Scotch Single Malt Whisky!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Amar's shelf has to be considered very respectable for any malt whisky collector. I'm very envious.
Fact is that I don't even own a bottle of whisky right now since I finished the superb Highland Park 25 y.o. Oh yeah, came to think of it, I do own a bottle of Grants that someone gave me, but that's it.
Luckily I'm currently renting a room from a friend who's also a whisky lover. He has some good stuff at home. Nothing really fancy. A 10 y.o. Ardbeg, a 12 y.o. Macallan, 15 y.o. Glen Garioch, and Laphroaig double-wood.
But Amar, do promise to share your impressions of all those extraordinary bottlings at that site, in English please. Whisky's like that are too good to not write anything about, and when you do you might as well share it.

Cheers
stefano

Post by stefano »

Ardbeg 17 y.o.

This is my favourite one. If you like the Islay's whisky you should try it.
Then, among the more affordable ones:

Lagavulin
Talisker
Laphroaig

The Laphroaig is really strange: or you hate it or you love it!:)
I think it has one of the most 'salty' taste among Scotch whiskies.
The legend tells that it was one of the most famous whisky during Prohibitionism, because they could safely import it without problem.....
as a medicine for dentists!:D

I tried both the 10 and 15 y.o. but I prefer the younger, because it has a more pungent taste, while the older is more smooth and in my opinion it looses the peculiar character of Laphroig.

I also got a bottle of 25 y.o Macallan (1974) but I am not a fan of Macallan...

There was a period of my life in which I waste a lot of money in whisky...
It was before I started to buy whistles!!!!:D
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

dubhlinn wrote:
The Weekenders wrote: it's right smart stuff....
Eh by gum..

or something like that.

Jeez Weeks, you're starting to sound like Shaw now. I'll be charitable here and put it down to osmosis.

I am an aficionado of all things alcoholic except for very jammy wines with insufficient tannin and acid ("Ribena" we calls 'em in our house), all those insipid American pale beers that you have to chill to absolute zero before they're even remotely drinkable, and anything that has sugar or sweeteners added, including the sugar in mixers, with the exception of gin and tonic which must be made with Plymouth Gin and Schweppes Indian Tonic (and not that "Slimline" abomination).

I can't afford very old or cask-strength malts because I drink malt whisky too fast (I can't be doing with that undue reverence thing), so I stick to the ordinary 10- or 12-year-olds. I go for the heavier, peatier styles in general but I also like the Glenmorangie wood finishes, especially Portwood and Sherrywood. A bottle of The Glenlivet wouldn't seem to fit the bill but I enjoy it for a change every now and again. Nicely fragrant and a bit floral for when I'm in one of my more whimsical moods. But the top dogs for me are Talisker, Highland Park, The Macallan and Laphroaig, in that order. I do like 'em all though.

As for Weekenders' notion of adding water. What a travesty to pollute such pure heaven with that. I can't think what's the matter with the man. Bloody wimp! :twisted:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

When I drinks whiskey, I drinks whiskey. And when I drinks wahter, I drinks wahter.

djm
Last edited by djm on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

SteveShaw wrote:As for Weekenders' notion of adding water. What a travesty to pollute such pure heaven with that. I can't think what's the matter with the man. Bloody wimp! :twisted:
To each his own. Many drink water with their water of life. Reasons were already given above. Once again, your bigotry and intolerance (and in this case, ignorance of common practice) shine through. Note that I am not criticizing those who drink it straight tho' I generally find that they are usually novice Scotch whisky enthusiasts with a misplaced macho pose, and afraid they are missing something if not drunk raw. Trust your taste buds and you will find a great variety of experiences to be had with very fresh water and whisky. Save your macho for something that matters, like defending your country or beating up neighboring soccer club fans.

Ya know, Shaw, you never miss a chance to cast an insult my way, including the name-calling, including passive-agressive "good humor". As for pale American beer, well, once again, you are ignorant of the totality. From Anchor Steam to any number of craft beers and ales across the country, there are a lot of very good beers here. Too bad your micro-tolerance mind can't comprehend the possibility.

You really need an armchair and a club to puff your hot air and chauvinism, but I don't think any of the old-fashioned Brit ones would let you in.

One think we do have in common, though, is the inability to keep the stuff long enough to have a collection. And I like the brands you mentioned as well.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Henke

Post by Henke »

The Weekenders: I would appreciate if you stop polluting this thread with accusations and an overly defensive attitude that really don't belong here. I like my whisky thread and I'd hate if it turned into a flame war because of you.
If you've got a problem, take it outside or just shut up. No one said anything that I think can be qualified as insulting to you or anyone else.

I agree that whisky is better drunk with a few drops of clean water, but man... take it easy.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

The Weekenders wrote:So Amar, do you actually drink it or just look at it??

Wouldn't last that long around mi casa. Heck, it's not even around long enough for me to spell it right.... :lol:
Weeks, both. :)
Come over here, Shaw too, we'll enjoy. :)

Freedom and whisky gang thegither!
Last edited by amar on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Jeez -- and I get a lot of grief for using the word "trailer."

The over/under on this thread getting moved is 6:00 p.m. today.

And it's 6/5 for it getting locked, but those are ante-post odds that could well change once Steve gets back.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Henke wrote:The Weekenders: I would appreciate if you stop polluting this thread with accusations and an overly defensive attitude that really don't belong here. I like my whisky thread and I'd hate if it turned into a flame war because of you.
If you've got a problem, take it outside or just shut up. No one said anything that I think can be qualified as insulting to you or anyone else.

I agree that whisky is better drunk with a few drops of clean water, but man... take it easy.
Henke:

Being called a "bloody wimp" is not funny in what should be a friendly topic. I didn't bring name-calling to the table. Because you don't inhabit the rubber room, you don't realize the chronic issue at hand. Sorry for your misunderstanding.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Can't you just let it slip then, for once? Or sort it out in private?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Henke wrote:Can't you just let it slip then, for once? Or sort it out in private?

I suppose. Visiting here is supposed to be pleasant, and Shaw pissin' on my cornflakes was an unpleasant surprise this a.m.. Yes, I could have handled it differently. Sorry again..
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

While this thread is still open, here's a nice little novel in which Scotch whiskey plays an integral part -- The Slow Air of Ewan Macpherson.

It's a quiet little story set in the fictional town of Glasgow, Kansas, about a man, Rob Macpherson, who moves there from Scotland and tries to make Scotch. (Actually, it's mostly about his son, Ewan, but the dad is the best character in the book.) The descriptions of the whiskeys are marvelous, especially Old Pulteney.

There's a preview chapter; check it out. You will enjoy it -- if you truly love Scotch whiskey
Last edited by gonzo914 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
amar

Post by amar »

amar

Post by amar »

am I dreaming?? this is a must-have!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACALLAN-18-YO-750M ... dZViewItem
Last edited by amar on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I was drinking Highland Park out of a cousin's hip flask at a family wedding on Saturday. Seemed pretty nice for the odd warming tipple when you're standing outside in a kilt on a typical scottish october night. One of these days I'll nip round to the off licence and buy a bottle of something to learn to drink with.

And on the water / no water topic I've always been told by people in the know (my Grandad and my Dad) that room temperature water is perfectly acceptable to put in your dram. Anything else is just plain wrong though (my Dad will actively refuse people to have anything fizzy or flavoured in whisky while they're under his roof).