Breathy Burkes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amblingambrosia
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Breathy Burkes?

Post by amblingambrosia »

Ok, I've been listening to a lot of recordings of Burke high d's recently, and I can't figure out what the deal is. In some recordings there is basically no "breathiness" in the tone, and in some recordings there is tons of it. It seems to not be very dependent on whether it's a brass or aluminum or session or narrow bore. So can someone tell me, is a Burke's tone breathy or not? How much does it change depending on bore size? Is it under the control of the player?
peeplj

Re: Breathy Burkes?

Post by peeplj »

amblingambrosia wrote:Ok, I've been listening to a lot of recordings of Burke high d's recently, and I can't figure out what the deal is. In some recordings there is basically no "breathiness" in the tone, and in some recordings there is tons of it. It seems to not be very dependent on whether it's a brass or aluminum or session or narrow bore. So can someone tell me, is a Burke's tone breathy or not? How much does it change depending on bore size? Is it under the control of the player?
In general, you get more volume, as well as a bit more breathiness and chiff, as you move to a larger bore.

My wide bore brass doesn't have what I'd call a "breathy" tone but it's more so than my other Burkes.

That said, it's actually the last of your questions that's the most important: is it under the control of the player?

Absolutely. The whistle only has your air for about an inch before it hits the blade. You have it for more than a foot--plenty of time for you to do lots of things with it, using abdomenal muscles, mouth, throat, facial muscles, and lips.

Burkes have a reputation for being very easy to play...but they don't play their best with the "put in a quarter and it plays itself" approach. To make any whistle sound its best, you need some air control and embouchure technique.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

The placement of the microphone during recording will change the perceived breathiness of the whistle. The mic's frequency response will also have an effect.

The whistle will even sound different to you as a player and as a listener. There's no substitute for sitting and listening to someone play a whistle.

As for your questions:
Burkes are toward the low end of breathiness in my experience.

I don't recall bore size on my Burkes (sold all but one) making much of a difference on breathiness - anyone else?

Unless it is a huge contributor to the voice characteristics I don't really notice breathiness that much, so I never tried to control it - maybe someone else has.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

After reading the post, I was going to reply. No need to. Daniel has covered it.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
whistlin'fool

Post by whistlin'fool »

I have a burke session D in aluminum (black tipped) and I think that there is almost no breathiness to this whistle. But if the whistle is being overblown then yes there is breathiness to it, but it's also out of tune and overall just doesn't sound good. My burke plays pretty effortlessly (spelling?) and with a little bit of breath control can sound absolutely amazing, and I'm one of those people that don't like breathy whistles (except for a couple :) ). Hope this helps some.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Some players could have asked Michael to make them differently.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

All of my Burkes (6, 5 brass and 1 aluminum) all fall towards the bottom end of any "breathiness" scale. I do not however have any of the composites; were you perhaps listening to those; although, from what I hear those could be reedier and not breathier.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Keep in mind, before he changed his design, the earlier Burkes were a lot more Breathy and complex in tone. I have a WBB from 2000. It has a good bit of breathiness. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I think it's great for Airs and if I need to, I can make the tone get a lot more pure.

To be honest, I've never decided if I like that sound better or the sound of his new whistles.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I have a pre-black tip brass Burke D, and it has a little bit of that chiffy quality to it. I also purchased a black tip aluminum one, to have as one to pass on to a student (who ended up buying it). The brass one has just a mite more chiff, and to my ear, a better sound. It's capable of a little more range of expression than the newer one.

I assumed that because they were Burkes, they'd sound or feel around the same. From now on I'm checking them before I buy another!

Jennie
Elvellon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Elvellon »

To resurrect an old topics...
My new Burke is breathy and somewhat shriller with my usual lack of embouchure. When I purse my lips together or do some other things, the sound becomes very 'round' and less shrill. I guess it's the expected 'normal' Burke sound, but the question is, what's a normal way to do it? Opening the throat, pursing the lips, doing something else with that invisible throat appratus? :)
My real name's Roman
Denny

Post by Denny »

there ya go! if yer gonna raise the dead then warn people!!

ah, kinda depends on what sound you want at that moment for that tune, eh!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I would think that even the early Burkes would still have a far more clean/pure tone than an Overton for example. If you want the breathy/complex/musty tone I would think you might want to check out an Overton (or Overton style) rather than a Burke.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

pancelticpiper wrote:I would think that even the early Burkes would still have a far more clean/pure tone than an Overton for example. If you want the breathy/complex/musty tone I would think you might want to check out an Overton (or Overton style) rather than a Burke.
Exactly. Or any whistle which has a straight wind way and blade, rather than curved. If the window is relatively long (bigger distance from end of wind way to blade) it may also feel breathier to play.

Another thing is that breathiness/white noise increases if you push the tone (play with more force). Some whistles will be purer when playing with less force, but lets you add tone colour by pushing the tone. So it depends a lot also on how you play, and what notes.