Eric the Flutemaker/Bamboo whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Eric the Flutemaker/Bamboo whistles

Post by WyoBadger »

Has anybody played whistles by this gent?

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/Pennywhistles.htm

He's got a couple sound clips, but of course any whistle can sound good on a ten second clip with reverb backed up by several string instruments.

While we're at it, is there a reason no one seems to be making whistles out of bamboo tubes? Just curious.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

I asked Mr. Wanderer about them a while ago but he said the second octave is pretty weak. The bamboo tube is pretty cool, but he loses a little street cred with me on account of the Susato mouthpiece.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i agree the susato fipple takes something away but the blues whistle and a minor flute are quite fun
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

He could not answer some basic questions I had about his whistles, like was the d whistle above or below middle C on a piano.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Guidus

Re: Eric the Flutemaker/Bamboo whistles

Post by Guidus »

WyoBadger wrote: While we're at it, is there a reason no one seems to be making whistles out of bamboo tubes? Just curious.
Tom
Bamboo looks cool and smells nice when burned, but it's not an easy material to make whistles with. It's fibrous and it tends to split too easily. My experience, at least.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

In fairness, I haven't played one of Erik's whistles in a few years.

But it's basically a susato mouthpiece (unless he's changed vendors) on a bamboo tube.

I do have a fully-bamboo whistle here that I got from an import store. I think it came from India. The tuning leaves a lot ot be desired.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I've had good experiences with his bamboo flutes (standard flute in F and a Poet's Flute). So as far as tuning, I'd trust it. Don't know about the fipple, though.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I bought a G Major flute from him. Perfectly tuned, and very nice for the small price. I can't get too excited about a Susato head on a bamboo whistle barrel, though. I just don't see the point, personally.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
markbell

Post by markbell »

I have one of his flutes - mezzo G, and I like it quite a bit. I'm still working on improving my embochure, but the sound of the bamboo flute (and it's tonality) are pretty good to my tin ears.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I had a bamboo D whistle of his, but it's been about 5 years...

I remember it being a pretty loud whistle and having similar characteristics to a Susato (due to the mouthpiece), but with a mellower 2nd octave. It smelled nice. I remember liking it, but don't know what I'd think of one now...I hadn't played many higher end whistles at that point, just Susatos, Generations, etc...

-Brett
Stormowl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Stormowl »

Actually, it's THIS man who's all to blame for my current WHOA!!!

I saw his flutes at a local fair a couple of years ago, and decided to buy one to try. I was already playing NAF then, so figured it would be a good next step.

I can't seem to get a consisten embrouchre for the flute, so never got too decent at it. I WILL say that he had some great customer service tho...my flute cracked about two weeks after I'd bought it (we had a VERY rainy season for fair that year) and he promptly replaced it no questions asked when I emailed him about it.

But while I never got decent on his flutes, it got me started on whistles...and I'm sitting here right now waiting on my Viper Low D to arrive! :D

Not sure how good his whistles are...but he does a good job tuning his flutes from the little I've seen.
Don't give me no chiff, and you won't get no chiff back! :)
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Thanks!

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.