Suggestion for a second C whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lost-in-North-Dakota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Suggestion for a second C whistle?

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

Hi everyone. I am often a lurker, seldom a poster.

I play a Meg-C tinwhistle. I am pretty bad (the cat heads for the basement when I start to play), but I think I might be improving. Why a C and not a D? I don't know. I guess that is what the music store had.

The Meg is pretty forgiving to a hack like me (going between octaves when desired is pretty easy), but I'm guessing that I'll eventually want a "better" whistle (the sound in the upper octave is overly breathy and not as pretty as the lower octave). You can just TELL when you are in the upper octave...but hey, I'm not complaining, this is the best $5 I've ever spent, music-wise.

So, any die-hard C-whistle players out there? What should I get for a second whistle?

Thanks,

Lost
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

My Generation C is superb.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lost-in-North-Dakota

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

Congratulations wrote:My Generation C is superb.

Nickel or brass?

Thanks.
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

I've never had great luck with Generations, but I have a brass Gen C that sounds pretty good. I also have a Susato C that I really like the sound of. I've tried Clarkes and Shaws in C but haven't really found one yet that agreed with me.

Really depends on the sound you want, but I've been very happy with my Susato C.

Walt
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote:
Congratulations wrote:My Generation C is superb.

Nickel or brass?

Thanks.
Oh, mine is brass.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

I can, without reservation, recommend a SYN C to you. You can find them at Gaelic Crossings. If you think that you might also want a D, they have the D/C combo for only $12 more.

Erle Bartlett's SYN in the key of C is nice.

I also have Susato and Black Diamond whistles in C, but I reach for the SYN, then the BD and lastly the Susato.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

If you would like to kick it up a notch or three, may I suggest a Hoover, or a used Water Weasel, or a Burke Brass or Aluminum Pro...
Enjoy your music.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

A have a very nice Sindt C, if you don't mind the wait it is most defiantly worth it. If you don't want to wait I recommend the Burke Brass C as my Burke Brass Bb is a great Whistle.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

If you would like to kick it up a notch or three, may I suggest a Hoover, or a used Water Weasel, or a Burke Brass or Aluminum Pro...
Enjoy your music.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

There are lots of good C's, but I hear the Meg's not one of them. I second the opinions on the Syn and the Black Diamond. Both sound better (to me) than the corresponding D's, and they're the two I practice with the most. The Syn is the better deal, especially since you can buy a set.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

I've always heard that Syn C's are amazing. And really cheap too.

I like all my Generations except for the C. I hate that thing.
BEC

Post by BEC »

I second (fourth?) the recommendation of the Syn C. It's the nicest of the set, and they're all good - better than the price, even with the new distribution through the dealers - would suggest.
Last edited by BEC on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

I really like the Black Diamond C, much better than the corresponding D. Second would be the new Burke NB Alluminum C.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I purchased a GFM C in the spring and it has become a favorite. Although it's the only C Ive tried, it still to me a wonderful whistle.
Someday I'd like to find the quiet store with all the whistles I so often hear about, and try each one. :o
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

My favorite C whistle at the moment is a Waltons brass C. I think I paid $6.50 for it. It is a nice whistle and the price is right. I was able to play a number of them to pick from.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.