musical leaf

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

musical leaf

Post by Jack »

On NPR this morning was a bit about this:
The article wrote:I heard a strange noise that sounded like a cross between a violin and a harmonica. When I followed the intriguing sound to its source, there sat a one-armed man playing a leaf of English ivy. People hurried past as if this were one more urban annoyance, but I was captivated. Here was a man making music with a leaf, and not just the semblance of melody -- he had intonation, vibrato, dynamics and emotion. He was a leaf maestro.
You can read more and hear a tune played here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... yId=895341

He has one arm, and plays a leaf.

And he's good! :boggle:
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Very cool! Anyone know how to actually do this? I can't figure it out from the pictures.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Carlos gets by on $25 to $30 in tips, plus the $60 a month he receives from the government. On this tiny sum, he has raised four daughters and built a two-story, cinder-block house -- painted bright green, and planted in front with Easter lilies -- on the outskirts of the city.
We sure like to complicate our lives in the part of the world where I live.
emmline

Post by emmline »

brewerpaul wrote:Very cool! Anyone know how to actually do this? I can't figure it out from the pictures.
I think the leaf is used like a reed, similar to the way I can blow one shrill note on a blade of grass, but much better.
missy

Post by missy »

Dave Para (great musician with his wife, Cathy Barton) plays the leaf. Since he can't always find the "perfect" leaf, he has a piece of green plastic that is used for down-spouts that he cut into a leaf shape and keeps in his pocket at all times.

It's like playing a blade of grass - he holds it between his thumbs.

He usually plays "Colonel Boggie's March" on it - and Cathy just looks at him and cracks up. Especially at his facial expressions at the high parts.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

That is just amazing. I'm just off to pick a leaf to have a go.

By the way, I have several hundred thousand English ivy leaves in my garden and I'm putting them up on eBay if anyone wants one. Warning: they won't be cheap. Especially the variegated ones, which command a premium due to the increased street cred you'll acquire by being seen with one.

Ivy leaves are somewhat poisonous by the way. Blow 'em but don't chew 'em! :boggle:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

SteveShaw wrote:By the way, I have several hundred thousand English ivy leaves in my garden and I'm putting them up on eBay if anyone wants one. Warning: they won't be cheap. Especially the variegated ones, which command a premium due to the increased street cred you'll acquire by being seen with one.
I assume that there will be a sound clip to display the playability.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I.D.10-t wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:By the way, I have several hundred thousand English ivy leaves in my garden and I'm putting them up on eBay if anyone wants one. Warning: they won't be cheap. Especially the variegated ones, which command a premium due to the increased street cred you'll acquire by being seen with one.
I assume that there will be a sound clip to display the playability.
Naturally, and a very expensive tutor book with CD and specially-tuned leaf to follow. And, when I've taken all your money, a one-way flight to an undisclosed South American destination. Watch this space! :D

avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

SteveShaw wrote:Blow 'em but don't chew 'em! :boggle:
That advice could apply to harmonicas too.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

SteveShaw wrote:
By the way, I have several hundred thousand English ivy leaves in my garden and I'm putting them up on eBay if anyone wants one. Warning: they won't be cheap. Especially the variegated ones, which command a premium due to the increased street cred you'll acquire by being seen with one.
I'm only interested in the ones with the visage of Jesus, Mary or some long forgotten Saint (Like Christopher or Elvis) glowing brightly upon their fuzzy features.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
I'm only interested in the ones with the visage of Jesus, Mary or some long forgotten Saint (Like Christopher or Elvis) glowing brightly upon their fuzzy features.
How dare you insult religion! Elvis will never be forgotten!

:lol:

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

SteveShaw wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
How dare you insult religion! Elvis will never be forgotten!

:lol:
elvis who? :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

That's incredible.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm

Post by djm »

Steve Shaw wrote:Ivy leaves are somewhat poisonous by the way. Blow 'em but don't chew 'em!
But ... but ... don't littlelambseativy? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've been able to get a range of about three full steps with a wide blade of grass or a narrow leaf using two hands. Like Missy described it's between the thumbs.

I've tried googling for more info on the one handed technique with no success.

That's real cool. Thanks Cranberry.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm