it: it's great.)

So is this an entirely hypothetical trip, or is there the chance of a brewski? I bet you wear a hat.
/Bloomfield
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Bloomfield wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: 54th & 3rd, SE corner.

That's Hell's Kitchen. Nice area, good restaurants some bars. On Eighth you have the dregs of what used to be the red light district around Times Square (Disneyfied & Sonyfied for you visiting pleasure). Beyond Tenth you're getting in the still somewhat industrial strip near the river. Hell's Kitchen was all the rage five - ten years ago, it's heavily gentrified I guess now, but one of the nicer neighborhoods I agree, if you like just a bit of a New York edge. I don't really do nightlife (it's too painful a reminder of my social ineptitude), so I can't much help you there. There is a bit of an Ethopian enclave toward the northern end of Hell's Kitchen, with some yummy food. (If you've never had Ethopian food, try it: it's great.)

So is this an entirely hypothetical trip, or is there the chance of a brewski? I bet you wear a hat.
This was a discussionvafter watching "Bringing Out the Dead", awhile back where I said someday I should go to New York.
The guy who told me to go to that area said it was full of hookers and junkies.

I told my wife I really need to visit the place before I'm too old to enjoy it.
Maybe someday. I'll be sure to post in advance.

I wear a hat if it's cold, otherwise not.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:I told my wife I really need to visit the place before I'm too old to enjoy it.
Do. I'll go. I'm really good at social ineptitude.
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I told my wife I really need to visit the place before I'm too old to enjoy it.
Do. I'll go. I'm really good at social ineptitude.

That would be great! Our combined social ineptitude would not be the talk of the town!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Flyingcursor wrote:
This was a discussionvafter watching "Bringing Out the Dead", awhile back where I said someday I should go to New York.
The guy who told me to go to that area said it was full of hookers and junkies.

I told my wife I really need to visit the place before I'm too old to enjoy it.

I wear a hat if it's cold, otherwise not.
The guy may not have been quite up to date, but it's true enough that you'll find men's clubs and "video stores" and that sort of thing along 8th Ave. Don't know that there are more junkies there than in Lower East Side or the East Village, but maybe. Wouldn't know about hookers; I'll keep a lookout next time I'm over there. What do they look like?
/Bloomfield
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Bloomfield wrote:Wouldn't know about hookers; I'll keep a lookout next time I'm over there. What do they look like?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Bloomfield wrote:Wouldn't know about hookers; I'll keep a lookout next time I'm over there. What do they look like?
In Galway they look like this:

http://www.galleryireland.com/viewpaint ... /59/page/1
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

djm wrote:

djm
B#stard! Ginger ale just came out my nose!!!!
:lol: :swear:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.