How many tunes do you know?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I keep a list, but it only contains "odd" tunes that aren't in my various tunebooks and collections. These are the ones that I like to play, but are unlikely to come up otherwise. (Popular songs, oldtime fiddle tunes, classical and jazz snippets, etc.....).

I also keep a short list of 1-6 tunes I'm currently working on, but once I have them down pretty well, they drop off the list.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

I think Ron White best sums up my feelings of inadequacy regarding the number of tunes I know, specifically at a session:

"I don't know how many [tunes] it would have taken to kick my @$$, but I know how many they were gonna use."

River Otter
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

River Otter wrote:I think Ron White best sums up my feelings of inadequacy regarding the number of tunes I know, specifically at a session:

"I don't know how many [tunes] it would have taken to kick my @$$, but I know how many they were gonna use."

River Otter
:lol: :lol:

And no matter how many you know... the one they pick will be one you don't!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

I would have to say that, after nearly a year of practicing as much as I can (30 second stoplights, making pancakes on Sunday, campouts with the Scouts, anytime I have a free moment, etc.), I know exactly zero tunes, after I compare myself to "the masters" :)

I can, however, finger out a tune that is recognizable by most, if that person has heard the tune beforehand. Also, forget any sort of ornamentation on all but the most practiced tunes.

On top of everything else, my most practiced tune - "Bridget O'Malley" - does not seem to be known by anyone, so there is little chance that any of you would think I was playing a tune if you heard me! :lol:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I have about 200 or so, I'd guess. I won't consider myself to know "a lot" of tunes before I break 1,000. Not that I am counting, or anything.
/Bloomfield
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

How many tunes do I know?? All of them.
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

I know that I know more now than I think I know, ya know? :P
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Lots of tunes, maybe a couple of hundred,
but not enough and seldom the ones the
other musicians at the session are playing!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'm probably around 100, most of which I can play just fine in a group, but by myself they are of 'variable' quality.

I can't even imagine knowing 1,000; 500 is the least I feel I'd need to know to be worth a damn.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
feardearg

Notebook

Post by feardearg »

I am approaching 300 tunes. I don't know how I would do it if I didn't keep a running list. I am able to go thru the list just about every week to keep fresh. I work pretty hard on the tunes and would hate to have them slip away just because I forgot that I knew them!
Gary
www.SessioNite.com
Redford, MI
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Wow, this is quite the Lazarus of threads...and I still think Peter's answer one of the best posts ever written on this topic.

The actual number of tunes is much more interesting when you're starting out (or if you're a tad compulsive in behavior). I had a list that was given to me when I started playing in a slow session. Now that all the tunes are checked off as "known", all I can say for sure is I know at least the 72 common session tunes on that list (common in my area at least), but I no longer have any clue how many I really know - although compared to Peter and others I really know very few tunes. I've picked up more tunes since that list through dots, session tapes, CDs, and quite a few tunes I've learned through osmosis at session (nearly all of which have no name as far as I know)...all are in various stages of growth or decomposition depending upon how often they're played at session.

All that really matters is that no matter how many tunes you know there are always more to learn. That's part of what makes ITM so fun.

Eric
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Jayhawk wrote:... All that really matters is that no matter how many tunes you know there are always more to learn. That's part of what makes ITM so fun. ...
That's the truth!
anniemcu
---
---
---
vintagekits

Post by vintagekits »

its hard to say - sometimes if someone say do you know "such and such" a tune and then I say no - but then they start and it comes to me
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

vintagekits wrote:its hard to say - sometimes if someone say do you know "such and such" a tune and then I say no - but then they start and it comes to me
To quote somebody, "Sometimes I know more than I think I know... you know?"
anniemcu
---
---
---
walrii

Post by walrii »

"I only know half of them half as well as I should like and I like less than half of them more than half as much as they deserve." Or something like that.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.