How It's Made

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tril Bluejacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How It's Made

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

In November, the Science Channel's "How It's Made" (episode 9) will show how bagpipes are made. I saw a short preview of the bagpipes segment on TV this morning and thought it looked good. (A week or so ago, I watched an episode showing how recorders are made, and it was very good.)

Anyone who's interested can go here for a link to the schedule (click TV Schedule):

http://science.discovery.com/fansites/h ... smade.html
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Does anyone else who had small children (or used to be one) remember watching the Mister Rogers segments which had names like "How people make pencils"?

I kind of liked those inside looks at what goes on in the manufacturing of somewhat mundane products (though he did saxophones once.) I would always be impressed by the respect shown by Fred to the factory workers as he commented on their functions, and at the same time amused by the bizarreness of his saying "see how carefully she inserts those red erasers."
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

emmline wrote:Does anyone else who had small children (or used to be one) remember watching the Mister Rogers segments which had names like "How people make pencils"?

I kind of liked those inside looks at what goes on in the manufacturing of somewhat mundane products (though he did saxophones once.) I would always be impressed by the respect shown by Fred to the factory workers as he commented on their functions, and at the same time amused by the bizarreness of his saying "see how carefully she inserts those red erasers."
better than saying 'rubbers' no? I mean, it was a childrens' show.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

amar wrote:I mean, it was a childrens' show.
Which raises the question as to why they'd show how bagpipes are made. Someone has a pretty twisted sense of the adage, "think of the children", if you ask me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

emmline wrote:see how carefully she inserts those red erasers
It didn't help Eraserhead! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Oh, lookee lookee here! You can find out about wagons, plates, construction paper and fortune cookies! Mr. McFeeley narrates, and Mr. Rogers makes comments like, "that machine sure works fast!"

http://pbskids.org/rogers/R_house/picpic.htm
djm

Post by djm »

Is he still alive? Didn't he die of AIDS or something. I know his buddy in Canada, Mr. Dressup, passed not too long ago.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

djm wrote:Is he still alive? Didn't he die of AIDS or something. I know his buddy in Canada, Mr. Dressup, passed not too long ago.

djm
Rogers died of cancer.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

My wife and I along with a friend who was doing some voiceover work at the CBC, got to get inside the Mr. Dressup tickle trunk. It was just sitting on one of the sound stage side areas. We were quite tickled, I can tell you.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Paul Reid wrote:My wife and I along with a friend who was doing some voiceover work at the CBC, got to get inside the Mr. Dressup tickle trunk. It was just sitting on one of the sound stage side areas. We were quite tickled, I can tell you.
Mr. Dressup tickle trunk? OMG :lol: :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

It's a classic!

PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

emmline wrote:Oh, lookee lookee here! You can find out about wagons, plates, construction paper and fortune cookies! Mr. McFeeley narrates, and Mr. Rogers makes comments like, "that machine sure works fast!"

http://pbskids.org/rogers/R_house/picpic.htm
I just want to see the Mr. Rogers episode where he talks to Otha Turner.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."