Most horrible TV commercial

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

"... I will eat this meat..." --- from the same commercial... really...
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rod Sprague »

I found the child in the car commercial whispering “zoom zoom” annoying. I also will not buy goldfish crackers. They had kids running around acting semi-feral. At one point, they sang a horrible, almost unintelligible contraction of “I have gone gold-fishing.” which sounds just like “Gongol fission.” (We need more gongol for the reactor, or we won’t make it!). As a relatively young child, and to this day, I feel like some commercials are implying children are not bright enough to speak in relatively intelligible, proper English.

Rod
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

That Goldfish commercial was the first American commercial Martin saw when he first visited the states. It worked - he said he had to buy them.

They are now sold here, by the way, in limited flavours under the name "Finz". But I've never seen a commercial for them.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

missy wrote:
fel bautista wrote: At the end, they do an over voice and papers and a slide rule are shown. .
I still have my slide rule. It's a great "aid" for teaching the kids significant figures and scientific notation.
I agree. I have one at my desk as well, along with a 15 year old HP calculator. The slide rule is a good way to do a sanity check when you are working on a CAD station and something doesn't feel right with the design. The"kids" (those between 21 and 30) at work wonder how we ever got work done. :P
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Some years ago over here, there was a series of TV adds for Fosters Lager.
A mass produced cocktail of chemicals that is hugely popular among the drinking classes.
Paul Hogan, AKA Crocodile Dundee, was the alleged star of the adds. After three or four blatant adds for the dubious liquid they hit a new tack and ran an add in which Hogan strolled into a very "English" bar and as he gets to the bar, a guy beside him asks for "Two pints of Ramsbottom, a pint of Skullcrusher and a long slow screw against the wall".

Hogan shrugs his shoulders and walks out.

Not one single mention of Fosters Lager..

That was an interesting add.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joseph E. Smith

Brilliant. :lol:
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

Has anyone seen the ads on tv for Head On? It's supposed to get rid of headaches. I think they make the commercial so annoying so that you need their product.
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-An old favorite was a dish soap commercial (Palmolive?) in which viewers are asked in confidential, urgent tone whether they would "...hold hands with a lobster?" as a pleasant looking male & female couple stroll hand in hand happily then break away suddenly as her hand turns into a crusty claw. The same ad was also done with the woman's hand morphing suddenly into a pineapple.

Dishpan hands! Oh, the humanity!
djm

Post by djm »

If you're so annoyed with the Kellog's commercial you should write to them about it. Enough angry viewers can very easily convince an advertiser to pull an ad.

One of my favourite ads recently was for a US cellular company. It was three women sitting around a living room trying to have a very polite an proper tea. One of the women had dark glasses on, was heavily powdered up, and her lips were so stretched and turgid she could hardly speak. She tried to laugh off her error of picking a cosmetic surgeon from an ad on the bus. The second woman tried to alleviate the first woman's embarrassment by pointing out that the third woman of the group had gone with the wrong wireless plan etc. Just at the very end of the ad they show the first woman desparately trying to get her tongue through her lips to get to the tea cup. I nearly choked with laughter.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Alcona, that one is bad! It also seems so cheaply made that I think it reflects on the product. ...not to mention the repeating.

APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD-
missy

Post by missy »

THREAD HIJACK!!!!
dubhlinn wrote: ran an add in which Hogan strolled into a very "English" bar and as he gets to the bar, a guy beside him asks for "Two pints of Ramsbottom, a pint of Skullcrusher and a long slow screw against the wall".
SOMEONE STOLE TOM'S DRINK!!!!

Back quite a few years ago, Tom and a couple of buddies took a "mixology" class at Ohio State. They would make 3 drinks each evening, 10 week class, $33 fee at the time, so it was a cheap way to drink. They had so much fun in it they took the advanced class and they had to come up with a drink of their own at the end of that one. Tom and Reinhard came up with "A Slow Screw up Against the Wall" - orange juice, sloe gin, and I honestly don't remember what all else.
PATENT INFRINGEMENT!!!

end of hijack.......

I'm really shocked no one has quoted a Procter and Gamble commercial yet - they are ALWAYS horrible. Mr. Whipple anyone???
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Joseph E. Smith

"HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY. whimpy whimpy whimpy"
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

OK, now y'all have triggered flashbacks . . .

Here are some of my most-disliked commercials . . . and, yes, they inspired me to never use their products.

Excedrin Headache Number One (or Two, or Three, or THIRTY), which . . . BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! . . . gave you a headache.

Nestle's hot chocolate ad, featuring the incredibly unpleasant (to me, at least) puppet, Farfel, singing "Nestle makes the very best chaaaaaaaaaw klaaat," at the end of which his jaws would snap shut with an audible CLACK. People found this entertaining and I didn't know why. To this day, I'll purchase any brand that is not Nestle.

The Coco Puffs toucan, which shrieked "I'm coo-coo for Coco Puffs . . . coo-coo for Coco Puffs . . . coo-coo for Coco Puffs . . . " over and over at breakneck speed followed by a tropical-bird-like chatter. I found this vaguely upsetting--probably the frantic noise.

That "zoom-zoom" child in the car commercial annoyed me, too, Rod. I never could figure out why. I was looking for a car at the time. Literally, I crossed them off my list of possibilities fearing that I'd hear that child zooming every time I got into the thing.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

missy wrote:THREAD HIJACK!!!!
dubhlinn wrote: ran an add in which Hogan strolled into a very "English" bar and as he gets to the bar, a guy beside him asks for "Two pints of Ramsbottom, a pint of Skullcrusher and a long slow screw against the wall".
SOMEONE STOLE TOM'S DRINK!!!!

Back quite a few years ago, Tom and a couple of buddies took a "mixology" class at Ohio State. They would make 3 drinks each evening, 10 week class, $33 fee at the time, so it was a cheap way to drink. They had so much fun in it they took the advanced class and they had to come up with a drink of their own at the end of that one. Tom and Reinhard came up with "A Slow Screw up Against the Wall" - orange juice, sloe gin, and I honestly don't remember what all else.
PATENT INFRINGEMENT!!!

end of hijack.......

I'm really shocked no one has quoted a Procter and Gamble commercial yet - they are ALWAYS horrible. Mr. Whipple anyone???

Very strange coincidence there Missy. The Long slow screw and another one called Sex on the Beach are two very popular cocktails over this side. I've no idea what goes into them or where they got their names but I see them on the signs pinned around most bars that I wander into.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I think I may hate the Hardee's "big buckin' chicken" commercials more than any other I've ever seen. Re-a-lly. Does anyone actually hear that phrase in their head when this plays? I don't think so. It's depressing.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West