Charanga - Cuban music - 5 key wood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

I just found this web site that had some information on the 5 key wooden flute used in Cuban Charanga music.

http://home.earthlink.net/~charanga/

Does anybody listen to this music at all? The sound clips I've heard are very nice.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Yeah, it's great music...it's got a great rhythm but is more refined and elegant sounding than son or most salsa, partially due to the use of strings rather than horns.
Check out http://www.descarga.com for recordings (of charanga and tons of other Afro-Cuban and Latin music) as well as interesting related articles.
best,
Micah
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

Well, i just came across this site myself. Was going to post a new topic, but lo-and-behold, it has already been mentioned. Wow, i really like the charanga flute style of playing. Here is an interesting interview with Richard Egües, a flute player for the famous Cuban charanga Orquesta Aragón:
http://www.lafi.org/magazine/interviews/egues.html

Has some interesting comments about the role of the wood flute in the development of the charanga flute playing style.

(i couldn't help lifting the pic of Johnny Pacheco for my own pic here at chiff; it is so cheezey!)
Brendan
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Interesting interview.

Don't most charanga flute players play small-holed French (or French-style) flutes? (i.e. Noe Freres, etc.)
glauber

Post by glauber »

Supposedly they move the cork closer to the blowhole to make it easier to play on the 3rd octave (and runining the 1st octave).

One of my favourite flute players everywhere is a Charanga player , but he plays metal flute:
http://www.maraca.cult.cu/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SVFJ

Indredible player, well worth a listen. ¡Desde la isla!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

feadog39 wrote:

(i couldn't help lifting the pic of Johnny Pacheco for my own pic here at chiff; it is so cheezey!)
Ooooohhh!
And I thought that was really you :D

Mary
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
feadog39 wrote:

Ooooohhh!
And I thought that was really you :D

Mary
cough, hack! :boggle:
Brendan
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:Interesting interview.

Don't most charanga flute players play small-holed French (or French-style) flutes? (i.e. Noe Freres, etc.)
Yes, i'm gathering that that is the case from what i've read (see this link in particular: http://home.earthlink.net/~charanga/five.htm ). Wasn't aware that they changed the cork position, but it makes sense: i couldn't for the life of me figure how they were hitting those high, squeeky notes. I wonder if any of those charanga lads have ever busted out any licks on the likes of a olwell, murray, wilkes etc?

on another note: i am personally interested in the subtle link between irish music and charanga-style syncopation (which i sometimes detect in, say, larry nugent's playing...)
Brendan
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

from the charanga link above wrote: The two most popular type of wood used for these [French] flutes are red wood and Ebony. The Boehm flute has its brilliance in the lower register while the wooden "French" flute has its brilliance in the upper registry. Attempts were made to add keys to cover the whole on the wooden flute however they would crack.
i don't know, seems like they ought to try out an olwell, or a boehm-style abell wood flute....
Brendan
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The silver Boehm flute is commonly used in charanga now.
Micah
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Did they favor these French flutes because of their smaller holes? Would English style flutes would be too loud in the third octave? Or were the French flutes just what was at hand in Cuba? I play for Irish music on one of these French style flutes, and it's loud enough for the job if you ask me, not to mention easy to play.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Did they favor these French flutes because of their smaller holes? Would English style flutes would be too loud in the third octave? Or were the French flutes just what was at hand in Cuba? I play for Irish music on one of these French style flutes, and it's loud enough for the job if you ask me, not to mention easy to play.
I'm glad you changed your avatar; your old one gave me the kreepz.

Anyway, jo non soy cubano, but i'd be willing to bet that they used that kind of flute because that's what was available in the area at the time when the style developed. Playing on the third octave, any kind of flute will be loud enough anyway, and with a handful of French colonies in the area, there should be flutes from millitary bands, if nothing else, available.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

that is my intuition too, glauber. as we all know, wood flutes have that special somthin' that cannot be captured on the silver boehm. don't see why this would be any different with charagna style flute playing. seems a shame that the silver boehm has taken over (what should we call it?) the traditional flute playing of cuba.
Brendan
PapoAnaya

Post by PapoAnaya »

Mark_J wrote:I just found this web site that had some information on the 5 key wooden flute used in Cuban Charanga music.

http://home.earthlink.net/~charanga/

Does anybody listen to this music at all? The sound clips I've heard are very nice.
I did... growing up in Puerto Rico, for some "odd reason" :-D. However it was popular back in the '70s that it is today though. I did not know that there was a Cuban Charanga flute, most of the time was playing with regular boehm.

I guess that my crazy idea of playing "guantanamera" on an Irish flute was not that crazy after all. :).

Luis