Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.....help sought

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lizzie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lizzie »

I am learning to play this, but so far not much joy!

Anyone have tips on breathing for this...it seems anywhere I try to take a breath, it interferes with the flow...and this piece should flow, n'est pas?
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

If you haven't already, listen to Mick Woodruff's quintet arrangement of it.
http://fingertrip.net/clipsnip/jesujoy-mick.mp3
It might give you a better idea of where to take breaths, and it's well worth a listen even if only for inspiration.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Breath at the beginning of each
line, I say.
mgwhitehead

Post by mgwhitehead »

I ordered sheet music of this written for C tenor recorder. Although it's in G, there's a whole middle section with accidentals requiring far too much in the way of half-holing. Can somebody point me to a website that has the notation modified for whistle? Thanks.

Whitey
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I've played this (not well) and just stopped when all those accidentals crop up.

But I played it jig style. You'll notice it's written like a jig and I just make it lilt like a jig, and breath as I would on any jig, shortening some notes as I see fit. I don't go for that smooth flow thing. Also, if you compare this piece with the Irish Washerwoman you'll find the two morph together very nicely. I call the result "The Irish Catholic Washerwoman".
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

On 2002-09-24 13:27, E = Fb wrote:
I call the result "The Irish Catholic Washerwoman".
Since J.S. Bach was Lutheran, maybe it should be called "The Irish Lutheran Washerwoman." :smile:
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

On 2002-09-24 13:20, mgwhitehead wrote:
Although it's in G, there's a whole middle section with accidentals requiring far too much in the way of half-holing.
Whitey
Actually, if you start on a whistle in any key and play the first note as the third note up on the scale (eg. D whistle = start on the F#; G whistle start on B, etc.), then the entire song plays with no half-holing required.

Jef
mgwhitehead

Post by mgwhitehead »

[/quote]
Actually, if you start on a whistle in any key and play the first note as the third note up on the scale . . .
Jef
[/quote]
Way cool. Thanks for the tip Jef. :grin:

Whitey
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

If you all enjoy this sort of thing, you might want to check out "Pachelbell's Frolics" on either John Whynne's "Every Breath" (flute) or John William's "Steam" (concertina/accordion). It is a reel version of Pachelbel's Canon and is very cool.
Best,
Chris
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

On 2002-09-24 17:45, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
If you all enjoy this sort of thing, you might want to check out "Pachelbell's Frolics" on either John Whynne's "Every Breath" (flute) or John William's "Steam" (concertina/accordion). It is a reel version of Pachelbel's Canon and is very cool.
Best,
Chris
Eileen Ivers does a fiddle version of this, too.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The problem of breathing during Jesu is one I remember encountering way back when I was in the high school band playing clarinet. Our band director told us this piece was not written with the melody line intended for wind instruments, therefore there really is NO place for breathing. He had me and another clarinet alternate our breathing spots to keep the music flowing smoothly. As a solo tune on a wind instrument ...now that's a problem.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2002-09-24 22:06, BrassBlower wrote:
On 2002-09-24 17:45, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
If you all enjoy this sort of thing, you might want to check out "Pachelbell's Frolics" on either John Whynne's "Every Breath" (flute) or John William's "Steam" (concertina/accordion).
Eileen Ivers does a fiddle version of this, too.
Yup and so does Martin Hayes on his Live in Seattle CD. I think he does it at the end of a very long long set (something like more than half an hour).