price of

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tia

price of

Post by Tia »

Hello all
I was wondering what the cheepest price you can get a low whistle for, because I really want to learn how to play it, I blame that on this site :P , and being in university, and wanting a new clairnet, I dont have that much money. Thanks! :)
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Tia

Post by Tia »

wait, is the irish flute more or less expensive then the low whistle, and they're similar right?
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Check http://www.tinwhistles.us/jubilee.htm for a good price on low whistles.
Reasonable person
Walden
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tia wrote:wait, is the irish flute more or less expensive then the low whistle, and they're similar right?
Flutes are generally far more expensive than low whistles. Flutes are
conical and often made of wood using more difficult techniques. The
cheapest D flute that I know of that is playable is the Tipple plastic
PVC flute, which is around $70. Wooden flutes start at $300 and go
well into the thousands. But, like Walden said, you can get a PVC low
D whistle for $25, and most of the really good Low D whistles top out
at $500.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

All true. And yes, they're similar. But also quite different! You'll want to browse recent threads to learn more about how people feel about this.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=44529
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Tia

Post by Tia »

thanks! :)
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Black Mage »

I believe that a Dixon polymer, one piece, low D is about $70.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
arnie

price

Post by arnie »

look at ebay, there are low whistles for E20,-. Don't know what you get for it though.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: price

Post by IDAwHOa »

arnie wrote:look at ebay, there are low whistles for E20,-. Don't know what you get for it though.
You normally get a Pakistani, cheap, out of tune (usually), poorly made whistle.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
arnie

orice of

Post by arnie »

true, but cheap. Susato also makes relatively cheap whistles, and they are getting more and more good comments.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

You can get a chrome-moly alto "A" from Bill Wheldon (serpent music) for under $100 and these are very fine, generally recommended instruments.

For me, the plastic whistle is not an option - it sounds too much like a recorder to me (a thousand pardon to plastic whistle fans everywhere!).
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

shadeclan wrote:You can get a chrome-moly alto "A" from Bill Wheldon (serpent music) for under $100 and these are very fine, generally recommended instruments.
I have not seen Bill's whistles recommended by a serious whiste player whose opinion I respect, nor "generally." I am sure I am not in a good position to judge Bill's whistles and I don't know what people say on other message boards; but I think it's seriously misleading to call them generally recommended
/Bloomfield
scheky

Post by scheky »

If you are looking for something cost effective, try a Doug Tipple flute. For about 80 bucks, you can get a PVC made flute that sounds great, has all the bells and whistles you could want, is indestructable, and you won't grow out of for a very long time.
Tia

Post by Tia »

thanks for all the advice, now i just need to go find a music store that sells them, because i've never seen low whistle, but then again i hadnt seen any high whistles untill i started playing those
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Bloomfield wrote:
shadeclan wrote:You can get a chrome-moly alto "A" from Bill Wheldon (serpent music) for under $100 and these are very fine, generally recommended instruments.
I have not seen Bill's whistles recommended by a serious whiste player whose opinion I respect, nor "generally." I am sure I am not in a good position to judge Bill's whistles and I don't know what people say on other message boards; but I think it's seriously misleading to call them generally recommended
Master Bloomfield,

My humble apologies in speaking for you, or for any of you who find yourself in the enviable position of being respected by Mr. Bloomfield. :)

To clarify, I have heard some people say good things about this whistle. dfernandez77 in particular likes the whistle. BrewerPaul seems to like his soprano "D", which I have also played. I liked the sound, so I chose to purchase one and I believe that I will receive it sometime this week. Wanderer also posted a review about a Serpent whistle, although it was not one of Bill's chrome moly ones. Bill Wheldon's "Serpents" have been mentioned in quite a few threads and while there have been negative comments, none of them seemed detrimental.

Although I am not (by any stretch of the imagination) proficient in the whistle, I will probably let you know what I think of it when it arrives and I have had a chance to play it. I might also be willing to let some of you more knowledgable and proficient folks have a crack at it as long as I can get it back right away. I could certainly have no problem with running it over to BrewerPaul and let him take a look at it - I think you'll agree that his opinion would carry considerably more weight than mine. :)
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler