Dear Guest

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Why do you visit Chiff and Fipple so often, yet never register?

I'm either too shy or afraid someone might recognize me
19%
This is one of the best places to find rare comments on just about any subject -- my search engine led me here -- I'm actually interested in astronomy
No votes
I'm getting to know some of my long time friends better
5%
I'm a professional musician or instrument maker and visit here to see what people are saying about me or my instruments
No votes
I belong to the FBI and am tracking certain information being posted on this internet
19%
I'm studying internet interaction for a school (or professional) project and find the exchanges on this forum fascinating
No votes
I use to belong, but got tired of C&F and never updated my profile after moving on
No votes
I don't communicate in English very well
5%
None of the above
33%
None of your business
19%

Total votes: 21

Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dear Guest

Post by Lorenzo »

People are registering here every day, but often I see there are more of you here online than regular members. Won't you let us know a little bit about yourselves anyway? I realize you can't post unless you register (click here to learn how).

I think there are over five or six thousand members, but only a handful actually use this forum. PLEASE NOTE: members that seldom or never post may also participate in this poll.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Two missing options:

I'm banned
I left in a huff
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Are we also talking about the sort of thing where you sometimes see a post (usually an old one any more), and the username is "Guest", and in black?

That's a kinder, gentler way of saying "account deleted".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'm not seeing many low post count contributers to this thread.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Some message boards are somewhat hierarchical and discourage new membership, and those that do join are frequently belittled or ignored because they're "just newbies."

I have not found this board to be like that. Some may be scared off from experiences on other message boards though.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Lucas
Location: where the beer is good and plenty (that be Belgium)

Post by Lucas »

Denny wrote:I'm not seeing many low post count contributers to this thread.
Here's one! But of course I'm a registered member. I had to register because one day I could no longer see the posts in the Politics and Religion Forum unlees I registered. I never participate in the discussions though. The reason is very simple: the discussions are very US centered and I have very little to add. I do find the way most US citizens look at the world very interesting. Above all it strikes me that the image ( of US citizens) I get from this board does not in any way correspond with the image I get from international press (and that's mostly European press). If this board was representative for the US, Mr. Bush could as well come from Mars !

Being a flutemaker myself, I am also a regular visitor of the Flute Forum. I like to read the comments but again have very little to add, even when it concerns me or my work. I only make baroque flutes and I have clearly different ideas about tone, intonation and articulation than most of you. But that's fine by me. It takes all kinds to make a world , doesn't it?

Luc
Digiti animaque non satis
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I don't communicate in English very well
If they don't, they aren't likely to get that far. :lol:

My consciousness has been raised about this issue, as I completed my required federal employee's training in "Limited English Proficiency" just yesterday, and this question was raised by a large number of astute federal employees, all of whom immediately noticed that it would be difficult to offer translation services if they didn't understand what you were saying when you offered them. :-?

Lucas wrote:[. . . the discussions are very US centered and I have very little to add. I do find the way most US citizens look at the world very interesting. Above all it strikes me that the image ( of US citizens) I get from this board does not in any way correspond with the image I get from international press (and that's mostly European press). If this board was representative for the US, Mr. Bush could as well come from Mars !
Well, he does come from Texas. :wink:

We've noticed the same thing, though. Most of us have been pleasantly surprised to find that Europeans are not at all as they are portrayed in the international press.
Being a flutemaker myself, I am also a regular visitor of the Flute Forum. I like to read the comments but again have very little to add, even when it concerns me or my work. I only make baroque flutes and I have clearly different ideas about tone, intonation and articulation than most of you. But that's fine by me. It takes all kinds to make a world , doesn't it? Luc
Oh, I wouldn't think that! Lots of people here have baroque flutes and play . . . well . . . hmm . . . whatever it is you play on them.

(Perhaps you should post more often!)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, I wouldn't think that! Lots of people here have baroque flutes and play . . . well . . . hmm . . . whatever it is you play on them.
Well just as long as it isn't baroque. :-? :lol:

Talk about your stereotypical unimaginative...
Tull darling...they play Jetrho Tull! :wink:
or was that Bodine?

Nice post Luc!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Denny wrote:

or was that Bodine?
You aren't calling ME stereotypical and unimaginative . . . are you? :sniffle:

It's not my fault no one would give me music lessons because I have four left . . . hooves . . . :cry:
Lucas
Location: where the beer is good and plenty (that be Belgium)

Post by Lucas »

Lambchop wrote: Oh, I wouldn't think that! Lots of people here have baroque flutes and play . . . well . . . hmm . . . whatever it is you play on them.
Well,I've got an 'Irish' flute ( a DeKeyser, cost me about 100 euros, F and Bb key) which I can make to sound like a baroque flute. Horrible thing to play Bach on. On the other hand, O'Carolan on a baroque flute sounds quite 'natural'. Maybe the fact that Turlough (1670- 1738) and Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) lived in the same age has something to do with that ?
Digiti animaque non satis
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Lucas wrote:I only make baroque flutes and I have clearly different ideas about tone, intonation and articulation than most of you.
The lessons for fife that I have taken were from a baroque teacher (he offered lessons with much hesitation). He seemed more enthusiastic about the fife sound than I was.

"Louder! Play like a fifer!"

I wish I had never loaned him those fife CDs.
Great guy, and he helped me with my playing in many ways, dispite the fact that he played a baroque flute.

To clarify, I think that baroque players have much information that we can learn from.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I.D.10-t wrote:

"Louder! Play like a fifer!"
You're sure he wasn't Yiddish?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
Denny wrote:

or was that Bodine?
You aren't calling ME stereotypical and unimaginative . . . are you? :sniffle:

It's not my fault no one would give me music lessons because I have four left . . . hooves . . . :cry:
If you HAD suggested playing baroque music on a baroque flute.
:D
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Lucas wrote: On the other hand, O'Carolan on a baroque flute sounds quite 'natural'. Maybe the fact that Turlough (1670- 1738) and Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) lived in the same age has something to do with that ?
Really? It does? I like O'Carolan especially well. Bach, too.

Baroque flute, you say? Well, I wonder where one might find one of those . . . :-?
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Lambchop wrote:Baroque flute, you say? Well, I wonder where one might find one of those . . . :-?
Well, I just met this lovely person who happens to make them! How about that for coincidence?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up