what makes a "honker"?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

what makes a "honker"?

Post by Flogging Jason »

I'm a whistle player by trade but fascinated by wooden flutes. I've listened to alot of music and I've read a few posts and people talk about flutes that really "honk". I love the sound of wooden flutes with sounds ranging from rich and woody to light and airy. But, my favorite flute sound is that thick honk especially in the low octaves. I've read that certain makers are known for this sound( though I can't remember which) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what it is in a particular flute that gives it that sound?
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: what makes a "honker"?

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Flogging Jason wrote:.... I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what it is in a particular flute that gives it that sound?
The player
:poke:

M
Last edited by Whistlin'Dixie on Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

sure...answer the easy questions :lol:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dave Copley writes (I closely paraphrase) that the Pratten design has
long been a favorite for ITM because it can be played
to produce a loud and powerful tone, and is solid in the
low register with a strong low D. You can check his site.

Not that one can't honk on other flutes, but flutes
described as 'honkers' tend to be Prattenesque.

Patrick Olwell and hammy hamilton are two well respected
makers of Pratten style flutes. Part of what makes
for the powerful tone and strong low D is a larger
bore. Also these flutes tend to have large finger holes,
which helps make for volume.
Last edited by jim stone on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

So they are too well respected Jim? Yeah Prattens tend to be thought of as honkers. I would describe my Casey Burns Pratten as a real honker.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Beware: Relative Newbie Observations

Any well-made flute for irish music will honk if played right; they just go at it from different routes.

My Pratten style is just plain big. Big bore, big toneholes, big finger stretches, big hand-cramps if you're not used to it, and a big hooty airy tone if you're not good at it. Think of it as a NASCAR road-course car: big, loose, powerful in excess, and useless in the wrong hands. Capable of great things, though, in the right hands.

My smaller holed flute is like a small Formula car: less displacement, less brute force, but capable of the same results, same tunes, same ornaments, same volume, very similar tones.

I actually find the 'honk' part easier on the small-holed. It's more a tone and timbre thing than a volume thing, anyway.

Listen to Grey Larson (small holed Hall) and Matt Molloy (big Pratten) and hear the difference or lack thereof in the 'honk' department. Then understand that Molloy would very likely sound like Molloy were he to pick up Larson's 'little' flute.

PS: The car analogies are kind of a tradition 'round here, eh?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Unseen122 wrote:So they are too well respected Jim? Yeah Prattens tend to be thought of as honkers. I would describe my Casey Burns Pratten as a real honker.
Oh, gee! Thanks for catching that.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Chiffed wrote:
Listen to Grey Larson (small holed Hall) and Matt Molloy (big Pratten) and hear the difference or lack thereof in the 'honk' department. Then understand that Molloy would very likely sound like Molloy were he to pick up Larson's 'little' flute.
Very good point, remember that recording that Gary Kelly made with the same player one tune and a bunch of different Flutes?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

i was going to say the "Honkey". :D
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Jon C. wrote:i was going to say the "Honkey". :D
Some flutes are hokey....
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Unseen122 wrote:
Chiffed wrote:
Very good point, remember that recording that Gary Kelly made with the same player one tune and a bunch of different Flutes?
most all were Prattens
Denny

Post by Denny »

Chiffed wrote:
Jon C. wrote:i was going to say the "Honkey". :D
Some flutes are hokey....
it's still the player, eh?
m31

Post by m31 »

Flogging Jason wrote:I'm a whistle player by trade but fascinated by wooden flutes. I've listened to alot of music and I've read a few posts and people talk about flutes that really "honk". I love the sound of wooden flutes with sounds ranging from rich and woody to light and airy. But, my favorite flute sound is that thick honk especially in the low octaves. I've read that certain makers are known for this sound( though I can't remember which) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what it is in a particular flute that gives it that sound?
What everybody else said but I'd also add the sound/mixing engineer.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

m31 wrote:
Flogging Jason wrote:I'm a whistle player by trade but fascinated by wooden flutes. I've listened to alot of music and I've read a few posts and people talk about flutes that really "honk". I love the sound of wooden flutes with sounds ranging from rich and woody to light and airy. But, my favorite flute sound is that thick honk especially in the low octaves. I've read that certain makers are known for this sound( though I can't remember which) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what it is in a particular flute that gives it that sound?
I recommend Honk4.3 it's a great plug in it also has the MegaD™ bottom end booster. If you've never had your bottom end boosted then this is one for you! :boggle: :boggle:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

treeshark wrote:
m31 wrote:
I recommend Honk4.3 it's a great plug in it also has the MegaD™ bottom end booster. If you've never had your bottom end boosted then this is one for you! :boggle: :boggle:
I had my bottom end boosted once. I was sort of hoping they wouldn't bring it back as I had plenty extra.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.