First Impressions: tunable Overton high D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Sounds like a couple of folks need to get together to compose and play "Dueling Whistles".

Loren
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

My Bernard...in one powerful blast of soulful chiff...shall bring your Goldie to it's knees in silent worship?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tommy wrote:
peeplj wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: They get better the more you play them. :)

Most whistles seem to improve the more you play them....I've noticed that. Usually these days I recognize that it's not the whistle itself that changes. :wink:
--James
I think Bloomfield was being Bloomfield when he said that. :wink:
I am frequently Bloomfield when I say things.
/Bloomfield
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

And when you're NOT Bloomfield?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

A-Musing wrote:And when you're NOT Bloomfield?
He is the silent one.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

My first reaction was "wow!" My second reaction was "what do I do with all my other high Ds?" :lol:
I've had mine for about a year now and got to meet Colin in Germany where I picked up a C and an A also. I can't say enough good things about Overtons or Colin! I just wish I bought a Bb also. We're doing a number of songs now in Bb where I have to switch to a Generation and I find it hard to keep myself from overblowing. :o
Learning Piper
Location: Out of my mind for a minute. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible.

Post by Learning Piper »

Geez, thanks a bunch guys. It looks like I will just have to throw in the towel and buy the Goldie high D that I have been drooling over lately. And I will have a perfectly good excuse in blaming all you lovely people. :D (Don't listen to me. I have a feeling I will be back thanking you after I receive the blasted thing.) James, were is yours from? Is it an easy or a harder blower
S. K. Cull

Dyslexics of the world; UNTIE!!... Or is it unite?... Nuite?..... AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

It's a harder blower, which is perfect for me. It was ordered from the whistle shop, so there was no waiting list involved, as Thom had one in stock.

I played it some in session last night with Glen Road. It's a great session whistle--and it's not too loud--IF you can control it. I credit having learned to control the "dread" Susato for the fact that the Overton is an extremely easy and flexible whistle for me to play. You have very wide control over tone and volume in both octaves on this whistle.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

peeplj wrote:It's a harder blower, which is perfect for me. It was ordered from the whistle shop, so there was no waiting list involved, as Thom had one in stock.

I played it some in session last night with Glen Road. It's a great session whistle--and it's not too loud--IF you can control it. I credit having learned to control the "dread" Susato for the fact that the Overton is an extremely easy and flexible whistle for me to play. You have very wide control over tone and volume in both octaves on this whistle.

--James
It's wierd how many such references we see to the Susato; funny thing is I never found that to be the case, but maybe I haven't played the types being referenced. I have a very old, one of my first whistle sets, Susato D/C/Bflat set that I think is terrific and eminently "controllable" across two octaves, in fact a rather easy playing nice fairly mellow set. I also have a laser etched Kildare model in low G that is quite lovely and also easy to play and control. In addition, I liked a Susato Bflat that I found in a shop in Kenmare so much that I bought it on the spot, although I already have one or two of them. None of these whistles are too loud or shrill in the upper octave and are wonderfully in tune and balanced.

I think James you were citing these very references rather than subscribing to that opinion.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think James you were citing these very references rather than subscribing to that opinion.
Yep. I like Susatos and play them a great deal.

I don't find them especially hard to play--but I've put in the time to get to know them.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard