Using little finger (pinky) on keyless ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andrew_w
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Using little finger (pinky) on keyless ?

Post by andrew_w »

I've just started playing the keyless flute a couple of week ago after spending many years playing the recorder. I've been teaching myself but did have one lesson with a teacher of the irish flute just to make sure I had the embouchure right.

She thought I was doing really well, but noticed that I was using my little finger (pinky) to close the last hole instead of the usual 3rd finger which in my case sits idly on top of the flute.

I adopted this style simply because I found it very difficult to reach the bottom hole with my third finger without contorting my hand into a very uncomfortable position which hinders the fluidity of my finger movement. The flute is a Tony Dixon plastic pipe - I don't know whether this has an unusually large gap between the 5th and 6th holes.

Should I continue with this style or should I look to correct it as soon as possible ? Is it likely to lead to problems later on ? One thought that occured to me is that one day I'd probably like to play the baroque flute and so would need the little finger for the key.
flutefry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

If you can manage the stretch, I'd use your third finger if you can. As you say, you need the pinky if you ever play with a flute that has an E flat key like a baroque flute. There's a lot of discussion on this forum about hole spacing, stretch, ergonomic positioning of holes (either taking them out of line to make them easier to reach, or drilling the holes at an angle so they can be closer together or both) that you can find using the search function. As a recorder player, I'd say that if you can play a tenor, you can play a flute.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Use your third finger. You'll get used to this new stretch in few days.

or

Look other flutes. Both options will be worth in the long run.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
AaronMalcomb

Re: Using little finger (pinky) on keyless ?

Post by AaronMalcomb »

andrew_w wrote:The flute is a Tony Dixon plastic pipe - I don't know whether this has an unusually large gap between the 5th and 6th holes.
It's normal for a low whistle or a cylindrical flute. A conical flute, like a baroque flute, will have a much more manageable stretch and the bottom hole will be significantly smaller.

If your fingers are kept straight they will spread further and by using you finger pads instead of tips you will have better hole coverage.
SteveB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

The hole spacing on cylindical flutes is typically much wider than on proper conical flutes, particularily on the gap between holes 5 & 6 . I can’t say for sure because I’ve never played/seen one, but I assume the same goes for the cylindrical Tony Dixon PVC flute. You’d likely find a conical flute a more comfortable stretch.

I agree that its probably a good idea to make the switch to the standard fingering. The pinky is useful for a keyed flute down the road, and also can be used to help balance/stabilize the flute. Then again, if after giving the standard fingering the old college try, you still find using the pinky works better, then stick with that. IMHO, the proof will be in the quality of your playing and nothing else.

cheers,

SteveB
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

As mentioned above, a cylindrical flute is likely to have
a largish finger stretch, especially at the bottom.

If it were me I would be sure to switch to a standard
position. This is likely to play a role over the long haul in how well you
play the flute. If you can't do that on the Dixon, a conical
flute is in order, IMO.

Unless you have very small hands, the Casey Burns
folk flute has good finger spacing and you can sell it
if you outgrow it or if flute turns out not to be
for you.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Keys in the way: Eb or a short F Nat... :D
jim stone wrote:Unless you have very small hands, the Casey Burns
folk flute has good finger spacing and you can sell it
if you outgrow it or if flute turns out not to be
for you.
Casey offers a small handed version of the Folk Flute
The Folk Flute features the same accoustical design as the Casey Burns Standard 3-piece flute, voiced and tuned with the same degree of care and attention. Available in Mopane only, Ergonomic Standard or Small-Handed versions.
candis bowen

Post by candis bowen »

Sometimes you just can't make the stretch. I have arthritic fingers due to lupus so if I made that stretch on a regular basis, I would be in such pain I wouldn't be able to play at all. I use my pinky, but then again I'm not playing professionally. If, however, you don't have a physical problem then you really should try to do it.

Candi
Horses, flutes & books – what's life without 'em?
andrew_w

Post by andrew_w »

Thanks for all of your helpful replies. It looks like just the justification I need to buy a new flute then. I had noticed that the intonation was a bit off in the 2nd register anyway !

Andrew
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, you can be penny wise and pound foolish in this
business. If you don't really care much about learning to play
flute, then maybe it doesn't matter. But if you do care,
you might as well give yourself a fighting chance--because
it's one of the harder things there is to do.

Candis, have you checked out Casey Burns's small hands
flutes? They really are extraordinarily good for people
with limited reach.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I've had to use my pinky for the last hole on a huge bamboo B flute I made a few years ago, but you shouldn't have to on a D flute. Or even a normal B or Bb. It's just because my bamboo had a very big bore, the holes ended up at least half an inch across, and very far apart. The lowest hole is like, three and a half inches from the next one up. :boggle:
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

andrew_w wrote:Thanks for all of your helpful replies. It looks like just the justification I need to buy a new flute then. I had noticed that the intonation was a bit off in the 2nd register anyway !

Andrew
Never a bad idea. Find a flute that inspires you, then play the crap out of it.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

andrew_w wrote:It looks like just the justification I need to buy a new flute then.
If you do want to play Baroque flute, Clive Catterall's flutes have are well spoken of. He's in the UK but don't know where in relation to Derbyshire.
andrew_w wrote:I had noticed that the intonation was a bit off in the 2nd register anyway!
Intonation on most cylindrical flutes usually takes different blowing in the 2nd octave. Cylindrical flutes are a more consistent and it's just a matter of pointing the airstream to reach the second and third octaves.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, Clive C makes yummy looking flutes.
We had, a long time ago, a very positive
review of his 'Ordinary' flute.

He has one for ITM too, which I would love to hear
more about. Lovely use of boxwood.