Chieftains and Mike Burke

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

I got my copy of Down the Old Plank Road, the new CD by the Chieftains. Of course, everyone who is known in country music is on it, but there, about 1/3 down the "thanks" column reads the following; "Whistles in the key of B, Bb and A supplied by Michael Burke".

I have a Burke B natural that I'll put up against Mr. Moloney's any day. I have not been able to put it away for going on one year now.

And Mike, I know you read this site, and so my most sincere congrats to you and your efforts. I hope you become SWAMPED with orders.

Bob
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

Got my copy of it too. With the exception of Allison Krauss doing Molly Ban this is pretty much a bluegrass album.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-09-23 11:27, Ron Rowe wrote:
Got my copy of it too. With the exception of Allison Krauss doing Molly Ban this is pretty much a bluegrass album.
That should have been obvious from the list of "special guests." Ooops, I guess you'd have to know bluegrass, wouldn't you :wink: Still... Earl Scruggs should have been the tipoff...

Anyway, I think that is what has kept the Chieftans going all these years. They aren't "just another Irish band." On almost every album and concert appearance they bring in at least one artist from another genre.

Finally, maybe I'm peculiar but I don't see how you can love Irish trad and not love bluegrass, or vice versa. The two genres are remarkably close -- almost certainly because so many "mountain people" came from the British Isles and brought the music with them.

John
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

When I saw Earl and Allison Krauss I expected Bluegrass, I just expected more of a mix, chieftains doing some bluegrass, bluegrass folks doing some trad, but it seems Allison Krauss doing Molly Ban is the only one.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Yesterday I was at an amateur "session" (at the Celtic Store in Dallas). There were only 4 of us, and 2 were playing bodhran! One guy was a banjo player. He's new to the irish stuff, and only knows bluegrass style. I played a few jigs and he read the chords from the sheet music and picked along. His style was all bluegrass. It was funny, but it worked.
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

This thread was not meant to be a Chieftains album review, but rather and hopefully to call even more attention to the skills of Mike Burke.

I deliberately did not comment on the new album for just that reason.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-09-23 13:52, Whistleworks wrote:
This thread was not meant to be a Chieftains album review, but rather and hopefully to call even more attention to the skills of Mike Burke.

I deliberately did not comment on the new album for just that reason.
Sorry about that dude, threads drift, man! :smile:

As for Mike Burke, I think most people here are pretty well aware of his skills. I've got five of his whistles myself. That said, I wouldn't consider mention on an album cover (okay, a CD insert, I guess we know how old I am now, don't we) reason to buy a whistle any more than I would consider that (insert favorite celebrity) wears red is a reason for me to change my wardrobe!

John
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I don't know about that. Ever since I saw Andrea Corr in all black that's all I wear. It has a very slimming effect on my middle-aged hips
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!! :smile:

and, almost forgot: I never cause threads to drift, ever. And Walden is just a lurker...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-09-23 16:01 ]</font>
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-09-23 15:49, Ron Rowe wrote:
I don't know about that. Ever since I saw Andrea Corr in all black that's all I wear. It has a very slimming effect on my middle-aged hips
ROFL! I'll never look at Andrea the same again!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-23 16:00, The Weekenders wrote:
I never cause threads to drift, ever. And Walden is just a lurker...
What is it Dazed used to call you? Threadkiller? No. I remember. It was "ThreadSlayer."
Reasonable person
Walden
nickt

Post by nickt »

On 2002-09-23 11:27, Ron Rowe wrote:
Finally, maybe I'm peculiar but I don't see how you can love Irish trad and not love bluegrass, or vice versa. The two genres are remarkably close -- almost certainly because so many "mountain people" came from the British Isles and brought the music with them.

John

[/quote]

Well, I love Irish music to death, but I don't like bluegrass at all. There you go, there's always one! (I will therefore NOT be buying the new Chieftains CD).
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Um, Nick, that was OutofBreath that made that comment not me