Got me an Aebi Six-Key! (with pictures)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Got me an Aebi Six-Key! (with pictures)

Post by pixyy »

About a month ago I bought a one year old 6-key flute by flutemaker Thomas Aebi. It had long been a dream of mine to get to try one - so I was very excited to see one turn up for sale, to witness myself transfering the substantial amount of money and to receive this wonderful instrument in the mail :-)

I've been playing this flute as much as baby and other obligations allowed for the last month. No break in period has great advantages!
I was going to write about how I have played a 6-key Cotter flute for the last 3½years and how I was curious to try a copy of a Rudall & Rose. How the Cotter is a great tool for Irish music and has that open and direct sound that is typical of many of the 'modern' flutes I have tried. I could have commented on how the Aebi is different in nature and that now that I can fill it properly is quite capable of producing that 'big Irish sound' but also has a whole other range of colours.
But all that would cause so much controversy on this board that I would rather just post some pictures for your enjoyment :P

The parts

Larger version of separate parts, with grey background

Whole flute

Me in the Aebi Cupkey (reflection in the key)

The Crown (screwcap stopper adjustment - really cool)

Embouchure closeup (with the brass lining visible)

F-keys

The fine little G# key

An finally the foot joint with the blocks ready for the C and C# keys to be added. I've always wanted an 8-key flute 8)
Also shows Tom Aebi's logo, which is stamped on all the parts

The flute plays as good as it looks, if not better. I'm really enjoying it!

off to play again,
Jeroen
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Vewwy sexy! Congratulations.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Jeroen, how old is your baby? Mine is two weeks old.

:)
~JessieD
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Jessie, he's not really a small baby any longer.
Vincent is 6 months old now.
Not less demanding though.
au contraire :-)
His sister is 3½. So with those two sweety pies, a full time job and lots else it is sometimes a miracle I get to play the flute at all.

Flute playing is my therapy.

So this flute was a health investment... yeah, that's what it was...
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

You sound like my husband! Our daughter is 2 1/2, and Dan had paternity leave (technically), but he was working (on conference calls and e-mail) the entire time. He played the piano for a total of about 10 minutes.
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I must get a baby....

It is by now possible to say straightforwardly what you
think the aebi sounds like without starting a 'controversy'
on the board. Several folks have done this sort
of thing without any resulting drama. Your impressions
are welcome, in fact.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Congratulations Jeroen on your new flute, looks to be a fine one. Prehaps you'll have it with you at the Copenhagen Irish Festival next month? We'll try and get over for the Saturday at least. Morten Holm says there's a good chance that Chris Bayley will be there too. Lisa who lives on Gotland has just got a Grinter 6 key. There will be the first autumn session at the Bishop's Arms this Sunday in Lund, 8th October, 18.15
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Got me an Aebi Six-Key! (with pictures)

Post by Wormdiet »

pixyy wrote: I could have commented on how the Aebi is different in nature and that now that I can fill it properly is quite capable of producing that 'big Irish sound' but also has a whole other range of colours.
But all that would cause so much controversy on this board that I would rather just post some pictures for your enjoyment :P
That's a shame - please post your impressions.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Wormdiet wrote:
pixyy wrote: I could have commented on how the Aebi is different in nature and that now that I can fill it properly is quite capable of producing that 'big Irish sound' but also has a whole other range of colours.
Yes, there's been too much holding back on posting impressions for fear of someone not liking it. Some have gone as far as removing their impressions they posted of a new flute, just because they don't have the "credentials" to have an opinion. That is a shame.

First impressions might not tell all, but they are probably helpful, and at least, interesting reading. Post away! Damn the torpedos!!!
~~~~
Barry
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'll post this impression ... at Augusta I had the pleasure of sitting next to a fantastic young Italian flute player named Immanuel .... ? He is terrific, and the sound he got out of his six-key Aebi was absolutely epic. You could have broken glass with his hard Ds. When I tried it (for all of a minute), not so much :oops:, but with Immanuel behind the wheel, holy smokes! What a combination!

Me and my McGee Pratten felt puny beside him. So .... No question about that big open Irish sound pixxy was talking about, at least not with that flute and that player!

Congratulations, pixxy. You'll have a great time.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Thanks for posting the pictures of your flute, and for giving your impressions of its sounds while pretending not to!

I've had my keyless version for about a month. I love the accurate tuning, the projection, and the relative ease of getting all the notes. I also like that it readily gives a dark tone with some edge.

Have fun with your child, both the wooden one and the live one.

Best,
Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

"I must get a baby.... "

"Have fun with your child, both the wooden one and the live one."

There you go Jim - just get Geppetto to make you one.

If I didn't already have a real one, I'd get a wooden one...they're much cheaper to feed and clothe.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A married couple I know have a very little girl--both are
working full time. She's absolutely charming, but oh, my,
what their lives have become.

But if a baby would get me an aebi!
Does Gepetto have a website?
A nine month waiting list, I'll betcha.
Jim Troy

Post by Jim Troy »

i know how to get an Aebi flute , and i know how to get a good hard bottom D , but a baby ?

and what's the waiting time...
pixyy

Post by pixyy »

Wormdiet wrote:
Cheers everyone for your well wishes, comments and jokes.
The above smiley :P should have had it's tongue in cheek...
I was just having a bit of fun. My impressions, in very brief, are like I obliquely posted. I'm just not into writing lengthy analysis of flute comparisons - I get confused reading these long posts some people are capable of knitting together :-)
Since I like to see pictures and hear soundclips myself, I thought of providing some for other who enjoy that (soundclips will need to wait though).

:)
Jeroen