I am SO tickled! (for newer whistlers)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lizzie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lizzie »

This is not meant to be bragging, but as encouragement to other new whistlers.

When I started playing 12 months ago, I could manage to pick out a few simple tunes that I knew well...eg Amazing Grace, Auld Lang Syne.

But I could not really do much more by ear. "Your ear will improve" people said...I didn't really believe it...I thought your ear was what you were born with..either you had it or you didn't. Well, I was wrong!

Some time ago I put a copy of a song the Chieftains do called 'Long Journey Home' into my Slowdowner to try and learn it...I didn't get very far.

Well, tonight I came back to it...and I did it easily in about half an hour including the time to notate it. Now I can play along with the Chieftains.

I HAVE improved..and I am tickled. So hang in there all you newbies...it does come!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Congrats Lizzie! It's fun isn't it?

At a session last night we were waiting for the juke box to die down in the pub before we started, and "If I had a Million Dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies came on. I had never tried to play it but was able to pick out the melody. One of the other musicians there was impressed! hehe I don't think he believed me when I told him I hadn't played it before.

A tip for folks who want to pick out tunes by ear - repetition, repetition, repetition. Play a cd or mp3 50 times if you have to. Once the tune is solidly in your head the transistion to hands is much easier.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Well done, Lizzie! Isn't it such a kick when you realize that you did something that you thought was beyond your abilities?

I just got the slowdowner, and learned a new mazurka in two reps! (okay...it WAS at 150% speed!) I think with it's incremental speed I'll be able to work with the tune and gradually pick up to full speed. I'm so encouraged by this program!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Playing by ear is actually done in the brain. People who can play by ear can sit in a quiet room and hear a song in their head and imagine the fingering that goes along with it. Some can also listen to a song being played and instantly tell you what the chords are. They need not listen to the song 50 times over. They know it as it unfolds, during the first listening. Playing by ear is truly a gift. Having the patience to sit and practice is yet another gift.

JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnPalmer on 2002-09-23 23:36 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Well, I can't do that, but I still play by ear. :smile: (If you think I can't, ask Mack, Paul or Brian!) There are just different levels of intensity, like anything else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-09-23 23:52 ]</font>
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I personally think that ear is developed with time. I guess you need some natural abilities, but it becomes easier and easier to learn a tune by ear the more you go. When I started playin' I remember that I had to use the "slow down" software for many tunes, but now by brain can pick up the different notes of a tune at whatever speed it's played. It's as if the more you go, the more you can distinguish the notes from each others, and your ear just becomes more sentitive and sharp.

I think a good exercice is to try to play along with tunes you don't really know, and only play the notes you're sure of, especially if you're in a session! You can actually end up learning a tune you never really practiced, if you add up 2-3 notes each time you hear it, well after 20 times you're gonna be able to play it!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Lizzie, that is so cool! I remember feeling like I won the lottery when I finally reached that point. And it just gets easier as you go. Keep up the good work!
mnavarre

Post by mnavarre »

just to add a data point:
The more you play along by ear the better you get, however, a lot has to do with what your'e listening *to*. As a "furinstance" I've played bass guitar for about 16 years. I can easely pick up the bass line for most songs by ear. On the other hand picking up guitar parts more complicated than the chord progression is rather hard for me. I personally think this is because I've trained my ear to listen to the bass and basicallly ignore the guitar melody.

I've also noticed some songs where I know the vocal melody by heart I have a hard time getting the whistle melody. as an example I've known "By The Dawning Of The Moon" since I was about 4 years old. Trying to play the whistle part in a tutorial I have(even though I have the sheet music) is damn near impossible for me. It's subtly different from the vocal, and that's just plain ingrained in my head.

What I'm trying to say is:
alot of playing by ear is training yourself to listen to the part of the music you are intrested in, and tuning out the other parts. Oh, and a good sense of relative pitch is essential.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-09-23 21:46, avanutria wrote:
"If I had a Million Dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies came on.
That's one of my favourite all time tunes! "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a green dress, but not a real green dress, that's cruel!"

Genius!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

"Well done, Lizzie! Isn't it such a kick when you realize that you did something that you thought was beyond your abilities?"

Absolutely!!!!! I was beaming all evening.

Thanks all for the encouragement. Azalin, I am trying that bit where I play with the music, just a few notes at a time. A good exercise and fun too.

And yes, Slowdowner is amazing!

And maybe I can't 'play by ear' in the sense John mentioned. But, I can find a tune I like, put it in Slowdowner and learn it...if I can do that, it is good enough for me!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

well, I haven't been able to play my whistle since I moved into this stupid dormitory (under threat of gettting stabbed in the head with my whistles if I don't shuddap) but since I started playing about a year ago, I have noticed I'm a much better singer in church on sunday morning. Not that I'm a good singer, but at least I can sing semi-on-key now.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TelegramSam on 2002-09-24 10:07 ]</font>
Sara

Post by Sara »

<marquee>WOOT!!!!!</marquee>

Congratulations, Lizzie!!!!!
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Congratz, Lizzie, :smile: WOW! after I read about the amazing slowdowner in your post I searched the forum for threads and found the link to http://www.ronimusic.com and got the sample software. That is really nice. I always wondered if there was something like that out there. I'm ordering the full version today.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Paul, I am glad you found it and like it. It is helping me a great deal. You can specify segments and replay them again and again so easliy. I need this again and again bit. BG
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

The only problem with learning tunes by ear is cloning the version to which one is listening, rather than developing one's own style.