A question for Olwell bamboo flute owners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fluteress

A question for Olwell bamboo flute owners

Post by fluteress »

Hi, all,

I just recently acquired an Olwell bamboo flute and am curious, did Patrick Olwell not put his makers' mark on them at one time? This one doesn't have 'Olwell' on it, & since I'm planning to sell it soon, I'm curious as to why this is.

It's quite possible I've just missed his marking on this bamboo flute (it's a low D, by the way).... or is it?

Thanks!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Mine does not have a mark.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Never seen one with a mark.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

All of the ones I have ever seen (and that's a lot) have the Olwell mark. It is faint, but it is there, impressed in the bamboo.
~JessieD
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've had two Olwell bamboo flutes (an A and a D), and both had OLWELL in all caps, but it was VERY lightly impressed and you had to look at it from an angle to see it.

-Brett
fluteress

Post by fluteress »

Hmm.. so I guess he didn't mark them at one time... :)

Thanks all for the replies so far! :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Mine's marked OLWELL, though like Jessie said it's quite faint -- try looking at it in side light.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Every one I've ever seen was stamped "OLWELL", and very lightly, as others have mentioned. The light stamping would be necessary to avoid cracking the flute, bamboo being less strong than wood.

Loren
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Even on his "real" flutes (blackwood, cocus, boxwood, etc) Patrick's mark is quite understated and subtle, easy to miss. The truly great ones do not need to overly blow their own horns. (Unlike some other makers, who I won't name, who have rather ostentatious maker's marks on their much lesser flutes.) So my guess is that if any of his bamboo flutes have a mark, they all do - except maybe for his very early ones. Certainly if he ever was putting his mark on the bamboo flutes, he wouldn't be stopping now, because the bamboos are greatly increasing in value and thus more likely to attract copycat makers attempting to cash in on the value of his work. (That's why he possibly may not have marked them early on, since they weren't so widely recognized back then for being as good as they are.) So if the mark is not visible on one of his flutes, most likely it has worn off.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

johnkerr wrote:Even on his "real" flutes (blackwood, cocus, boxwood, etc) Patrick's mark is quite understated and subtle, easy to miss.
Same stamp, much deeper impression.
The truly great ones do not need to overly blow their own horns. (Unlike some other makers, who I won't name, who have rather ostentatious maker's marks on their much lesser flutes.)

Wow, taking makers to task for their choice of maker's mark.........

Loren
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Patrick's use of his stamp seems somewhat whimsical and arbitary. The keyless blackwood flute I got from him in 1998 didn't have a stamp anywhere, but the keyed sections I got in 2000 each have the stamp. My boxwood flute only has the stamp on the headjoint. My E bamboo flute, purchased in 1997, doesn't have the stamp, but my F, purchased in 1999, does. Shrug? As John says, the stamp is kind of redundant since you can pretty much tell one of his flutes by picking it up and playing it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Ro3b wrote:As John says, the stamp is kind of redundant since you can pretty much tell one of his flutes by picking it up and playing it.
:D D'uh :D
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have an Olwell G and it has no mark. I know it is Olwell because I bought from the Olwell's booth at the MD Ren Fair. This is the only one I have seen other than the ones I selected this one from.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ro3b wrote: As John says, the stamp is kind of redundant since you can pretty much tell one of his flutes by picking it up and playing it.
<GASP> You mean, you have to PLAY one to know???? Jeez. I thought you Easterners were more sophisticated than that. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Ro3b wrote: As John says, the stamp is kind of redundant since you can pretty much tell one of his flutes by picking it up and playing it.
<GASP> You mean, you have to PLAY one to know???? Jeez. I thought you Easterners were more sophisticated than that. ;-)
Well, up here we're virtually surrounded by them. Which means that when you see one, you're gonna pick it it up and play it - because you know if you don't, someone else will. And then the next thing you know, they're taking it home with them. Which sucks if it's your flute they're taking...