Is it hard to find a teacher for the Irish flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is it hard to find a teacher for the Irish flute?

Post by jmiller »

I would like to learn how to play the Irish flute but am wondering if it's hard to find a teacher. I have been playing the whistle for awhile (nothing too hard) but I have no musical training beyond what I have learned from books and tapes. I don't think I could handle a flute without an instructor. Where should I look to try to find one?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Depends. Do a lot of people in your area play Irish music? I know I'm the only person for many miles who even knows what a simple-system flute is.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

[quote= I know I'm the only person for many miles who even knows what a simple-system flute is.[/quote]

I almost find that hard to believe if you live in Charleston, SC. I would think there would be a decent re-enactment community there. I got a major part of my traditional music influence by participating in re-enactments.

To comment on the original post: You should search the "teachers wanted/students accepted" forum here on our beloved C&F. Good luck!
Congratulations

Flogging Jason wrote:
Congratulations wrote:I know I'm the only person for many miles who even knows what a simple-system flute is.
I almost find that hard to believe if you live in Charleston, SC. I would think there would be a decent re-enactment community there. I got a major part of my traditional music influence by participating in re-enactments.
Well, there might be some people who know what a simple-system flute is (though I doubt it), but they definitely don't play Irish music on it. There is a small handful of old time and bluegrass musicians in the area who play Irish tunes on the side, all play fiddle or guitar--and they hardly qualify, regardless.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm in a similar bind. The good news is that you don't need
lots of lessons, however helpful lots might be.

You need something to get started and to check in
now and again--maybe every six months, even longer.
There are workshops at festivals--these can help.
Most of one's time is spent in the wood shed.

I travel elsewhere every now and again to get a lesson.
So if you can't find a local teacher, there
are options.

The Grew Larsen book is a good substitute; maybe others
know of more. Also this board can be a real help.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

If you have never played flute before, then the first hurdle is to simply be able to get a sound out of it.
That's a few months practice right there, probably.

After that, you can go slow, lots of free learning stuff online, or instruction books with CD's if you are into that.

The best advice of all, would be start a great collection of CD's and listen to them exclusively for a few years.

Good place to start: Wooden Flute Obsession 1, 2 and 3.

M
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jmiller,

If you mention the area or city you live in, some here might be able to recommend a good local teacher.

If you live within a couple of hours travelling distance of any sessions, asking for teacher recommendations there can be a good way to find someone.

Teacher lists, like those mentioned here on C&F, and those that exist on other sites can be a good resource as well, however it's important to realize that while there may be a number of good instructors on these lists, there are also good intentioned folks listed who really haven't learned to play the music well themselves yet, or perhaps they play well, but don't have much background and skill in teaching, which is quite important.

Certainly one can learn to play the instrument fairly well on one's own. However if you really want to learn to play Irish Traditional Music well (assuming you haven't grown up with it), then having a teacher on a regular basis is most helpful. Personally, I found it impossible to make real progress learning/playing ITM music without the aid of a really good teacher, although I struggled along attempting to do so for several years. Finding a good teacher made all the difference in the world for me, and the regular feedback and correction is essential, IME and O.

OTH, I may just be unusually slow :lol:

Loren
Congratulations

Loren wrote:jmiller,

If you mention the area or city you live in, some here might be able to recommend a good local teacher.

If you live within a couple of hours travelling distance of any sessions, asking for teacher recommendations there can be a good way to find someone.

Teacher lists, like those mentioned here on C&F, and those that exist on other sites can be a good resource as well, however it's important to realize that while there may be a number of good instructors on these lists, there are also good intentioned folks listed who really haven't learned to play the music well themselves yet, or perhaps they play well, but don't have much background and skill in teaching, which is quite important.

Certainly one can learn to play the instrument fairly well on one's own. However if you really want to learn to play Irish Traditional Music well (assuming you haven't grown up with it), then having a teacher on a regular basis is most helpful. Personally, I found it impossible to make real progress learning/playing ITM music without the aid of a really good teacher, although I struggled along attempting to do so for several years. Finding a good teacher made all the difference in the world for me, and the regular feedback and correction is essential, IME and O.

OTH, I may just be unusually slow :lol:

Loren
I've found this to be true in every type of music. If I had the opportunity, I would have weekly lessons.
Whistlin'Dixie wrote:The best advice of all, would be start a great collection of CD's and listen to them exclusively for a few years.
I've also found this to be true in every type of music, but it is especially so for traditional music.
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

I'm pretty fortunate as I live in an area where I have my choice of several good teachers.

This is based on my experience so far (1 year into it):

I recommend first learning to get decent notes in at least the first octave, then go see a teacher on a regular basis for a couple of months (if you can afford it!) I was doing once a week, then cut back to every other week, and now I just do sporadic lessons as schedule allows.

Actually, the most valuable lesson I took was a two night intensive lesson from a fantastic teacher and player near Miltown Malbay. He focused almost exclusively on tone. The two lessons added up to over 4 hours, and I felt like I was going to fall out of my chair at the end. I walked away with a very good understanding of what to do, and my girlfriend even noted how much better I sounded afterwards! So even a couple of lessons can make a difference.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Il Friscaletto wrote:I recommend first learning to get decent notes in at least the first octave, then go see a teacher on a regular basis for a couple of months (if you can afford it!) I was doing once a week, then cut back to every other week, and now I just do sporadic lessons as schedule allows.
I personally think that an instructor can be very helpful in reducing frustration caused by trying to get the first notes. A regular flute teacher should help you with your flute embouchure (or at least that was my experience) and some of the other aspects of playing, but they may also cause different (perhaps undesirable) habits as well.

This is the Students/teacher’s forum try looking up your city either by browsing or using the search function.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

I.D.10-t wrote: I personally think that an instructor can be very helpful in reducing frustration caused by trying to get the first notes.
You may be right, there. My thought on this (at the time) was not to spend money on this earliest of learning, and maybe get more out of the first lessons having already got the first octave to some degree (giving the teacher more to work with)...
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I.D.10-t wrote: A regular flute teacher should help you with your flute embouchure (or at least that was my experience) and some of the other aspects of playing, but they may also cause different (perhaps undesirable) habits as well.
You lost me on the last part there, in what ways do you feel a good instructor may cause undesirable habits?

Loren
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Loren wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote: A regular flute teacher should help you with your flute embouchure (or at least that was my experience) and some of the other aspects of playing, but they may also cause different (perhaps undesirable) habits as well.
You lost me on the last part there, in what ways do you feel a good instructor may cause undesirable habits?

Loren
I was thinking in terms of the differences in ITM playing and what an instructor of a Boehm may teach. Perhaps tonguing (sp?) differences.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ah, I see.

Yes, I think if one wants to learn/play ITM, then it's important to find a who specializes in ITM to guide them.

Loren
jmiller

Post by jmiller »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am in the Phoenix area and did find a link for whistle lessons (which I could also use) on the teachers/students board.