low whistle and irish flute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

low whistle and irish flute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

i asked the same question on the flute forum, but i whant to see if in this one it will come out something different :)

so, i'm not an expert in flutes and i'd like to learn the difference between them... what are the differences between irish flute and low whistle? why usually people say that irish flute it's better?
low whistles are cheaper, why should i spend so much more money for an irish flute?

Othannen
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

It's just my personal opinion, but the flute and the low D whistle have completely different sounds. I've tried several low Ds and a couple of D flutes. The fingering is easier (for me) on a flute, and it's also the sound I prefer. But it took playing both to find that out -- and I'll still keep both.

It really depends on what you are looking for. No matter what everyone else's opinion is, you are the judge of what's right for you.

Enjoy hunting for the right answer to your question. :)

Judy
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i like the sound of a flute better than a whistle about 3/4's of the time. i find playing the low whistle easier than playing the flute when i'm laying down on the couch. i prefer to play the flute around children. then when they ask to play, they can't make a sound. if you give a child a whistle, they can make all kinds of noise and run around and won't give it back.

you should ask this question in the pub or in the politics room. but don't tell them you asked it in other rooms.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

If you can not perceive a difference
then the less expensive
is the way to go.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Flutes sound better, but only when a really good player is using it. If everyone sounded like Kevin Crawford, low whistles probably wouldn't exist.

But whistle is my first love so I have to stick with low whistles.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think it's probably a bit silly to suggest low whistleplayers are all failed fluteplayers. Both are separate instruments with different characters and purposes.
regor

Post by regor »

I think that learning to play the flute well, takes considerably more time and practice than learning to play the Low Whistle, hence why I am focussing much more on the low whistle for now, althouth I do like the sound of the flute very much.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I didn't respond on the flute board. I'm both a whistler and a fluter (like most fluters).
I think the main thing is that the flute is so much more versatile. It lends itself so much more to so many more expressions and nuances. A good fluter can do lots more with a flute than any whistler can with a whistle. A whistle is easier to learn to play (to a certain point, because any instrument is difficult to master). But a flute will be so much more rewarding in the end. That also requires a hell of a lot of practice on your part.
I'm not saying that there's no place for low whistle. I play them myself occationally. They are different instruments, but the flute is capable of so much more.
Listen to some good flute cd's of the masters of this instrument. I recomend Matt Molloy, Kevin Crawford and Seamus Egan (though you will have to look for the flute tracks on his cd's). The purists will say Seamus Tansey, Paddy Carty, Josie McDermott and others.
Probably the best is to buy the WFO cd's. They have the best of the best right there and all different styles.

Have a look
http://www.worldtrad.org
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Peter Laban wrote:I think it's probably a bit silly to suggest low whistleplayers are all failed fluteplayers. Both are separate instruments with different characters and purposes.
Could you elaborate on the "different purposes" aspect of your statement?

Thanks
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

regor wrote:I think that learning to play the flute well, takes considerably more time and practice than learning to play the Low Whistle, hence why I am focussing much more on the low whistle for now, althouth I do like the sound of the flute very much.
Yes, complementary, but quite different. I'd say low whistle is easier to get started with since there's no embouchure to contend with, so you might want to start with that for a nice low sounding instrument. In time, it's likely you may want to try flute too and by then you'll be used to the larger finger spread.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wormdiet wrote:

Thanks
In my mind they belong to different sorts of music altogether but seriously, if you look at the practical reason why whistleplayers generally take up the flute you'll find it's volume. Volume to play for dancers, volume to play with others. I can't see the low whistle serve that purpose, I can't see a low whistleplayer play for a set for example.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

thank everybody, the answers were very usefull :)
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Peter Laban wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:

Thanks
In my mind they belong to different sorts of music altogether but seriously, if you look at the practical reason why whistleplayers generally take up the flute you'll find it's volume. Volume to play for dancers, volume to play with others. I can't see the low whistle serve that purpose, I can't see a low whistleplayer play for a set for example.
Hrrrmm. . . fair response. I was frankly curious as to whether you think certain tune-types or musical styles fall better on a low whistle and not a flute, but yeah, flute's volume definitely makes a difference.

Something of a cliche in "seltic" music is the low whistle for airs.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I didn't want to go too controversial but I did say:
In my mind they belong to different sorts of music altogether
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Henke, I am going to disagree with you.

I have a recording of the tune "Molly McGuire" in which a flute and a whistle take a solo and then play together. I find the whistle much more emotionally touching than the flute during the performance.

I think whistlers, being more "earthy", bring nuances to playing that the more "sophisticated" flute player has lost somehow.

Also, see the "Whistle Philosophy" section of Bro Steve's Tin Whistle site for another take on this.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler